JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be ordering a JK soon and I'm trying to figure out if I need to order it with 3:73 gearing. Does anyone have a 3.6 Pentastar with 6 speed manual and 33 in tires and stock 3:21 gearing? Would it be better with the 3:73 gears? I don't plan on rock crawling, this is going to be a DD with occasional mild off roading in deep snow. I want the best gas mileage. I'm thinking with the 3:21 gears and the 33 in tires it will probably reduce the gearing to around 2:73 which should give me better gas mileage on the highway. If you have this setup please give me your opinion.

·
Registered
86 Posts
^^^^^^^This:D

·
Registered
181 Posts
Don't have the Pentastar, but my 07 has the 6 spd Manual Trans, 3.21s and 32in tires. It is basically a 4 speed.

Definately 3.73, if it was me i'd do 4.10s if they are available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I happen to have a 2014 6 speed (2 door) with 3.73s and 32" Sport S tires. I have nothing to compare to, I like it but would prefer lower (4.10+) gearing for crawling, we don't have any rocks around here but still it's too easy to stall and requires a bit of speed to take it easy on the clutch, I can't imagine how difficult the 3.21s would make it. For what it's worth, 60MPH = ~2000RPM, and I'm averaging 16MPG overall, but I do drive it a bit aggressively and climb anything I can find, plus it's winter and snowy here. We took a ~1100 mile trip into the UP and back for new years, I averaged 18MPG total.

·
Registered
354 Posts
You won't regret 3.73

I don't have the setup you ask about, but my experience after a bit more than a year in my first Jeep is that the whole enterprise can change you and how you think you will use your Jeep. I just think the likely hood is that you will wish you had 3.73 if you go 3.21; not that you wish you had 3.21 if you go 3.73.

Definitely 3.73 IMO

·
Registered
101 Posts
3.73 w/o question. 2013 sport - 2.5" RK and 31570R17 Duratracs....I can use 6th on flat highway but have to downshift to 5th if I want any power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts