JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at skid plates for my next purchase, but there are so many options. what are you guys and gals running and have you been happy with them? Any recommendations would be helpful... they are all starting to look like the same slab of steel to me. I am basically looking at the rockhard system or the polyperf system with the toned down budget trans skid.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I run a Skid Row engine and transmission skid-plate and Shrockworks front crossmember/ disco motor skidplate. The rest are OEM.

If I had my pick- I would be running a complete Poly Performance or River Raider skid-plate system. JMO- Those are as good as they get.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya know what I didnt think of river raider but now that ya mention it their shit looks stout.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
full set of rock hard skids. though im thinking of giong with someone else that would sponsor me. rock hards loss since the cage would get swapped out as well. LoL
nothing wrong with the skids or cage but looking for sponsors that will assist with hemi build later this summer.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have Skid Row Engine / Transmission Skid Plate & Evaporative Canister Skid Plate and they work great for me! Plus I made Custom Control Arms Skid Plates also! If mine ever break I would go with the River Raider systems!! He did not have them out when I got mine 3 years ago!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Rock hard except the evap which is a combined air/evaporated from rock hard

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I can't believe how low that sits!I have a poison spyder one on my evap, I like it, tucks up there nice.

I need a gas tank skid, all else is working as it should

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Rock Hard full set for me + Skid Row control arm + Shrock e-disco stu.
Before the lift the rock hards took a lot of punishment and held up great.

·
Registered
534 Posts
RR full set here, with an AEV diff slider. They are tough and priced right for me.

I like the poly set, but its $$$$$.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I'm running a skid row engine/trans skid, skid row lca mount skids, and poison spyder evap skid. Would highly recommend all 3 of them. Will be adding a river raider gas tank skid to the mix shortly...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Remember, you can move the evap canister, which is usually cheaper and comes with other benefits as well.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
yeah it can be a bitch to reinstall. lol

BTW found this. you may want to get some skids. you never know when you will come down on a rock.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Edwina on JKF says that you are stupid for wanting skids.

The god of JK says that the factory skids are all you will ever need, until a future vendor gives him a free set of skids; then you will need to buy those ones.

So we should be perfectly content to not buy skids, until Eddie gets a free one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thats good, love Eddie's advice and then I noticed in one of his photos of Moab that he his running Solid diff. covers. Skids are worth it, had my jeep out for only the second time since I bought in in the fall, came down hard on the cross member under the transfer case, needless to say the shape is not the same. I have a full set of River Raider skids that I wish I had on before this last weekend.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Benchmark Evap Skid on both my JK's. Knocked that l'il dangler off my second time wheeling my rig. Didn't damage it, but didn't want to chance it again on either of my rig's.

I'm running the Rockhard skid on my 4dr. Still trying to determine what I want to run on my wife's JK. Not sure if all the companies do the tapered washers like Rockhard does though. A nice touch IMO.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Remember, you can move the evap canister, which is usually cheaper and comes with other benefits as well.
I don't know if I necessarily agree with all of your statement. The relocation kit might be a little bit cheaper compared to some skids, but when weighed that against the time to install it (5-15min skid vs 1-3hrs for relocate) I think the skid comes out ahead. As for other benefits, relocating has the slight advantage of extra clearance where the the cannister once resided.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts