JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title states. Anyone break one? I'm contemplating getting a set of cro-mo rears but I cant recall seeing/hearing about someone busting one. Lots of bends, but no brakes.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I was on the trails with Chris (FastTrack) and he snapped a rear shaft attempting a hill climb and twisted the other rear shaft as well.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Fairly common. I have seen it several times on the trail.

What sucks about the rear Rubi axle is that the shafts are not equal lengths, so you have to carry 2 spares if you want to be prepared. X and Sport owners only need to carry 1 shaft to get them home from a trail-fail.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Fairly common. I have seen it several times on the trail.

What sucks about the rear Rubi axle is that the shafts are not equal lengths, so you have to carry 2 spares if you want to be prepared. X and Sport owners only need to carry 1 shaft to get them home from a trail-fail.
so your saying rubi shafts are different from all the other jeeps despite them both having 44s?

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
so your saying rubi shafts are different from all the other jeeps despite them both having 44s?
what he is saying is the left and right shafts in the rubi axle are different lengths....they are also different then older 44's...you cannot use another 44 shaft in a jk rubi axle, if thats what you are thinking

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Right on, that's what I was looking for to put me over the edge. I've got a 550 mile round trip and 4 days on the Rubicon in July and the only thing that worries me is breaking a rear shaft. Looks like I'll get a set of cro-mo's.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
what he is saying is the left and right shafts in the rubi axle are different lengths....they are also different then older 44's...you cannot use another 44 shaft in a jk rubi axle, if thats what you are thinking
ok but what about the non rubi's. Are they different lengths or the same?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
If I remember right, the Rubi shafts are 32 spline and non-Rubi shafts are 30 spline.

·
Registered
803 Posts
listed on Alloy USA Website, Superior Axle Catalog,.....

·
Registered
397 Posts
Right on, that's what I was looking for to put me over the edge. I've got a 550 mile round trip and 4 days on the Rubicon in July and the only thing that worries me is breaking a rear shaft. Looks like I'll get a set of cro-mo's.
We broke the passenger side rear, a Superior EV52 that is, so chro mos are still no guarantee.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Another one- from a JKU.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
And the lengths should be the same it is the spline count that varies.
Not true at all. Due to the proprietary Rubi locker, the shafts are unequal lengths. The X or Sport models do not suffer this stupid design. Makes carrying trail spares a PITA.

I've got a 550 mile round trip and 4 days on the Rubicon in July and the only thing that worries me is breaking a rear shaft. Looks like I'll get a set of cro-mo's.
I bent/broke a few Superior chomo shafts before getting D60s. Nothing is unbreakable.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts