JKOwners Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Is there video anywhere of wheel hop? What is it? I don't think I've ever experienced it...
Basically, when the tires start to spin they grab and release rapidly, while the suspension flexes/releases tension at the same time, causing the tires to "hop" rapidly. This can cause a huge amount of stress to the suspension and driveline, not to mention being uncomfortable and reducing control.

Here is a really bad case of wheel hop.

Here is a less catastrophic, more typical case of wheel hop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wheel hop is caused because the resistance in the suspension isn’t enough to hold the tires down when they are over spinning, I used to have this problem, everything on my jeep was in good condition, I had a 2.5” lift kit and control arm relocators, fox 2.0 reservoir, 33” tires, what I did first was getting stiffer springs, solved a little of the problem but still had it sometimes, then I removed the control arm relocators and never had the problem again, so now I know that wheel hop is caused when control arms have their geometry parallel to the chassis, the spring has to take all that force, if the control arm is pointing down it receives some of the force and you don’t get wheel hop

·
Registered
2009 rubicon 2dr
27 Posts
As others have noted, wheel hop and 4+4 have been around long before computers. I had it in my 76 CJ. I think it is probably an aggressive tire thins seems like the less aggressive tires on the same vehicle will just spin out, where as more aggressive tires want to dig the snow out, thus wheel hop. Every winter I get this on a regular basis with any 4+4 with aggressive tires.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts