JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard rumblings that someone or a few people have fit the JL Audio 900/5 Amp in where the stock infinity amp fits. Anyone read or see this post anywhere? Looking to see how much had to be cut to make this work.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any link to the Alpine write up? I really don't want to mount an amp under the seat. I've swamped my Jeep a few times, and even though I have a new 4" long arm to install, there is no guarantee that water isn't going to find it's way in again. Plus it would make washing out the floor a nail biting experience.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have M600/1 sitting on the floor and was think on mounting in the glove box area minus the glove box. Talk about TINY....

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was going to shoe horn mine in the stock location, but decided it was not worth the hassle. I ended up mounting it under driver side seat.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I want to do a stealth install on my rig... From April - September, my rig doesn't even see it's doors or top, and I want to give the impression when it is parked, that it is completely stock, for theft deterence purposes. In fact, for this very reason, I am upgrading my head unit to a factory RES with Sirius, just to get the satellite radio, but am not upgrading to a MyGig (unless one drops into my lap cheaply) or an aftermarket Double-DIN, for cost savings, and again, theft deterence.

I really want to know if I can fit that JL-900-5 under the dash. I'm going to do my best to get it in there. It may require a shoehorn, vaseline, or a press. :laughing:

RC

·
Registered
345 Posts
I want to do a stealth install on my rig... From April - September, my rig doesn't even see it's doors or top, and I want to give the impression when it is parked, that it is completely stock, for theft deterence purposes. In fact, for this very reason, I am upgrading my head unit to a factory RES with Sirius, just to get the satellite radio, but am not upgrading to a MyGig (unless one drops into my lap cheaply) or an aftermarket Double-DIN, for cost savings, and again, theft deterence.

I really want to know if I can fit that JL-900-5 under the dash. I'm going to do my best to get it in there. It may require a shoehorn, vaseline, or a press. :laughing:

RC
You can fit it in, it will take some trimming of the ac/heat duct vent that blows out down there, and making some custom brackets. Trimming the duct is easy to do since it is just plastic. The brackets would take a lot of time to figure out.

The reason I did not take that approach is that I did not want to blow hot air on it in the winter, it gets hot enough as is. I suppose you could divert the air from hitting the amp after trimming the duct, I was just being lazy when I did mine.

The other option is in the glove box. I have seen people cut the box so only the door remains, but you will lose space.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
You can fit it in, it will take some trimming of the ac/heat duct vent that blows out down there, and making some custom brackets. Trimming the duct is easy to do since it is just plastic. The brackets would take a lot of time to figure out.

The reason I did not take that approach is that I did not want to blow hot air on it in the winter, it gets hot enough as is. I suppose you could divert the air from hitting the amp after trimming the duct, I was just being lazy when I did mine.

The other option is in the glove box. I have seen people cut the box so only the door remains, but you will lose space.

Solid advice. I'm not above redirecting the air, but I may have to appropriate an additional glove box so I can keep my original one... Good idea!

RC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts