JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new at jkowners. Ive been a fan of JK. I am getting
one sometime soon this summer. I ve coming to realize that alot of members on this forum has the
2007 JK. It made me wonder should if I
buy the new one that is 2011 or get the used one 2007 for the better price. which year is best to buy. also shld i just buy the sports or the rubi one? thanks for the help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
one more thing. whats different between rubi and the sports ?
i know the rubi and sports one has the different gear ratio front and rear. will it be cheaper if i upgrade from sports one.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Rubicons have locking differentials, electrical disconnected swaybars, and off-road tires from the factory.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
There really isn't much difference in years.

07 didn't have the TPMS and I believe the way to shut off the ESP is different. 11 got new interiors.

That's about it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Here's my opinion, and we all know what opinions are like..

The 2007:
You will be buying someone eleses problems and possible neglagence. However, you should be able to save enough coin to start making it "your own" straight away.

The 2011:
Obviously new, making you not have any major worries for a while, including any bigger maintanence items. You'll know the complete history of the vehicle. At a higher price tag, you may not have the $$ to do major work as quickly as you would like to. Major work could potentially void any warranty that you would get.

Sport vs. Rubi:
If you know what you're doing, heck even if you don't, but you have a vision up slapping on lots of cool parts (i.e. new axles, lift, etc.) ask yourself what is going to be left on a Rubicon that you will have paid a higher price tag for?

If you're not mechanically inclined and don't think you're going to add on the thousands of dollars worth of upgraded parts but want something (more) ready for the then maybe a stock rubicon may be in your future.

Executive Summary (at the end I know....):
Not having many changes mechanically through these model years, IMO the decision should come down to intended usage and your desire to sink a lot more money into upgraded parts. The 2007 Sport should offer the best platform for the lowest dollar to really build-up what you want it to be. A new 2011 Rubi will offer a more trail-worthy rig at day 1, but at a higher cost. A non-issue if you don't think you'll have the money or inclination to want to upgrade parts.

Hope this helped.

Steve

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
dont forget the rubi has thr 4 to 1 transfer case, good for rock crawling, bad for sand. if iwas looking at buying now and could afford a new one id wait and see the 2012's just to see if the motor/tranny really is better. i also like the new interior of the 11's

·
Registered
243 Posts
From what I have read and seen not many differences, but a couple that matter to me.

First decide which model, X, sport, sahara, rubi, etc.

Pretty sure '10's and up have bigger front brakes, also if your going to run a soft top the soft tops are MUCH improved for '09 and up, much easier to get on and off.

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Rule of buying ANY 4x4: when you buy used, you are buying EVERYTHING that person ever did with that vehicle. And with a 4x4 - that can be quite a lot.

Oh, and get the rubicon. Otherwise, you'll find yourself looking for front axle upgrades in the future. Ask me how I know ;).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Welcome to JKO bud.

Sent via Morse Code using my iJeep

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I personally don't care for buying the first year (or two) of any drastically changed vehicle so, I would stay away from an 07 (and 08) off that principle as the JK (being VERY different from the preceding TJ) was introduced in 07. It's my general rule as there are generally bugs to be worked out from a new model. This may not be the case with JKs though, as Jeep seems to like to leave the bugs in, LOL!

Being a NOOB here, my above observation regarding intro years is NOT based off of JK specific experience but rather automotive experience overall.

Just a guess (like I said I am a NOOB here) but, I would guess the preponderance of 07's here is mostly due to two factors:
1) being 4 years old, lots of people that bought their JKs new have got them paid off and can afford more $$$ for mods.
2) being 4 years old, the intro price for a used JK purchase is lower so, can afford mods

All that said, I bought a new 2011, yeah, I can't afford HUGE mods to it right off the bat BUT, I don't have to deal with problems caused by PO hacked things! (I have had some bad past experience with Previous Owner hacked stuff and no sir, I don't like it! LOL!!!) I have never been in a JK previous to the 2011 so, I can't comment on the interior differences but, to me, the 2011 interior ir REALLY nice!!! (I'd assume the earlier ones to be nice too, I just have never seen the interiors of them)

Oh, and I bought a Rubicon so that I would have great capabilities right off the bat! But, if you plan to do a lot of mods anyway, the Rubicon may not be the wisest investment. Also, the 4:1 transfercase in the Rubicon is a great rockcrawling setup but, for sand or mud, the regular 2.72:1 in the other models might would be better! (this I base off having had a totally different vehicle that had a 4:1 low range transfer case and my experience with it but, I think that observation is still perfectly applicable to the JK).

·
Registered
476 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am new at jkowners. Ive been a fan of JK. I am getting
one sometime soon this summer. I ve coming to realize that alot of members on this forum has the
2007 JK. It made me wonder should if I
buy the new one that is 2011 or get the used one 2007 for the better price. which year is best to buy. also shld i just buy the sports or the rubi one? thanks for the help.
All of this really depends on your plans for the future honestly. If you want it to be more capable out of the box and don't plan on many mods, then go for a new rubi. People here have already mentioned the advantages of the rubi vs the others. If you don't plan on offroading too much, then don't waste the money for the rubi upgrades.

If your plans are to mod it yourself and you don't care about the new interior, then go with an older non-rubi. Shop around too. I got a great deal on an '07 X and the previous owner had a lot of factory options added. In fact, there were so many that the only things that a rubi has that mine doesn't are the 4:1 t-case and the front Dana 44 locker. I have a locking rear, e-disco and everything.

There was write up in one of the offroad mags not too long ago that compared the rubi with the lesser models and their final word was that the rubi wasn't worth the extra money because you could make just as capable of machine for less than the difference in cost.

Ultimately the final decision is yours but just figured I would throw out some more food for thought.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Welcome! And have fun finding out what you want, unless you got the bank account to do whatever you want, i'd start out small and go from there. I bought an '07 back in '09 and have slowly put up grades into it. Meanwhile, while my bank account recovers from my spending spree, I go out and wheel and noticed what my up grades have improved. Makes you appreicate it more, just have fun learning and go broke in the process.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
2012...they are actually getting an engine with some ass behind it

·
Registered
912 Posts
I like the electrical system in my 07. 160 amp alternator, none of that canbus stuff, no tpms, easy esp off......... just easier to work with.
for a builder rig 07 would be fine. If you dont want to tinker get a rubi off the shelf.:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts