JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My understanding of the function of a sway bar is to limit excessive body roll in corners by tying the left and right side suspensions together limiting the independent articulation to the flex of the bar itself. So does Lower 40 just not have one at all? The benefits of it's elimination are obvious for off road, and since Lower 40 was built as little more than a thought exercise I can see Mopar just pitching it.

I ask because I'm very interested in replicating the look of the pictured bumper and the sway bar and front body mounts are in the way. Most likely I'll just build brackets into the bar that accommodate these two mounts. But would love a better solution if there is one.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Is there an anti-rock sticking out of the frame, behind the "tow hook"? Or is just that tube that is in the factory frame? Hard to tell.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks to just be the end of the stock cross member tube. Looking at the info on the Anti-rock it also seems as if that location would be too close to the endlink mount itself. It looks like if there was an Anti-rock in place it would need to pivot somewhere nearer to the center of the bumper tube itself (which could be an interesting solution instead of the somewhat silly "tow hooks")

Thanks for the info

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. Nether of the last two posts make any sense to me.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I've spent plenty of time under cars in my life, mostly messing with the suspension on sports cars though. How would a sway bar be advantageous off road? (limiting for the sake of this conversation the definition of "off road" to activities like rock crawling, which this forum and this vehicle seem to be primarily suited to)

Generally I've seen sway bars used as a bandage or compromise on a car set up to have both a comfortable ride and cornering capability. Sway bars allow the car to have both a comfortable ride with soft springs, but also corner reasonably flat avoiding excessive weight transfer and allowing all four tires to maintain contact with the road (which is assumed to be fairly flat) This could also be achieved with a proper and much stiffer all around suspension setup, but the resulting "Noise, Vibration and Harshness" would be unacceptable for an OEM.

However when the "road" is no longer flat when rock crawling you no longer want the left and right sides tied together. You now want all four tires as completely independent as possible so that they can find ground wherever it might be. That's why Rubis have swaybar disconnects.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and thanks for the responses.
Kit

Radiator guard?

·
Registered
530 Posts
wtf is with the front flares being tied into the hood?
Thats how high they had to raise them to make the 40's fit with no lift.

EDIT: Mysta2 beat me to it

·
Registered
631 Posts
How would a sway bar be advantageous off road? (limiting for the sake of this conversation the definition of "off road" to activities like rock crawling, which this forum and this vehicle seem to be primarily suited to)
Research 'Currie AntiRock' and 'offroad sway bar'. The topic and forces involved go much deeper than what you're thinking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.