JKOwners Forum banner

Who's broke a rear Rubi shaft?

2K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  desert dog 
#1 ·
As the title states. Anyone break one? I'm contemplating getting a set of cro-mo rears but I cant recall seeing/hearing about someone busting one. Lots of bends, but no brakes.

#3 ·
Fairly common. I have seen it several times on the trail.

What sucks about the rear Rubi axle is that the shafts are not equal lengths, so you have to carry 2 spares if you want to be prepared. X and Sport owners only need to carry 1 shaft to get them home from a trail-fail.

#19 ·
And the lengths should be the same it is the spline count that varies.
Not true at all. Due to the proprietary Rubi locker, the shafts are unequal lengths. The X or Sport models do not suffer this stupid design. Makes carrying trail spares a PITA.

I've got a 550 mile round trip and 4 days on the Rubicon in July and the only thing that worries me is breaking a rear shaft. Looks like I'll get a set of cro-mo's.
I bent/broke a few Superior chomo shafts before getting D60s. Nothing is unbreakable.

#18 ·
Another one- from a JKU.

Attachments

#23 ·
Pretty sure rubi is 32

#24 ·
I'm thinking of 35 spline ARB for my rear setup any comments on that setup..sorry If I derailed..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.