JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Research, bro!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My spidey senses tell me that I bent my drag link (Teraflex) on the last outing. Just looks off as I noticed when I was adjusting the steering wheel back to center. Thoughts? - I never actually put a level on it before as a benchmark.

Beyond the "is it bent?" question, are there any certain indicators/rules of thumb on when one should replace an adjustable drag link as opposed to just recentering the wheel again? One reason I see when you should replace is when the adjuster threads have to be let out too much for comfort (mine seem on that border now). Any others?

· Registered
70 Posts
Does not look right to me....mine is not tweaked like that...must of been a damn hard turn to make IMO.

· Registered
844 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but the stock ones AND the teraflex ones all have a little kick in them. I have a brand new Teraflex flipped drag link on my jk and i havent wheeled with it, it had a kick on it out of the box.

I will go home and take a picture to show you two stock ones and the flipped one and they all have that kick.

Or you can just google the pictures, you will see that they all have it

· Registered
4,180 Posts
Correct me if im wrong, but the stock ones AND the teraflex ones all have a little kick in them
Correct, the OP's TF drag link was made that way to ensure it clears the frame on passenger side stuff. No problem.

· Registered
64 Posts
My spidey senses tell me that I bent my drag link (Teraflex) on the last outing. Just looks off as I noticed when I was adjusting the steering wheel back to center. Thoughts? - I never actually put a level on it before as a benchmark.

Beyond the "is it bent?" question, are there any certain indicators/rules of thumb on when one should replace an adjustable drag link as opposed to just recentering the wheel again? One reason I see when you should replace is when the adjuster threads have to be let out too much for comfort (mine seem on that border now). Any others?
I would be more concerned about the factory looking steering stabilizer if it was me. Why you ask? Because they are junk!

· Research, bro!
2,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct, the OP's TF drag link was made that way to ensure it clears the frame on passenger side stuff. No problem.
Easy way to tell would be if there are marks on the DL where its bent. No marks, no hitting = normal.
Some data points:

*I didn't hit the dl on the frame (no marks). I know it happened when I was forcing a turn against a massive log/stump on an obstacle course, trying to get over it. Didn't win that battle. Steering was off right after that section.

*Never hit/touched the tie rod that day.

*I called a friend who has same dl and had him stick level on it like the picture. The TF dl does indeed have a built in bend, but his measurement (bend) was much less from our phone description.

*I had to adjust the collar several turns to lengthen the dl. 4-5ish.

That's what's making me believe it is bent. Bent enough to replace? I don't know - that's why I posted the OP.

I would be more concerned about the factory looking steering stabilizer if it was me. Why you ask? Because they are junk!
It's not OEM. It's Teraflex's previous generation stabilizer. (And it's worked fine on my rig to date).

· Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Some data points:

*I didn't hit the dl on the frame (no marks). I know it happened when I was forcing a turn against a massive log/stump on an obstacle course, trying to get over it. Didn't win that battle. Steering was off right after that section.

*Never hit/touched the tie rod that day.

*I called a friend who has same dl and had him stick level on it like the picture. The TF dl does indeed have a built in bend, but his measurement (bend) was much less from our phone description.

*I had to adjust the collar several turns to lengthen the dl. 4-5ish.

That's what's making me believe it is bent. Bent enough to replace? I don't know - that's why I posted the OP.

It's not OEM. It's Teraflex's previous generation stabilizer. (And it's worked fine on my rig to date).
Straighten the wheel for now and drive it for awhile like that. If you notice no other side effects from the bend like loose or worn tre's, death wobble or other type of poblems then you'll be fine.

· Registered
11,420 Posts
everyone in this thread needs to realize tgat tge Teraflex draglink comes with a bend...smh
It appears you're right. I thought it was a stocker in the picture.

How stupid of Teraflex to do that, it offers no benefit..

· Registered
11,420 Posts
If it was a stocker, it would be bent. Still doesn't explain why the OP had to adjust the steering wheel back to center if its not bent.
Bent tie rod will do that..

· Premium Member
3,218 Posts
OEM steering stabilizers do their job. They do it even better when it is relocated up and a little more out of the way than the stock location, which the OP has done.

the steering stabilizer had nothing to do with the fact that the OP had to adjust his draglink to recenter his steering wheel or that he may have bent his DL.

· Premium Member
5,207 Posts
Unless I'm mistaken, I have read numerous threads about the Teraflex dl being very weak and susceptible to bending under strain. The OP said he compared it to another and that his was bent more than the one used as a comparison.

Normally it's the tierod that gets bent which throws everything out of whack but it's possible that he tweaked the dl as well when he was all jacked up in his tree stump ordeal. Either way, as long as he has been able to straighten his wheel and has no ill side effects then all should be well.

The majority of drag links out there have bends in them in one form or another. Most bend upward to allow clearance of the diff while articulating. Getting a bend that pushes the dl downward is a rare thing and usually indicates that it has hit the frame in some manner while the passenger wheel is being stuffed, or that it has been forced downward by default while under extreme pressure between the wheel/knuckle and the gearbox.

With that said, I would also suggest that the OP check the torque on the pitman nut as well as the sector shaft for play in the lower bearing. The stress it takes to bend even a weak dl could cause some damage to the steering box if it's not braced with some sort of aftermarket bracing system.

· Registered
94 Posts
The Teraflex drag link looks a repackaged Mopar OEM right hand drive drag link that fits on top of the knuckle like the way AEV does it but does have a greasable tre. Although AEV raises the track bar mount at the axle while Terafles lowers the mount on the frame side, which sucks ass :shitstorm:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.