JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
After a rock cracked mine, the window place put in a PPG one. The Mopar OEM one would have been an extra $120 my insurance would not have covered. So far the PPG one has outlasted the OEM one! It has even taken a few nasty hits here in Detroit, damn gravel haulers...

·
Registered
573 Posts
A local Dallas area company installed a 'generic' (still has all the DOT markings) windshield in mine (in front of my house!) for a shade under $200.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Safelite put a windshield on my wife's Mini last year and did $700 worth of body damage during the installation. The windshield also had qc problems with a flat spot on it and moisture inside it on the laminated surface.
Insurance got another vendor to come out and install a PPG and paid the bodyshop of my choice to repair the body damage.
They also gave me an ES350 as a loaner.

I would never use safelite again.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
safelite has cahnged all 6 of mine i get a lot or rocks lol but they always have changed them with the OEM made in mexico MOPAR window

·
Registered
294 Posts
I need to get mine replaced but its gonna cost a fortune (to me) apparently...

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a good one for ya all. Safelite $389. The stealership $300. Guess where im gonna go.:thefinger:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Safelite replaced mine with an OEM Mopar. They did a clean job and even got the reveal around the glass even, unlike the factory slap-in. No problems except the time it took to order it. I figure from the number of JK's running around with cracked windshields, I'll get to know these guys pretty well.

Florida - 100% coverage by insurance (required by state law). Just make sure it "happened" in Florida when you talk to the insurance co., or it's a no go on the coverage...

·
Registered
62 Posts
replaced mine........... guy came out and did it all while i watched him and it has lasted longer than the factory one so far and it only cost me $161.00. and its the tinted green one like the factory. makes me not feel so bad, lol

·
Registered
50 Posts
Safelite replaced mine with their "cheaper" version....it has held up fine for almost a year. It was almost $100 cheaper than the Mopar one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Safelite is junk, IMHO. Glass is made by them in house and it appears that they tak shortcuts.My wifes CR-V had to have the glass replaced 3 times with that crap. The fourth time I told the insurance company I wanted to go with someone else, had a different vendor install Pilkington (OEM) and it lasted for another two years before we sold the vehicle.

I watched the guy who did the glass on the oem(4th glass), he showed me how they butchered the **** out of the paint around the glass and how they didnt use enough urethane which most likely caused the air leaks and glass breaking in the corners....metal to glass contact is never good.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Safelite is junk, IMHO. Glass is made by them in house and it appears that they tak shortcuts.My wifes CR-V had to have the glass replaced 3 times with that crap. The fourth time I told the insurance company I wanted to go with someone else, had a different vendor install Pilkington (OEM) and it lasted for another two years before we sold the vehicle.

I watched the guy who did the glass on the oem(4th glass), he showed me how they butchered the **** out of the paint around the glass and how they didnt use enough urethane which most likely caused the air leaks and glass breaking in the corners....metal to glass contact is never good.
This ^^^

·
Registered
868 Posts
Safelite replaced mine with an OEM glass or it at least looks exactly like OEM, haven't had a single problem and it looked better than factory. My wife has had about 6 soon to be 7 windshields replaced on her Honda, but the Honda's a rock, bird, branch, and others magnet. Never had a problem with them, always did a good job.

I would say that some of the problems lie with the installer not the product.

Ron

1 - 19 of 19 Posts