JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone that is running Hardcore D60's please let me know what wheel offset you are running and how far they stick out. Thank you!

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
The dynatrac 60's? And what wheel offset?
These are the Dana Spicer Ultimate Dana 60s...sorry I forgot Dynatrac gave their axles a name beyond Pro Rock.

The WMS to WMS measurement on these is 69". If you are running 37s - 40s and planning on wheeling hard go with 3.5" back spacing. 4" at the lowest, but I'd stick to 3.5.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are the Dana Spicer Ultimate Dana 60s...sorry I forgot Dynatrac gave their axles a name beyond Pro Rock.

The WMS to WMS measurement on these is 69". If you are running 37s - 40s and planning on wheeling hard go with 3.5" back spacing. 4" at the lowest, but I'd stick to 3.5.
Do you know what offset those rims are because you can have a 3.5 backspacing on a 0mm offset rim and a -12 mm offset rim and they will stick out differently. Backspacing is only the clearance from the mounting surface.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Pro rock 60's are 68.5 WMS. How much a wheel will stick out will depend on the width of the wheel you run. You can typically figure you are going to be around 85" out side to outside of the tires with pro rocks and 40's

On a 9" wide rim you should be looking at no more then 3.5" of bs in order to have clearance for full turn.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pro rock 60's are 68.5 WMS. How much a wheel will stick out will depend on the width of the wheel you run. You can typically figure you are going to be around 85" out side to outside of the tires with pro rocks and 40's

On a 9" wide rim you should be looking at no more then 3.5" of bs in order to have clearance for full turn.
Why doesn't anyone talk about offset when talking about rims and how far they stick out?

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
Backspacing and offset are the exact same thing, stated in different terms.

A 9" wide wheel with an offset of -12MM (.5") is the same as a 9" wide wheel with 4.5" back spacing.

If you're buying 24x16s you generally talk about offset. If you're building a Jeep you generally talk about back spacing. It is two different worlds with the same end result. We just talk about things differently.

Are you going to run 60s with 24s or 17s?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Backspacing and offset are the exact same thing, stated in different terms.

A 9" wide wheel with an offset of -12MM (.5") is the same as a 9" wide wheel with 4.5" back spacing.

If you're buying 24x16s you generally talk about offset. If you're building a Jeep you generally talk about back spacing. It is two different worlds with the same end result. We just talk about things differently.

Are you going to run 60s with 24s or 17s?
Well I know what I have no with no problems. Don't know what the backspacing is without measuring but 35's from stock height then up to 4.5 of lift with no issues ever. Now that I am putting some serious money in the jeep with the dynatrac 60's. I want to make sure I get a wheel that functions and looks good as well. I plan on getting 40's on 17's. I don't have the luxury of taking the jeep to the tire shop because I am stationed in Guam. Getting my stuff from the states so I want to make sure I get the right gear.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok so I am learning!!! Offset and backspacing are the same thing just equal to the standard and metric system. So most rim websites I look at have offset and not backspacing. So 3.5 inches of backspacing would be -38 offset or more. I am having a hard time finding rims with that much of an offset. Am I on the right track? Also wondering if beadlocks would be worth the investment if I plan to drive on the street every now and then?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Offset and backspacing are not the same thing. Offset will differ from back spacing depending on the width of the wheel. Offset is how far the mounting surface is from the centerline of the wheel where Backspace is the distance from the inside edge of a wheel to the mounting face. A wheel’s backspace is equal to ½ the wheel’s width + offset + ½”.
So two different width wheels can have the same offset but the back spacing will be different.
Your building a rig that has 40's and tons that is mainly for trails and you were not going to put bead locks on it? Is this a show build or do you just like trowing away money?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Offset and backspacing are not the same thing. Offset will differ from back spacing depending on the width of the wheel. Offset is how far the mounting surface is from the centerline of the wheel where Backspace is the distance from the inside edge of a wheel to the mounting face. A wheel’s backspace is equal to ½ the wheel’s width + offset + ½”.
So two different width wheels can have the same offset but the back spacing will be different.
Your building a rig that has 40's and tons that is mainly for trails and you were not going to put bead locks on it? Is this a show build or do you just like trowing away money?
The one thing I don't like about forums is when people make negative comments!! If I wanted to throw money away I wouldn't be on this forum asking questions from people like yourself that have a wealth of knowledge that should want to help their fellow jeep members. I have read that beadlocks are hard to balance and I am setting my rig up for trail only but want to drive it on the street every now and then. I have been offroad a lot since 2012 when I bought the jeep with 35's and run aired down to 8 psi and have only once popped a bead. So again I ask questions!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
The one thing I don't like about forums is when people make negative comments!! If I wanted to throw money away I wouldn't be on this forum asking questions from people like yourself that have a wealth of knowledge that should want to help their fellow jeep members. I have read that beadlocks are hard to balance and I am setting my rig up for trail only but want to drive it on the street every now and then. I have been offroad a lot since 2012 when I bought the jeep with 35's and run aired down to 8 psi and have only once popped a bead. So again I ask questions!!!
I didn't read that as a negative comment.

Beadlocks will make it easier to mount the tires yourself. I have gotten kickback from local shops trying to mount 35s on my truck. Beadlocks allow you to do it yourself.

Also, most don't balance 40s.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
Offset and backspacing are not the same thing. Offset will differ from back spacing depending on the width of the wheel. Offset is how far the mounting surface is from the centerline of the wheel where Backspace is the distance from the inside edge of a wheel to the mounting face. A wheel?s backspace is equal to ½ the wheel?s width + offset + ½?.
Quality beadlocks will balance as good as any wheel.

I have had two different sets of Racelines and both have balanced just fine.

DIY weld on beadlocks, probably not but those who use those are trail only.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Keep the JK on 35's and build a buggy for the hard core stuff, the JK is just a poor platform for it unless you plan on destroying it.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
Keep the JK on 35's and build a buggy for the hard core stuff, the JK is just a poor platform for it unless you plan on destroying it.
this I am discovering to be extremely true. You have to have an abandonment of the sensible inclinations normally centered-around something as costly as a JK/JKU. You stop caring at all about appearence or driving quality or tire balance and by this time you are cutting B pillars off and comp cutting and adding real cages , full size axles, etc. ..it is a buggy, pretty much.
I will add that it seems a lot of us do not GET to the point of wanting to build something up as much as is being refered-to unless we acquire the very JK/JKU in question since it ultimately is what triggers the interest in harderr-core ( ?) build to tackle greater and greater trails/obstacles,rocks,walls,et al.
It is sorta a catch 22 and by the time you are in all the way, the Jeep is not really a Jeep civi-transport ,truckster-wagon any more.
Mine is getting beat to heck I just realized but there is no option to turn back - My loving, underrstanding wife definately said she'd leave me if I bought a rock buggy instead of a new truck for her so I think that means bying something like that is prolly not an option - and this is coming from who's JKU is far,far from what is considered hard core or extreme or heavily modded by today's staneards.
Good point, thedirtman...your wisdom on these matters is consistently accurate & appreciated.:jeep2:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't read that as a negative comment.

Beadlocks will make it easier to mount the tires yourself. I have gotten kickback from local shops trying to mount 35s on my truck. Beadlocks allow you to do it yourself.

Also, most don't balance 40s.
Well no one likes throwing money away so why say that? I don't want to be one of those guys who spends the money but doesn't have their rig set up right or the right gear so I ask questions on here to learn from people with the expertise and knowledge. Plus I am military with 4 kids so I definitely can't throw money away. I just didn't know if bead locks would be worth all the extra money since I have never had any issues with my 35's. I know 40's are a totally different animal and again that is why I ask.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts