JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for a new welder - I've got it down to three choices.

Millermatic 211 Auto-Set
The no-brainer, tried and true reliable beast that no one can seem to hate. 30% duty cycle @ 150 amps. 210 maps max. Pros: Proven USA-made box, reliable and everyone seems happy with the results. Dumb-simple to use. Easy support. Cons: Transformer design, heavy as fawk, single process.

Tweco Fabricator 211i (formerly Thermal Arc)
Multi process machine that is also a proven performer. 35% duty cycle @ 150 amps. 210 amps max. Pros: Multi-process, reliable, transformer, adjustable inductance and burnback, light, good support. Standard gun and consumable parts. Cons: Ummm....none, really that I can think of.

Now for the rookie....

Razorweld Mig 195 (American branch of Jasic, a reputable Australian company)
Brand new machine using IGBT and SMT inverter technology. Ridiculous 35% duty cycle @ 200 amps. 200 amps max. Pros: Small, super light, and killer duty cycle. Should have good support. Burnback control. Standard gun and consumable parts. Cons: New and unproven. No inductance control. :nono-1: Should have good support doesn't mean it actually will.

All these machines are within $100 of each other. All will do what I need. Which one to go with?

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And done - Tweco 211i Fabricator en route. The Miller is a bit of a dinosaur in comparison (albeit a good dinosaur), and I like the multi-process capability of the 211. I really would have liked a 252i but couldn't justify the additional thousand bucks.

So instead I spent that additional 1k and picked up a Thermaldyne Cutmaster 42 while I was at it. :beer:

·
Registered
271 Posts
It all depends on how and where you are going use it. If all three welders meet your needs then I would pick the Miller ( we use all Millers in our shop). Before you buy, the roll around shop models are also a great choice and will allow you to do a little more. My advise is to pick the one that the weld shop stocks the most sundries, ( tips, guns, gun liners ect)

·
Registered
9,421 Posts
And done - Tweco 211i Fabricator en route. The Miller is a bit of a dinosaur in comparison (albeit a good dinosaur), and I like the multi-process capability of the 211. I really would have liked a 252i but couldn't justify the additional thousand bucks.

So instead I spent that additional 1k and picked up a Thermaldyne Cutmaster 42 while I was at it. :beer:
It's kinda like a Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate but you went to same route I would have. I'm tickled silly for ya.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bumpers, sliders, roof racks, gates, fences, heavy equipment repairs, truck frame repairs. Basically anything I didnt feel like taking my big engine drive, I would cart my millermatic and a generator.

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,377 Posts

Is the Tweco Fabricator 211i made in USA?
I'm interested for my shop.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
For some reason couldn't find the up to date thread on welders, welding etc... So I put this info here for someone who may be searching.

Lincoln just dropped a possible WINNER!!!

Lincoln 210 3 processes, dual voltage.

Mig, Tig, and Stick all in one dual voltage welder. up to 3/8" and all for the asking price of $999.00

Going to be hard not to pass a deal up like this one. Especially for those who want to learn other welding processes besides Mig and want a decent priced home welder.

http://lincolnelectric.com/en-us/equipment/multi-process-welders/Pages/power-mig-210-mp.aspx

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.