JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am heading down to visit a friend who lives near Tucson.

I have been looking up trails near there, have found listing for Charouleau Gap, Chiva Falls, Gunsite Pass and Gardner Canyon.

Are these all open at this time of year? Only thing I read with seasonal closures was around Mt Lemon.

Where can I pick up a good map?

Anyone else going to be out this weekend who wouldn't mind someone tagging along?

I have a 2015 JKU. small lift and stock 32" Mud Terrains. Still open diffs front and rear.
I do have tow points, rock rails and a winch. And no fear of a scratch or two.

Thanks in Advance,
Karl

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Don't do Charleaux gap by yourself. Not a lot of people run it and I have not heard of anyone running it this weekend. If something happens to you in the middle it is a long walk to get cell phone service and it is going to be cold in there at night this time of year.

Chiva is easy, just pick your lines on a spot called three feathers and don't get crazy. Usually a lot of people are out there on that trail.

Chimney rock trail is really easy but not many people are out on that trail and none that I heard of this weekend. Or you can just go to chimney rock and play around there. I thought that someone I knew was going there on Saturday but I can't find it now.

Gunsite pass is closed due to the new mine going in one day.

If you just want to stay on reddington road and head east it goes for a long long ways.

·
22,098 Posts
Found it: Be at 11271 tanque verde rd. Head out at 9:20.

I would say be there at 0900 Look for a guy with a red buggy on a trailer, his name is Robert Wonsey. Good guy.

This is just going to chimney rock and play around.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found it: Be at 11271 tanque verde rd. Head out at 9:20.

I would say be there at 0900 Look for a guy with a red buggy on a trailer, his name is Robert Wonsey. Good guy.

This is just going to chimney rock and play around.
Just heard Tucson jeeps is doing Chiva falls on Saturday. they are meeting up at 10.

Thanks for the help guys.

Between getting ready Thursday night and driving all day Friday, I didn't see these until Saturday morning.

Then it was "I need to hit the gym today before we go" and then "I have to buy my wife coffee before we go" (I shouldn't really pick on that. Marital bliss is worth some sacrafice)
So I'm sitting here at 10:30, ready to go when my buddy finally gets back..

So even though the help wasn't used, it is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, Went out yesterday and ran part of Charouleau Gap.

Tried kissing rock twice.

The first time I kissed it with my roof.

After the second time and almost going over backwards, at least it felt that way, we went around.

We had some good fun.

We met a guy in UTV coming the other way who warned us there was a group stuck at the third creek crossing, so it would probably be better if we turned around at the creek and went out the way e came in, so that's what we did.

Great first outing for my new Jeep. The lift worked better than I expected.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you went by yourself?
One vehicle, but my friend in it with me, yes.

He has a friend at work that recommended the trail, didn't say anything about not going alone, so Greg's opinion was the internet was overly safe.

We did make it our OK, but yes, having someone else with us would have been better.

·
22,098 Posts
internet over safe. LOL

Its all fun and games til you get stranded out there by yourself.

A couple of years ago we had a party at our house, just jeepers. Well one of the guys got a phone call at midnight wanting to know how to get out of the gap. They went out there by themselves and got lost.

Very hard to explain to someone who has no clue to where they are at how to get out of somewhere when you are three sheets to the wind looking at a map on the internet at the time.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There were no beers in my rig.

Maybe just a little too much entuseazum, (how do you spell that?) being new to me and all.

I am old enough to know better.
Doesn't mean I always do better I guess.

·
22,098 Posts
There were no beers in my rig.

Maybe just a little too much entuseazum, (how do you spell that?) being new to me and all.

I am old enough to know better.
Doesn't mean I always do better I guess.
either I typed that wrong or you interpreted it wrong. I was the one at home hammered, the guy on the trail was sober as far as I knew.

Do you at least have tools to fix stuff and food and water to survive for awhile until someone finds you?

Did you tell anyone where you were going and when you would be back?

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We went on another trail Sunday outside of Mammoth.
we saw a group on UTVs, first time at 10:30. They were stopped by the side of the trail. They each had a beer in their hand.
We saw them twice more, each time with beers.

Hold my beer and watch this isn't just a joke, it happens.

Greg's wife knew where we were. Plus I signed in the log at the trail head. Is this a new thing or an Arizona thing because I don't recall doing that 15 years ago wheeling in Colorado.

I did have basic tools, but no spares. So not sure what I could have done beside put the spare tire on.

·
22,098 Posts
We went on another trail Sunday outside of Mammoth.
we saw a group on UTVs, first time at 10:30. They were stopped by the side of the trail. They each had a beer in their hand.
We saw them twice more, each time with beers.

Hold my beer and watch this isn't just a joke, it happens.

Greg's wife knew where we were. Plus I signed in the log at the trail head. Is this a new thing or an Arizona thing because I don't recall doing that 15 years ago wheeling in Colorado.

I did have basic tools, but no spares. So not sure what I could have done beside put the spare tire on.
Oh believe me there are tons of assholes out there who are always drinking on a run. Its all fun and games until the alcohol over rides their ability to judge obstacles or cliffs.

The logs are only on two trails that I have seen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts