JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, a poster mentioned that we could bypass the 4-Lo locker restriction by grounding one wire at the t-case. I'd like some help in finding the relay/wire. The thread is at http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2212. Doing so would allow me to use the lockers in 4-Hi/Lo, but keep the stock switch setup. I posted this question to that thread, but it's kind of old so I thought I'd ask here. I also need to figure out whether it'll work with a 2015 HR. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
I think he was asking.... And I suspect the answer is no. With the way CANBUS works in these newer Jeeps the "signal" from the t-case is likely not just a simple ground, but maybe.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
It's also worth noting that putting it into low range does more than make the 4x4 light come on. Engine parameters, shift points, ETC inputs, all change based on the 2H-4H-4L selection. I'm not sure it'll like being "tricked".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. That's a good point. It may be better to just use one of the kits or re-wire the relays under the hood. That way, the computer shouldn't think that it's in Lo.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Look into the Diablo and superchips jeep specific tuners. They can lock your axles in high range but you have to use the touch screen instead of your locker switch. Another positive is they have performance tunes in them as well. From what I have read you get more nori ingle increase in power with the high octane tunes. I don't have either yet, but I'm leaning towards the Diablo since you can load custom tunes onto it and you can't with the superchips.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Mason. I don't think Superchips has one for the 2015 HR with the locker feature. Another unit that should work is the Bully Dog 40417.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The switch in the t-case is a 5 position switch with a different resistance for each position.
The TIPM sends 5 volts to the switch. Depending on which t-case range is selected, a certain voltage leaves the switch and is routed back to the TIPM. The TIPM gives the voltage reading to the PCM.

Based on the above info, I don't think simply grounding the t-case switch will fool the PCM into thinking the t-case is in 4wd.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Thanks, Mason. I don't think Superchips has one for the 2015 HR with the locker feature. Another unit that should work is the Bully Dog 40417.
I put a 40417 bully dog in mine the other day and still NO lockers in 2wd or 4HI...not a big deal to me. I bought it for the speedo correction and a few other things it offered.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks. Good thing to know. It's interesting that some guys swear by them and they don't work in other units. I hope that the factory resolves the issue for you. Support's important. I still, however, want to look at some of the easy wiring bypasses that others have used successfully. For me, I rather just have the locker bypass than any of the features offered by the tuners for $$$. Check this: http://www.offroadengineering.com/product-locker-switches.html About $95.00

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I put a 40417 bully dog in mine the other day and still NO lockers in 2wd or 4HI...not a big deal to me. I bought it for the speedo correction and a few other things it offered.
were you using the locker switches or using the programmer? on the diablosport, its in the programmer special functions.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
>Based on the above info, I don't think simply grounding the t-case switch will fool the
>PCM into thinking the t-case is in 4wd.

Aside from the t-case suggestion, there are a few pointers for the under-hood relays that folks have used with success, as in the link I cited in my first post. Maybe it's not do-able, but my preference still is to stick with the stock switch and use 4-hi & lo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts