· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which tire should I get?

KM2's or MT/R's?

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yep...big decision for just around $2,000. Want to make sure I get the right tire.

· Premium Member
15,301 Posts
I've run both.

MTRs- Run true to advertised size, handle rocks and mud well, have decent sidewall protection, wear evenly when aligned properly, have great road manners... even on wet roads, and are very quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern. Main drawback is that they can sometimes take a good deal of weight to balance, but that's generally in a larger size. 3 of my 37" MTR's took around 4oz but 1 took over 8oz.

KM2s- Run smaller than advertised size by about 1", handle rocks well/ do "okay" in mud, tend to chunk pretty bad on granite, wear evenly when properly aligned but tend to wear a bit faster than the MTR's, are louder than MTRs on-road... especially in larger sizes, handle pretty well on the street but tend to hydroplane more than MTR's on wet pavement, and generally balance easily without a ton of weight.

That's my experience. I would get the MTR's. I think that you'll be very pleased with them.

· Registered
13,219 Posts
Trail Grapplers or Toyos...

But I suppose if I had to pick, I guess Kevlars. Been extremely happy with my Trail Grapplers over my previous KM2s

· Registered
3,175 Posts
I would do the MTRs w/K of the two, as I had both, but keep in mind that they are difficult to balance. Which size you plan on going with? The 35x12.5 seem to be problematic. I had to have mine road forced to get them to ride smooth on road at speeds of 45+. Wearing good, I have about 12K on mine, and they have over 75 % tread left.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
I've run both.

MTRs- Run true to advertised size, handle rocks and mud well, have decent sidewall protection, wear evenly when aligned properly, have great road manners... even on wet roads, and are very quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern. Main drawback is that they can sometimes take a good deal of weight to balance, but that's generally in a larger size. 3 of my 37" MTR's took around 4oz but 1 took over 8oz.

KM2s- Run smaller than advertised size by about 1", handle rocks well/ do "okay" in mud, tend to chunk pretty bad on granite, wear evenly when properly aligned but tend to wear a bit faster than the MTR's, are louder than MTRs on-road... especially in larger sizes, handle pretty well on the street but tend to hydroplane more than MTR's on wet pavement, and generally balance easily without a ton of weight.

That's my experience. I would get the MTR's. I think that you'll be very pleased with them.
Me too with all of the above.

· Registered
763 Posts
Ummm. Firestone Destination M/T's

Haven't had the opportunity to mud or rock climb in them but the sand, dry, wet traction and cornering are excellent. Noise is not bad at all, I have certainly heard worse M/T tires out there. Have about 7,000 miles on them so far...no chunking, peeling, etc. I believe these tires are cheaper than the tires you have listed as well.

· Premium Member
170 Posts
Interesting results so far. I had the BFG's (38") and I was very happy with them, my next set will be BFG's in the 40" size. I never really considered the GY's. Most of the people I have talked to (So Cal.) prefer the BFG to the GY... One BIG plus for the GY is price, they are much less than the BFG's (in the larger sizes).

· Registered
368 Posts
I think both are good choices. I'm currently running the BFG KM2's, and haven't had any problems. I also haven't experienced any chunking from granite, nor hydroplaning on wet roads. I've got almost 20K miles on them, and there is a lot of life left...but I do include the spare with the tire rotations. Oh yeah, no problems balancing them, and they are not true sizes.

At the time the MTR's w/K weren't available, they were on a Nationwide Back-order for several months. But I also remember hearing that they don't do well in icy conditions. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

· Registered
8,446 Posts
Never owned a set of KM2s but every one I have seen was at least 1" less than the advertised height so if you are looking for a true 37" for example, look at getting a 38" or 40" KM2.

I have 37" MTRs and they were a bitch to balance but if you can find a good shop who has experience with balancing larger tires around you, this shouldnt be a problem. They were with .5" of the advertised height, wear well and ride smooth. They were on national back order when I got them but I hear this isnt as much of an issue anymore.

· Registered
793 Posts
I wanted the MTR/Ks....they were on backorder at the time and from what I have seen since I bought my KM2s, they MTR/Ks are always on backorder. That said if something were to ever happen you are running the risk of the tire not being available should you want to buy another.

I like my KM2s...not in love with them. They suck on wintry roads but they have never left me out on the trail. I do have some chunking on a couple. They do very well on the road.

That said I won't buy these tires again. I am looking into something else. Prob go the route of Goody and get the Trail Grapplers.

· Registered
218 Posts
Never owned a set of KM2s but every one I have seen was at least 1" less than the advertised height so if you are looking for a true 37" for example, look at getting a 38" or 40" KM2.

I have 37" MTRs and they were a bitch to balance but if you can find a good shop who has experience with balancing larger tires around you, this shouldnt be a problem. They were with .5" of the advertised height, wear well and ride smooth. They were on national back order when I got them but I hear this isnt as much of an issue anymore.
I agree ^^ I love my 37" mtr's. Discount tire had no problem balancing them at all, but then again, the shop I went to does a lot of off road tire so they're used to it. They used more weights than some other 37's I was told. I don't really care tho.

I've been told by several people that have gone through more than one set of the mtr's to rotate them every 2,500 miles vs 3,000 as they may be prone to cupping a little sooner than other tires based on their tread pattern

· Premium Member
3,725 Posts
I have run both 35" and 37" MTR's and love them. Never had a balance problem with them. They are good on the road, very good on the dirt and loose rock and superior on the slab rocks. Taller than the KM2.

I am not a mud guy so I stay away from it but I was wheeling with a buddy at an ORV park and a moonsoon hit, his KM2's did do better in the mud than my MTR's...other than that I have always felt that the MTR was better in every other category.

Christmas night it was really raining here in North Georgia and it was the first time I had really had the jeep out in that kind of rain for more than just a couple miles. I drove about 45 miles with a lot of water on the pavement and I was very impressed with the MTR's in the rain.

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Road tire or trail tire.... and what kind of wheeling do you do and what percentage.

Fucking important question to have answers to to get a reliable answer back.

Now... being blind about this, I wholeheartedly recommend the KM2s and let me tell you why. I am giving you my thoughts, based upon my wheeling and the folks around me. The MTR/Ks do not air down well... they fold, vice mushroom. That's it.... that is my reasoning.

Now... if you told me you are a pavement pounder... I'd have recommended the MTR/Ks. But any dirt time changes my recommendation.

Full disclosure: I just bought a second set of MTR/Ks, it was because I got a good deal, NO OTHER REASON WOULD HAVE TAKEN ME THERE!!

· RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
And one other thing to add.... the kevlar is a marketing gimmick and is likely the reason they don't air down well. I have now torn three sidewalls (each 2+ inches) and have seen two others on the trail do the same thing. So do not take that as a benefit in your decision.

· V8 dreams
3,579 Posts
My 37 MTR/K ride so much smoother on road than my toyo 35 did. E-rated vs D-rated I suppose? But it was a huge difference. I do think the toyo aired down better though and they are some tough SOBs. Think the nitto trail grappler is very similar to the toyo an readily available too

Vandy

· Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There isn't a whole lot of wheeling available here in hawaii, and when we do its mainly dirt and rocks...unless it rains, which then will give us some mud. Mostly it'll be a "pavement pounder", but i have read that the KM2's do not do well in the mud. I think it truly depend on that tire you wind up getting. Not every tire is exactly the same when it comes off the line. I'll be leaving island in July/August and headed back stateside, however I do not know where yet...I don't think i can go wrong with either tire, just want to make sure I get what will work for me.

· Registered
280 Posts
i have ran both mtr's and km2's. i really like both on the trails. i agree with the early rotation of the mtr's. they seem to want to cup sooner. the mtr's were closer to true size than the km2's( .5'' under vs 1'' for the km2)

i am wondering why these are the only two you are looking at? like Goody mentioned the trail grapplers are also a good choice, the toyos as well.

i guess if i had to pick i would say km2, due to the the back order issue( dont know if its a non-issue now) and the rotation issue. (being as the mtr's are directional i believe) the tires have to be dismounted to properly rotate. just my .02

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.