JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I intend to go wheeling soon for only the second time. I typically leave the doors off all summer. Should I put the doors on to go 4 wheeling? Is it less safe or will I be covered in mud? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is actually safer to wheel with the doors off. You can get a real good look at where you tire is going when there isn't a door blocking your view.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I intend to go wheeling soon for only the second time. I typically leave the doors off all summer. Should I put the doors on to go 4 wheeling? Is it less safe or will I be covered in mud? Thanks for your input!
Well yeah, if you go splashing thru mud at 20MPH, without doors, you're going to get covered. However, if you go trail riding and there's branches and stuff sticking out, you're not going to scratch your doors to hell ("trail pinstriping").

I'm like you -- mine are off until the end of September. Never gave it a second thought wheeling, other than not splashing thru mud to where I'm eating it in the drivers seat. :)

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I saw a guy today on the MA Bell trip nearly get impaled on a rock as he rolled his TJ- so it's not always safer to roll without doors. However, if he'd had doors on, the driver side would be destroyed, and he MAY have been hurt worse. That's an iffy call.
However, I never wheel with doors on unless it's raining hard (a little rain I can deal with!) or below 60 degrees out (maybe from 50-60 :)). I like being able to better see my lines.
After watching Greg nearly get tapped by that rock, however, I've gotta give a sterner word of warning to those who don't know- just pay attention to what you're doing. Also, watch for other stuff (sticks/branches, bugs, etc.) coming in. And for deep mud, you may want to keep the doors on. For rocks, keep 'em off- Mark W.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
In extreme rocks, I go doorless. the rest of the stuff, I use the Bestop cloth half doors. My wide axles and big-ass swampers fling mud and rocks at me and these doors block it, but they are half door design so you keep most of the visibility.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Last time I went wheeling it was doorless and my son nearly got impaled by a huge branch that came in on the passenger side while I was paying attention to an obstacle on my side. Fortunately, he was able to push it away and only suffered some scratches and bruises.

Afterwards, when talking about what happened, several others said they'd had similar scares in the past. So I guess the answer is that with doors is probably safer than without. Still, I'll wheel doorless and both I and my passenger will pay more attention to jumping tree limbs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses! I'll give it a go with no doors. Have a great weekend!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just don't drive fast through the mud, and you won't splash it up in the inside.
Definitely doorless though, you also get more clearance.
Make sure you disconnect your sway-bar when you get offroad. Way more suppension travel.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Its safe to wheel with your doors off, as long as your old lady keeps her top on
Hey! Don't ruin it for the rest of us! Just cause you've got a hottie to look at damn it! :thefinger:

Well yeah, if you go splashing thru mud at 20MPH, without doors, you're going to get covered.
Wait... I'm confused... You're NOT supposed to go through mud at 20MPH? I knew I was doing SOMETHING wrong! No wonder the inside of my Jeep looks like shit! :grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
It's not always possible to go slow through mud- mud as an obstacle REQUIRES at least SOME momentum, otherwise, you get stuck. So sometimes, in deeper mud, you HAVE TO hit it. So the plan of going slow doesn't always work. And there are some trails where you simply have to go through deep mud.

Also, if you're concerned with mud, disconnecting the sway bar isn't a great idea. You want linear rather than dynamic suspension changes in mud to reduce drag. Then, you don't need as much momentum :) The only time where disconnecting is helpful is really in rocks and on other obstacles requiring climbing- Mark W.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts