JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has decided she wants another Wrangler. She says a Jeep isn't a Jeep if it isn't a stick. With the 4 dr. we can have one again, but I am having problems finding one. I cannot believe the ratio of auto to manuals on dealer lots. I have read for days and the 6 sp with 3.73s is what I think we want. I know that the 3.21 is way too high to fight the wind out here. Am I correct in that the 3.73 and manual will pull slightly larger than stock tires and still get decent mpg and power? This will be a DD, but I can't just leave it stock if I ever do find one, right??? Thanks for the great site fellas, I know you will be hearing more from me.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I have a 6spd Rubicon, not too many of them running around. I don't mind how it drives with 35s and 4.10s at all. Average about 17mpg with my commute on that combo.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Manuals are a dieing breed. Last year Ford stopped offering them in their trucks even as an option. With the improvement in 'slush boxes' and the fact that most people can't be bothered with actually driving (talking, texting is hard when you need both hands), most mfg'rs are going more and more to auto trannies. As far as a manual with 3.73 you'd be OK up to about 30-31" tire. My 6 spd Rubi came with 32's and 4.10 gears. I have heard that the autos don't do well with larger tires (OD issues) without a regear but not sure myself. Nevered wheeled an auto but will soon as I am building up a '99 XJ.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have a 6spd Rubicon, not too many of them running around. I don't mind how it drives with 35s and 4.10s at all. Average about 17mpg with my commute on that combo.
x2
I have a 6sp with 4.10s, 35s and get 15-17mpg with the Superchips Flashpaq. I think you'll be hatin' life with 3.73s, but you'll read that some think it's ok. I can't imagine it with the TX wind though.

I'm lookin' to put 5.13s in ASAMA... as soon as money allows. :beer:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to find the gear ratios for the 6 vs the 4spd auto. I was assuming having 6 gears with the same final drive ratio would just be an improvement. I know the engine isn't a v8, but I don't want to pull 35+ inch tires. If the 3.21 will do ok with 30-31's, surely the 3.73's will do 33 (285/17). Hell, I may be full of crap, I don't know. The only way to get the 4.10 is the Rubi if I read Jeeps site correctly, and they're a little steep for me (as cool as they are!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yea every dealer i went to didnt have any 6 speeds. Seems no one wants one any more. I personnaly would never buy a jeep without one. But thats just me.

·
Registered
443 Posts
2008 unlimited 6spd with half doors here (had to toss that out there). I have 3.21s and they are fine on the sra. I don't think I'd go up without a regear to at least 4.10. But staying with the sra and 3.21 is great for mpg. I am around 20.

·
Registered
231 Posts
6 speed here, 35's, 4.88 gears....runs good enough for me. automatic tranny is not an option for me...in the jk anyway.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to go two states over to get mine, but I also wanted 4.10's. I drove 6 spds with 3.21, 3.73, and 4.10 gears. I'm still running stock 32's so I can't comment on the larger tires yet, but I noticed a huge difference between the 3.21 and the 3.73's. From the 3.73's to the 4.10's there was a difference but not near as much as between the first two. Where I really noticed a difference is pickup from a stop and from extra pull on the interstate.

If I had it to do all over again, I travel even further to get the 4.10 gears and 6spd. I love it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yea every dealer i went to didnt have any 6 speeds. Seems no one wants one any more. I personnaly would never buy a jeep without one. But thats just me.

Roger that. I would never buy an automatic Jeep either.

As far as dealer stock, you just have to look around. Dealers order what they want and think they have the best chance of selling. Meaning of course that you will find some dealers who never have an stick on the lot, and others who have 'em by the dozen. :thefinger:

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I love my 6 speed and would have waited to get one if the dealer didn't have any ...IMO, you'll most likely end up re-gearing if you go with less than 4.10.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Crazy! In CO, at least at my local dealer, they always have at least a couple of 6-spd 4-doors on the lot. I have a 6-spd 2-dr, and they had plenty of those on the lot too.

As far as your question, the 4.10s and 6-spd is a great combo with everything, so long as you're not exceeding 35s. I too would never buy an automatic anything if I can help it, but certainly not an automatic Jeep (especially considering the current tranny).

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I waited 7 months up here in BC for my factory order 6 speed Rubi. Quite rare to see them around. IMHO look for one with 4.10's

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
OD ratio with auto is .69:1

OD with manny is .82:1

This is why mannys can pull a taller tire easier. Mine has auto,3.73's and 32's... not too bad in OD as long as road is fairly flat. Can ease into it and increase speed in OD but it's a sssssllllllloooooowwwwww process

·
Registered
199 Posts
There was a limited supply of anything around here when I got mine. I used the jeep website to search inventory of dealers in the nearest large cities (denver and dallas). It was when the sky was falling on the big 3 so I ended up getting a crazy deal on a rubi manual in dallas (frank parra). i love manuals. keep looking and hopefully you will find one.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I am trying to find the gear ratios for the 6 vs the 4spd auto. I was assuming having 6 gears with the same final drive ratio would just be an improvement. I know the engine isn't a v8, but I don't want to pull 35+ inch tires. If the 3.21 will do ok with 30-31's, surely the 3.73's will do 33 (285/17). Hell, I may be full of crap, I don't know. The only way to get the 4.10 is the Rubi if I read Jeeps site correctly, and they're a little steep for me (as cool as they are!)

Automatics are for puzzies and old women! Do a search on autrader.com and some of other big, car websites. You can input exactly what you're looking for, i.e. 6 speed. You might have to travel a little ways, but you can usually find what ya want.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Yeah, i had problems getting exacly what i wanted. But the dealership i bought from was one of the ones that was being closed and they were slinging crazy deals on what they still had on the lot so i settled for an automatic with 3.73 gears.

They also tried to sell me into all of the extra chrome crap that they had already installed on it...but i had to draw the line there. In the end they didn't make jack off of me becasue they had to pay their guys to take off chrome bumpers, 22" wheels, and every chrome mopar accessory known to man. It looked like crap on the showroom floor.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts