JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This will be our first EJS AND first Jeep trip to Moab. I've been to Moab before on a week of mtb a few years ago.

Got a group of 12 people coming from Louisiana. Seems like everyone's trailering their rigs. Some probably aren't fit for much highway time anyway.

I built my jku with the intent to be able to highway it cross country to wheel and come back home afterwards. The trip is getting close on the calendar and have been a bit undecided on whether to trailer it or drive.

It's 1190 miles one way from here. Jeep drives pretty good and I enjoy driving it around town on the weekends. 40's, 1 tons, hyd assist, c/o's, etc....
I've taken it on one highway trip to Dallas and back, ~3 hours 1 way, but that's the most I've drove it at 1 time.

Curious how many others make the long trip in their built rigs?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've done 5 trips to Moab at 2,400 miles round trip per. I'm only on 37's without hydro. A 20-30 mph crosswind can get annoying but otherwise I don't hesitate to run 80 mph. I've run Pritchett, Rusty Nail and other difficult trails without issues.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The past two years I have driven to Moab in the jeep., actually two different jeeps. This year, it is going on a trailer. Is it because its unfit to drive? no. Is it because it is unsafe at any speed? no. Is it because it is so highly modded that I am constantly worried about stuff breaking and having to spend an extra day or week in Moab to get it fixed? No. Is it because the mileage is horrible and I don't want to have to pay for gas all the way there, and back? Nope again.
The simple reason that I am towing my jeep on a trailer and had to buy a new Diesel powerstroke is for family relations. You see, my wife is tallish at 5'10". She is also a princess, and likes to cross her legs when she is traveling. Because of the tight constraints of the front seat of the jeep, there is no room for her to cross her legs.
And that is why I am hauling my $70,000 jeep on my $4,000 trailer behind my $75,000 truck, so my wife can cross her legs on the trip to Moab.
See, I told you she was a princess.
It is, however, a very nice truck.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've done 5 trips to Moab at 2,400 miles round trip per. I'm only on 37's without hydro. A 20-30 mph crosswind can get annoying but otherwise I don't hesitate to run 80 mph. I've run Pritchett, Rusty Nail and other difficult trails without issues.
You don't count!!! You CAMP in Moab; therefore your standards are different.

One thing to remember, in the mountains you will be down significantly on power. Plan on 5 to 6,000 RPMs in second gear going up the passes if you want to maintain any kind of speed at all!

Check out the JK Experience trips. They drive similar rigs longer distances. Its just personal preference.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The past two years I have driven to Moab in the jeep., actually two different jeeps. This year, it is going on a trailer. Is it because its unfit to drive? no. Is it because it is unsafe at any speed? no. Is it because it is so highly modded that I am constantly worried about stuff breaking and having to spend an extra day or week in Moab to get it fixed? No. Is it because the mileage is horrible and I don't want to have to pay for gas all the way there, and back? Nope again.
The simple reason that I am towing my jeep on a trailer and had to buy a new Diesel powerstroke is for family relations. You see, my wife is tallish at 5'10". She is also a princess, and likes to cross her legs when she is traveling. Because of the tight constraints of the front seat of the jeep, there is no room for her to cross her legs.
And that is why I am hauling my $70,000 jeep on my $4,000 trailer behind my $75,000 truck, so my wife can cross her legs on the trip to Moab.
See, I told you she was a princess.
It is, however, a very nice truck.
HaHAA! Wow

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
30 Years, do I need to say more?
Happy wife, happy life. Yeah, mines like that too but she also likes to stretch out and sleep which is why I had to buy my custom C-130 with two pilots and a loadmaster to push my jeep out on the pallet.........at night. Yeah, life is good. :grin2:

·
Registered
527 Posts
Happy wife, happy life. Yeah, mines like that too but she also likes to stretch out and sleep which is why I had to buy my custom C-130 with two pilots and a loadmaster to push my jeep out on the pallet.........at night. Yeah, life is good. :grin2:
Have you seen how big the back seat area is in a crew cab Ford?..>:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was gonna drive my rig with 1 tons with 40" tires and such. I only live 5hrs from Moab so not a bad drive. I decided to trailer it just for a little insurance if anything goes wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
558 Posts
We did this trip, but we had a HEMI >:)

You don't count!!! You CAMP in Moab; therefore your standards are different.

One thing to remember, in the mountains you will be down significantly on power. Plan on 5 to 6,000 RPMs in second gear going up the passes if you want to maintain any kind of speed at all!

Check out the JK Experience trips. They drive similar rigs longer distances. Its just personal preference.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Im really, Really glad I towed. My steering box got messed up, and if I had to drive it home that way, or more than across town, it would have been a handful. Reminds me of an old Chevy with 10"s of play side to side. Add that to the ESC activating, even with it clicked off every time you needed to correct the direction, it is a handful to drive.
I am going to be interested to see if they warranty it, or deny the warranty. If the warranty is denied, I think it will be time for Hydraulic assist...>:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts