JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to mount up some KC lights and was wondering where you guys were mounting your relays? Pictures would be great. I have some ideas but wanted to see what everyone else was doing.

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
If you have the money for it, the sPod is great. I just installed mine last night. Before that I had my relays installed behind the battery.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have the money for it, the sPod is great. I just installed mine last night. Before that I had my relays installed behind the battery.
Negative on the that kind of cash flow. I was originally thinking under the cowl by the wiper blades but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

·
Registered
375 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Thats a pretty clean set up, nice work!:)

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Looks nice, but whats with the like 10ga ground wire for the relays? lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
wow, thats alot of wire! s-POD all the way! mine is in the mail right now and I can't wait to rewire my goodies and get rid of all the excess wire. what does Rockrash4X4 charge for that plate? Does it come with the relays or switches?

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
Just looked into a s-pod. that thing is $435.....are you serious! holy cow! I much rather be able to afford my accessories rather than just a really nice switch panel. No mention of a warranty either?

Hmm. I really like the idea, and almost thing I could build one of those pretty cheap..

·
Registered
94 Posts
when you figure all the switches, relays, wire, connectors, fuses and such, then do the work involved to harness all that, the s-POD is not a bad deal at all. Also, John and Cindy over at s-POD have the greatest of customer service. I haven't seen my written warranty yet, and I didn't ask either, but I know that I can call them if I have a problem and they will help. I met them at the JK Summerfest last weekend, and they are the best of stand-up people.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
when you figure all the switches, relays, wire, connectors, fuses and such, then do the work involved to harness all that, the s-POD is not a bad deal at all. Also, John and Cindy over at s-POD have the greatest of customer service. I haven't seen my written warranty yet, and I didn't ask either, but I know that I can call them if I have a problem and they will help. I met them at the JK Summerfest last weekend, and they are the best of stand-up people.
I'm sure it's really nice, it sure looks like it is. But I could honestly get the same thing done for less than $75. It'll take a little time, but picking up a factory relay/fuse box from a junkyard vehicle would be my starting point. I think 1/2 the fun is making you're own stuff.

It wouldn't be as nice as the printed circuit board stuff they are running, which is impressive. But I'd get the same results, and have another $350 to buy all the stuff i need to switch. Just the hot rodder in me lol

·
Registered
94 Posts
That's cool. I did the first round myself (no pics though) as I get to needing the 6 circuit system, I didn't want to redo it myself again. I like the simplicity of the s-POD and the fact that it makes troubleshooting way easier if something fails to come on!

Happy wheelin!!:beer:

·
Registered
375 Posts
the plate was $20 i belive. got all my stuff for about $90.

here is my link to the original write up http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3606
it ran for a year before i traded it in with out any problems. worked well enough that as soon as my garage doesn't feel like the surface of the sun i'll be doing it again on the new jeep.
Where did you get your fuse block?...

I was thinking the same way...I already mounted 6 switches in the same location as you and I think I am fully capable of wiring one up...I do like the SPOD though...They have a very clean set-up and I am sure it is worth every penny if you don't want to bother with it...I like tinkering as much as I can so i don't really mind...:beer:

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
I have to agree with everyone else. sPOD is worth the money for peace of mind, safety and customer service. John is good people and after seeing his product and meeting him in person you cant go wrong. I believe in it so much you'll find his link in my signature.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Where did you get your fuse block?...

I was thinking the same way...I already mounted 6 switches in the same location as you and I think I am fully capable of wiring one up...I do like the SPOD though...They have a very clean set-up and I am sure it is worth every penny if you don't want to bother with it...I like tinkering as much as I can so i don't really mind...:beer:
looks like this

you can pick them up from most part stores for about $7. i got mine from advance. most places i've seen only keep one in stock.

i've done this exact setup twice now and will be doing my new jeep soon. Spod is great, i've never heard anybody say anything bad about them, i just don't have that much disposable income so i did it almost the exact same way just with over-the-counter parts.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts