JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's TJ

Yes, those are JK tires/wheels.

Now that the weather is cooling off a bit down here in TX, and I had promised my daughter that I would put a lift on her TJ as soon as it was cool enough to work on it without dying of heat stroke.... I'm going to add a budget boost (because she wants the lifted look). I'm thinking 2" BB + 1" BL. Because I think it will need 3" to give it a lifted look since it is running 32's. But I don't want to spend the bucks to do a full suspension lift on her rig since it will never be wheeled.

It's an automatic.

Any issues or pitfalls I need to watch out for with this setup?

any idea who has the best price on BB and BL for TJ's?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Should be fine on that setup. My LJ has had a ProComp 2" budget boost (springs and shocks) for a while. The shocks went out in the rear and the fronts are making noise but I have 30k miles and heavy 35's and wheel it decently hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I would also recommend a steering upgrade because the y-link steering is complete shit on TJ's. And it's complete shittier when you lift it because it changes the steering angles on the Y.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
True, though with 2" and 32" A/T's you will be fine for a bit. I have need to address my steering big time to deal with the 35" MTRs. All i have done is a HD tie rod. So many projects to be done, so little money...

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
If I remember correctly, you are okay on stock arms and driveshaft angles up to 4" of lift, anything more you need a SYE for the rear. The steering should be addressed though.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
forgive my ignorance, but what is a Y-Link? Why do I need to replace it? At what point does it need replacing?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
The drag link and tie rod are configured in a Y shape, more so than the JK looks. That is what is being referred to...

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
forgive my ignorance, but what is a Y-Link? Why do I need to replace it? At what point does it need replacing?
The tie rod and drag link actually connect near the middle to create a "Y".
So there is no independent tie rod between the knuckles. And there is no independent drag link.

The stock "tie rod" portion of the link is weak as hell. You can actually grab it and flex it by hand. Pretty pathetic.

Also, as you lift the vehicle, the angles change on the Y. And as your longer suspension cycles, the toe changes throughout the cycle.

Add bigger tires and steeper angles to a flimsy half-tie-rod and watch what happens... wobble wobble wobble...:jeep1:..:explode:...:skull:

The JK has an independent tie rod and drag link. Much better system, especially when you upgrade to heavier links.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok. thanks for the explanation.

So do you have a recommendation on which replacement to get?

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
There are a lot of aftermarket systems that convert the TJ/XJ steering to a more conventional tie rod and drag link setup.
It's also pretty easy to do yourself if you can cut tubing and weld in inserts.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Currie, because even though it's much heavier material, it still keeps the Y configuration.

Check out Rock Krawler, Rusty's has a good system, Rocky-road, ORO U-turn, etc... there a lots to chose from.:)

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are a lot of aftermarket systems that convert the TJ/XJ steering to a more conventional tie rod and drag link setup.
It's also pretty easy to do yourself if you can cut tubing and weld in inserts.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Currie, because even though it's much heavier material, it still keeps the Y configuration.

Check out Rock Krawler, Rusty's has a good system, Rocky-road, ORO U-turn, etc... there a lots to chose from.:)
what exactly am I looking for? Can you link me to one so I know what to look at?

Sorry. I am just really lost on the TJ

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
This has been one of my favorites because it uses tie rod ends instead of heims. TRE's are usually preferred for a daily driver.
And it's pretty affordable.
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/jeep-steering-comonents-conversions-upgrades/rustys-jeep-steering-conversions/rustys-jeep-xj-tj-yj-tie-rod-conversion.html

Some people don't like that the drag link connects to the tie rod(instead of the knuckle), but unless you use heim joints, it's tough to have the drag link connect at the knuckle with TRE's unless you use a custom knuckle like ORO's.

Sometimes, with the drag link connecting to the tie rod, there can be a tendency for the drag link to "roll" the tie rod a bit, since it's pushing and pulling against it. But I've used this system before on a TJ and it worked very well. Huge improvement over the stock steering and nice beefy bars. :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
MY Wife's LJ Daily Drive

We used Old Man Emu HD coils springs (slightly used out of the classifieds) in the front and kept the stock Rubicon coils in the rear. Kept the Stock shocks too but they could be a little stiffer. With the Modern Classic Enterprises flat front fenders and the Xenon rear fenders (both bought new) we stuffed some 33x10.5's under there. Real easy and didn't change much of the stock driving characteristics. Drives real nice too. A little (very little) bump steer but we can fix that easy with an adjustable front track bar but its been about 5 months and it hasn't driven her crazy. Only other issue is that the tires rub the lower control arm at full lock. We could adjust the steering stops but better yet we plan on adding a set of lower control arms that have a slight inward curve to avoid contact.
So it has the lifted look she was after but still drives pretty much like stock and she doesn't need a step ladder to get in which is great for a lil 5 foot girl.
Future plans include the Rusty's Steering conversion and an Under Cover Fab No body lift tummy tuck. It already has bumpers/winch, Rocker armor, JKS disco's diff covers, radiator guard and mopar skids. It wheels really well too. We took it places that Lifted JK's on 37's went and made them look like wussies.

·
Registered
6,148 Posts
I think your fine for your setup, its not worth the money swapping over the streering esp for a street rig. I have the Currie on my Jeep same as stock config 200% stronger.

Jason

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
its not worth the money swapping over the streering esp for a street rig.
I tend to disagree with this. I've had 3 TJ's myself, so not just shooting from the hip.
I think it's just as important (if not more), to have a solid steering system on a vehicle that will travel at freeway speeds in traffic, as it is on one that will see only trails.
I'm just saying, bigger heavier tires warrant a steering upgrade on a TJ. It is well worth the money.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I tend to disagree with this. I've had 3 TJ's myself, so not just shooting from the hip.
I think it's just as important (if not more), to have a solid steering system on a vehicle that will travel at freeway speeds in traffic, as it is on one that will see only trails.
I'm just saying, bigger heavier tires warrant a steering upgrade on a TJ. It is well worth the money.
I see where your coming from and I know you use your Jeep more than the average JK owner. Its a $800-$1000 upgrade on a TJ and I might just go Jk axles in the future if I keep the LJ much longer. But on a street Jeep seems like a steep upgrade.

Jason

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I see where your coming from and I know you use your Jeep more than the average JK owner. Its a $800-$1000 upgrade on a TJ and I might just go Jk axles in the future if I keep the LJ much longer. But on a street Jeep seems like a steep upgrade.

Jason
Here is a very nice system made of .25 wall DOM, including tie rod ends, for $275. :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Here is a very nice system made of .25 wall DOM, including tie rod ends, for $275. :)
Ok and you still need a knuckle. Where's the link?

Jason

1 - 20 of 49 Posts