JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have talked to a few of the guys on the board recently but I just wanted to say hey to everyone else. This is a great forum!! Cheers! :beer::beer:

So... What are you guys running for OBA? I used to run a York 210 in my TJ and it kicked ass except for the fact that it oiled anything and everything in its path! Yes I ran the coalescing filter and drained the oil back to the York allot. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bagging on the setup at all. It ran air tools awesome and aired up tires fast.

I have been thinking about what I want to install in the JK for a while now. Space is limited under the hood. I could go with a Kilby or ORO York setup again but what about some of the electric options? Extreme Outback, etc. I would like something with some decent CFM performance at 90 psi for running air tools. The thing I like about an electric compressor is that it is pretty low maintainence.

Now... where to put it??? Where have you installed your compressors / air tanks, etc?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
there is a company on here that makes a mount for OBA that mounts them underhood. i think it will fit any kilby unit and most yorks. maybe someone will post a link to it here. i can't seem to find it right now (or remember who made it), but it is in here somewhere.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a company on here that makes a mount for OBA that mounts them underhood. i think it will fit any kilby unit and most yorks. maybe someone will post a link to it here. i can't seem to find it right now (or remember who made it), but it is in here somewhere.
I would like to see that also!

Has anyone checked out the Warn sand alone DC compressors? This one looks pretty cool. In can be hard mounted (removed from the portable chassis) but the only problem is where to mount it! The specs look awesome! 4CFM at 90PSI (12CFM free flow).

http://www.warn.com/truck/aircompressors_spi.shtml

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I run the Warn Powerplant on my JK, York on the TJ. I really like both. The Powerplant is very convenient on the JK. I do not run air tools at this point with it though.

peter
I kinda wish I had this winch but I already owned the 9.5ti from my TJ which I moved to the JK. Do you run an external tank in your JK?

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
I have a 10lb tank and I got probably refilled my tires 4 or 5 times, but I am still running stock tires. I have not had to run air tools too much yet other than running my impact to pull a tire. You can get the bigger 15lb tanks and that will give you more, I just didn't feel the need for a bigger / heavier tank.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I use a 20lb CO2 tank and fill 8-10 sets of 35's before I need to refill. You can make your own CO2 set up for under $150. I pay $1 per lb to fill it up.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No, I just run straight from the compressor.

The only thing I don't like about CO2 is that it always seems to run out in the middle of filling the tires. I prefer to make my own air :D

peter
That's kinda my thought as well. I would always somehow forget to fill the tank before a wheeling trip and be SOL!:bawling:

Damn... I'm jealous! Anyone want to trade a power plant for a 9.5ti + cash? :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
I run a 10lb Powertank and I fill it up about once every 3 weeks but I use it alot and fill a lot of tires amongst other things.

I like it better then my OBA I had on my TJ.

I also pay about 10 bucks to fill it up. SHop around as I have found anything from 10 bucks to 35 bucks.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Riverraider has one on their site. Don't know if you can just purchase pieces though.
http://riverraider.com/Productsonboardair.html

·
Registered
427 Posts
I like the Kilby setup, but for the dollars I decided to go with a 10lb PowerTank. By the time I got to OBA, I had already dumped way too much money into this thing! I've been really happy with the PowerTank and love how fast it airs the tires back up ... about 35 seconds/tire. I had an electric one with a 1.5(?) gallon tank on my ZJ and it took about 2 1/2 minutes/tire for 33's. There was no way I was going to try and do 37's with an electric!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.