JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the perfect day for a run to the mountains. Tom with his wife and baby driving a 4Runner, 3” lift and 33’s, Karl in a Cherokee with a 3” lift and 32’s, myself in an 07 Rubicon Unlimited, no performance mods as of yet. We also had some riders with us in the form of Tim with his wife and Jay.
We met bright and early in Woodland Park and ate breakfast at The Donut Mill (great food, you would not believe how big they make the cinaminonminmominim (you know what I mean) buns!) After a few hundred thousand calories, we took off West on 24. As we passed over the mountains and descended down the other side, we were treated to the sight of about 12 hot air balloons floating over the valley. Boy was this day going good so far.
We finally got to the trail head for Wheeler Lake and started our journey. Along the way we met several hardier souls that were hoofing it and a troop of 5 Land Rovers. Out of our group, only two Jay and Tom had been here before, so the rest of us did not have much of an idea of what to expect. I had read that the trail was graded at a 6. I had done a 7 in the Rubi with little problem so I figured I could handle this. After today, I think the rating for Wheeler Lake needs to be updated to a 7. Both Jay and Tom both said that the trail had gotten a lot rougher since their last outing.
Once we got to the trail, Tom made short work of the obstacles, choosing to take some of the tougher lines. Karl, though not as equipped as others, still attacked this trail with gusto. In the end his tail gate would not latch. I am sure it is nothing permanent, but I feel for the guy none-the-less. He really had to work on some of the spots and made it all the way to the top with only one assist, when he got high centered. Way to go Karl.
I am somewhat of a nube to rock crawling, and as my Jeep is still new, I was a little more ginger with my approaches. I still took some challenging lines, but for the most part I chose to use the Jeep’s innate ability to crawl like a millipede instead of hard charging the obstacles. Sure I was slow, but I got it done.
So, great trail, great friends, great time.
I am still new to this posting process and will try and get some picks on here. I was driving instead of picture taking, so I do not have much.

·
Registered
475 Posts
its amazing what these things will do stock. beautiful pics btw.

·
Broker by the Minute
3,825 Posts
Very nice pics!

I wheeled around Buena Vista and was astounded by the scenery.

Good story too! Slow and in control is the way to go. Although I've been known to push the silly pedal once in a while it usually works better and without damage and breakage if you can maneuver up and over at a snails pace. :bounce:

:beer:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Very nice picture's of some beautiful county. Like the one of you climbing that WALL, Rubi does it all.(Good looking JK).......:beer::beer::beer:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Beautiful pics! Looks like fun. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts