• BLUE TOP

Votes: 11 14.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are more battery options out there but most use OPTIMA.

So for you OPTIMA owners... which one are you running?

YELLOW
RED
BLUE

????

figured this might be a handy thread for the members getting ready to do elec mods. :beer:

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
RED - decent battery if you arent powering a winch or a lot of lights
YELLOW - great all around battery. Currently my only battery and Ive got a lot of bling
BLUE - on order. Im installing a dual battery tray and will use this one to power all my stuff and the YELLOW one for my Jeep only.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Blue for me.

Only difference in the blue and the yellow is that the blue has the extra terminals on top instead of on the side. The warranty is also different for some reason. At least it used to be.

·
Registered
916 Posts
None of the above. Prefer Odyssey AGM, so I'm running a Sears Platinum (4 yr full warranty not prorated).

Dammit E, no bacon option.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've had bad luck with yellow tops in the past, but they upgraded the warranty on yellow tops last year from 12 to 36 months, so that should help.

I bought my current red top before the warranty change as I was not going to buy another yellow top with 12 months warranty.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Been running a Yellow Top for 3 years.. So you know my answer,. And I ran the air compressor part of my Powerplant on it and aired up 8 tires.. Had lunch and talked for 2 to 3 hours and then started up and drove home.. :smokin: :grinpimp:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
My vote is the Duralast gold top battery. I love the high CCA's and the no questions asked free battery exchange for the first 3 years.

Warranty:
8 YR Notes: *** 800 cold cranking Amps (1000 cranking Amps) *** 105 reserve minutes. -> 3 year free replacement <-

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Optimas have gone down hill in the past 2 years. I have had about 4 reds shit the bed on me and 3 yellow tops. When they work they work well

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
None of the Above

Optima is no better as a battery than any other (IMO). As for off road racing applications the theory is sound. But to start my rock crawling, semi daily driver, just about any decent quality battery will do just fine. I'm still running the OEM, next will be interstate or diehard. so None of the Above should have been an option. :beer:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I run the blue top as my Warn M8000 will be going on soon.

As a side note I purchased a red-top 5 years ago....it was in my old YJ for 2 years, my old XJ for 2 years, sold the XJ and a year later it is still going strong.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Optima is no better as a battery than any other (IMO). As for off road racing applications the theory is sound. But to start my rock crawling, semi daily driver, just about any decent quality battery will do just fine. I'm still running the OEM, next will be interstate or diehard. so None of the Above should have been an option. :beer:
The difference is the gel. Gel batteries won't leak when overheated or tipped.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I got a blue in the jk and a red in the xj. The blue is 4 yrs now and the red is 6 or so, no issues.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I have run the red for over 5 years in the yj. I could gofor a month or more without driving it and get a great crank each time, Aldo runs a winch and extra lights no problem

·
Registered
42 Posts
Twin Odyssey's

I'm running twin PC 1500 Odyssey's. Unable to purchase Sears Platinum
in these parts. Just as well. I like the brand name on the case!

·
Registered
510 Posts
BACON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whateva's cheapest. This may be ignorance on my part, but, until car batteries move on from ancient technology, there is no point in getting a "premium" battery, vibration and shock is arguable the greatest concern, and most of us, as hardcore as you think you are, you get the greatest shock and vibration at high speeds, a 3" bump with improper suspension set up is way worse than crawling, obviously this is worst case scenario, but I hope you get the point

Anyway, my philosophy

you have a lot of accesories, AND, you run them often, Deep cycle, portable charger as a last resort, don't go wheeling alone, also, look at solar trickle chargers, they do wonders

not a lot of accesories, you want extra insurance buy two batteries, and have a portable charger, for the price of an optima anything, you can almost afford two clearance or "bargain" batteries

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've still got the factory battery... still running strong. Will probably go with a blue top when it's time.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts