JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a set of Ping Eye 2's that I'm wondering something about. Everything I find online shows silver clubs, but all of mine are a brass or bronze finish (except the sand wedge). Great weight to em, fun to swing. I just wish I knew more about em.

Bueller?

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Those are called Beryllium. The Eye2 clubs are a great set of clubs. They were a breakthrough in the design of golf clubs back in the day. I had a set years ago and sold them for a newer ping model...wish I had kept them.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is what my google fu tells me:

I have a 4-W set of conforming groove irons (still not sure about the different metal). Still wondering if these being a different metal will help or hurt a value.

I think the sand wedge is my wildcard. It's a + which is from the period when the clubs were deemed "non-conforming" and were no longer allowed on tour.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those are called Beryllium. The Eye2 clubs are a great set of clubs. They were a breakthrough in the design of golf clubs back in the day. I had a set years ago and sold them for a newer ping model...wish I had kept them.
Interesting. They came to me as a replacement set when mine were lost (stolen) betwenn Malaga and Madrid. I played that set of Callaway X20's through Edinburgh, St. Andrews and the oldest course in the world. So the Pings were a reall nice surprise.

Thing is, I had a buddy buy me a beautiful set of Taylormade irons. And I can't hit a Maple tree with em compared to the Pings.

LOL What're Taylormades worth?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have a early 2000 set of i/3's and love em.

My dad used to play with a set of the 2's, mid '90s I think. He thought they were great, he only recently switched to a set of graphite shafted clubs a few years back.

the things I'd check are the shaft length (if they are too long get them cut down to size) and maybe regrip the ones you swing the most with a grip that feels good to you.

I have sticky grips that are a little fatter than standard. I can put a decent backspin on my shots inside of 45 yards.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DD. Those are sweet clubs. The berylium clubs they made were softer than the steel. More control. But not as long as the steel ones. More for a feel player as apposed to someone who wants to bomb it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
625 Posts
How did you like St Andrews?

my dad and I joined the Coober Pety Australia golf club so we can play at St Andrews as members. The two are linked as sister courses.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a early 2000 set of i/3's and love em.

My dad used to play with a set of the 2's, mid '90s I think. He thought they were great, he only recently switched to a set of graphite shafted clubs a few years back.

the things I'd check are the shaft length (if they are too long get them cut down to size) and maybe regrip the ones you swing the most with a grip that feels good to you.

I have sticky grips that are a little fatter than standard. I can put a decent backspin on my shots inside of 45 yards.
The one thing the guy who gave em to me said as a caveat was:

Don't EVER get the original Ping grips replaced. It will ruin the value

I actually kinda like the grips. I just use a glove and get a pretty decent grip on em. May swap em back into rotation for next year.

·
Banned
15,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DD. Those are sweet clubs. The berylium clubs they made were softer than the steel. More control. But not as long as the steel ones. More for a feel player as apposed to someone who wants to bomb it.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk
Damned right. I just thought it was weird that this beater looking set of irons could be something all that special. Then I used em and was really surprised at how much more control I had as opposed to the steel clubs I was used to.

2-3 hundred for the Taylor's if they are a newer line and in good to new condition. 2-w steal shaft
Werd. Who likes TaylorMade? <1 year old.

How did you like St Andrews?

my dad and I joined the Coober Pety Australia golf club so we can play at St Andrews as members. The two are linked as sister courses.
You kiddin me? It was St. Andrews, Scotland man! My buddy and I landed in Glasgow and without stopping for a blink of sleep & drove out and played a round in Edinburgh. Little muni course down the street from our hotel called the Braid Hills. Fecking sweetest gold course I've ever been on. I played Merion East & West, the oldest course in the world (oddly, not the one you would think) every course at Andrews, save one and another 3 courses in Edinburgh that were of little consequence that year. Braid Hills was by far the most fun I had on a golf course. Paid $25 to play. Still wasn't the cheapest in Scotland though. Played the oldest course in the world for free. Starter was shitfaced and overslept:smokin:

As for Andrews? Shit, that's Mecca, man. It's the home of Golf. If you go, do it in June around the solstice/equinox, whatever we get then. It never gets dark. It's AWESOME. We got into Andrews at 6:30 PM & paid for an unlimited 3 day pass that began immediately on all courses but The Olde. So we went over and just walked right on at the New Course. Temps had averaged about 80*F that week we were there. Impossibly hot for most locals to golf. My buddy and I felt right at home in that weather. Hell, it only rained on us once and that was while we were playing the free round on the oldest course at Musselburgh Links.

We walked onto some of the most challenging golf in the world in 30-40mph winds. Andrews will grind you down. Sucks watching none of your drives on the entire front 9 exceed 180 yards. But teh back 9 is like butter. 300 yard bombs are not out of question on some holes in high wind, not to mention that the ball rolls for miles on those firm fairways....Yeah, safe to say I liked Andrews a LOT. If you're a member of R&A, you can get inside their clubhouse. Mountain of golf history right on that very spot.

I definitely recommend getting a pic taken on Swilkin bridge. Got mine snapped at sunset - around 11:45 PM:grinpimp:

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Ok, I have a set of Ping Eye 2's that I'm wondering something about. Everything I find online shows silver clubs, but all of mine are a brass or bronze finish (except the sand wedge). Great weight to em, fun to swing. I just wish I knew more about em.
Dan,

I have played with a set of Callaway Beryllium irons since 1996/97 !!! I love them.

Previously I played mostly with Hogan irons. Having grown up near the plant it's what brand we all (my friends) played growing up.

For some reason I find the Beryllium clubs play straighter for my swing. I have had the opportunity to upgrade my clubs a few times but simply prefer this Beryllium set of irons that Callaway made 15 years ago !!!

Just my 2¢ :beer:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Just got some Titleist AP2's...still like the old Eye2 better.
Im playing With my grandpas Older ping eye 2's as well. I love them. I'm looking at the Calloway diablos or the Nike sq matchspeed. Any one tried them?

Sent with braille ::..:..

·
Registered
625 Posts
Don't EVER get the original Ping grips replaced. It will ruin the value
that makes since, I was thinking along the lines of playability and keeping them long term... I had my pings custom fit (lengh of shaft, head deg, and grips) after the cost of all that I'm keeping mine a long time.

Thanks for the .02 on Andrews.
My mom says that my dad named me after that corse. I'm setting up my year so I can take my dad for a golf trip this coming summer.
I'm excited, though I think I'll get destroyed by the links over there.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I recently hurt my knee and had to get stitches. It was sore as shit for about 3 days. My SW made a great cane :thefinger:

I'm planning on a new set of clubs in the Spring. Not sure if I'm going with Ping yet or not. I really like the new G20 clubs.

·
Registered
650 Posts
As mentioned, your Ping Eye 2's are made from beryllium copper, hence the color. They have a slightly softer feel to them when compared to the stainless steel Pings. As for value, Ping Eye 2's haven't quite reached collector status yet but when they do, the beryllium copper ones will be worth more. Oh, and yes....original grips add value, especially when in good condition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.