JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im getting the ABS ESP and BAS lights on the dash. they will come on for a day or 2 then go back off. steering wheel is centered and i have same pressure in the tires. i also have some slight moisture around the axle seal. checked diff fluid level and its barely a hair low. topped it off and it has been the same sense.

playing in the mud the other day the lights were on and my back driverside brakes kept locking down. almost caused me to get stuck a few times.

so do you think the sensor got dirty from the diff fluid? or is it fried and i just need to pay the $15 to get a new one?

TIA

·
Registered
10,290 Posts
i've had that happen after playing in the mud. usually it went off by itself.

Nick had this problem and it was the connection from the sensor to the harness.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this was going on before i was in the mud. also checked the connection and it seemed like it was tight.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Mine did that when the front hub bearings went bad. Metal shavings from disintegrating bearings confused the sensors.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I damaged one about a month ago while at Rausch Creek. When the wiring pulled off, it bent the pins. It was about $18 for the part.

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
Mine did that when the front hub bearings went bad. Metal shavings from disintegrating bearings confused the sensors.
this ^^^

jack up tire and see if you can move the wheel in and out

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys ill try that in the morning. gonna be pissed if thats it since i just did a gear swap and they put a new bearing and seal in.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Been thinking about changing my unit bearings,never did it before do you have to drain the diffs befor pulling the bearing out.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
Also when a unit bearing (hub bearing) is starting to go, the heat from the friction can melt the plastic sensor.

Another possibility- on one of mine, the allen head bolt that held the sensor in walked out and let the sensor move enough to read sporadically.

And they wouldn't have replaced your hub bearings when regearing. The hub bearings are on the ends of the axle. Your lug bolts are actually part of the hub/unit bearing.
There are videos on here somewhere of my wheel flopping with a bad bearing and I still never felt anything odd while driving.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
No you don't have to pull axles or drain fluid. Takes about 20 min.
Pull wheel
Pull 2 bolts that hold caliper bracket and hang the caliper
Remove rotor
Remove large axle nut
3 bolts in the back side if the unit bearing and the wss plug and it's off - slides over axle stub shaft

Hardest part is the damn plug on the wss wire is behind the shock tower and SUCKS to get to

I'm going from memory but I'm pretty sure that's everything.

Good time to lengthen your wss wires when you are replacing it and have it in your hand and easy to work on

Edit: here's a vid of what your wheel should NOT do :(

YouTube - Failed unit bearing

·
Registered
176 Posts

·
Registered
7,281 Posts
No you don't have to pull axles or drain fluid. Takes about 20 min.
Pull wheel
Pull 2 bolts that hold caliper bracket and hang the caliper
Remove rotor
Remove large axle nut
3 bolts in the back side if the unit bearing and the wss plug and it's off - slides over axle stub shaft

Hardest part is the damn plug on the wss wire is behind the shock tower and SUCKS to get to
you can remove the clip from the shock tower to give you a little more slack to unplug it, its a christmas tree type base that you can pop off, look at the outside of the tower you'll see the black trees holding it on.

I'm going from memory but I'm pretty sure that's everything.

Good time to lengthen your wss wires when you are replacing it and have it in your hand and easy to work on

Edit: here's a vid of what your wheel should NOT do :(
you can use a screw driver to hold the rotor still so you can get the axle nut off or loosen the axle nut while wheel is on and on the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts