JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take my stock 2013 Wrangler up steep snow covered hills it seems like the wheels are hopping and the whole jeep shakes violently. It does this with the traction control off and also in 4 low. Is this normal with jeeps??

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it's the nanny-state computer control in conjunction with the infernal EBCS.
You see, the govt doesn't expect, nor want, soccer mom type drivers (the largest market segment) to drive off-road, let alone in the snow, so they design systems for those non-drivers to feel safe, at the expense of real driver enjoyment.
I get the hop, too. It's absolutely, imo, induced by these needless systems of control.

I feel like it's an unspoken conspiracy. Not even the tuners that say they can address it will respond to my inquiries about deleting the ECBS(everything that is wrong with computer programmed brake activation on the JKs). I'm not talking about plug-ins, I'm talkin' about re-flash or piggy-back tuners. What's their problem? My money not good enough?
I can't rant enough about it.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I'm of the opinion that it's the nanny-state computer control in conjunction with the infernal EBCS.
You see, the govt doesn't expect, nor want, soccer moms to drive off-road, let alone in the snow, so they design systems for non-drivers to feel safe, at the expense of real driver enjoyment.
I get the hop, too. It's absolutely, imo, induced by these needless systems of control.
Wheel hop has been around since long before vehicles had onboard computers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You see, the govt doesn't expect, nor want, soccer mom type drivers (the largest market segment) to drive off-road, let alone in the snow, so they design systems for those non-drivers to feel safe, at the expense of real driver enjoyment.

I feel like it's an unspoken conspiracy. Not even the tuners that say they can address it will respond to my inquiries about deleting the ECBS(everything that is wrong with computer programmed brake activation on the JKs). I'm not talking about plug-ins, I'm talkin' about re-flash or piggy-back tuners. What's their problem? My money not good enough?
I can't rant enough about it.
My thoughts exactly, never had this kind of trouble with my old 1984 toyota truck. I could push it as far as I wanted with just a gas pedal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe Apples to Oranges here, and completely off the mark but the only times I experience wheel hop is too much traction then not enough in short time frame i.e, climbing steep slick rocks. Laying off the skinny pedal and having the appropriate tire pressure substantially reduces or eliminates this for me.

Again, might not have any bearing on your circumstance but maybe worth trying.

Good Luck :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe Apples to Oranges here, and completely off the mark but the only times I experience wheel hop is too much traction then not enough in short time frame i.e, climbing steep slick rocks. Laying off the skinny pedal and having the appropriate tire pressure substantially reduces or eliminates this for me.

Again, might not have any bearing on your circumstance but maybe worth trying.

Good Luck :)
Could be similar situation, only does this when I find the steepest of hills to climb and in at least 12in of snow where my wheels are forced to loose some traction and start spinning. I never have been the kind to try and crawl slowly up hills, never worked very well.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
And god forbid you should need the brakes when they're being controlled by the EBCS. You'll be locked out. You'll know cuz the brake pedal will be rock-hard and does nothing, and it takes precious time for that system to disengage, returning control to your foot.
Hello, uncontrolled downhill, backwards careening. :rolleyes:
(Same thing happens to my buddy's Power Wagon).
Sure, you can put your foot on the go pedal, but that keeps the ECBS engaged. WTF?!?

God damn it! Someone take my money and flash that shit out of my JK!
I don't care how much it costs, it's cheaper than the risk of catastrophic damage, or death.
You tuners that say you can do it should put my money where your mouth is...:mad:

The ECBS is the only thing functionally wrong with the JK and, apparently, any other Chrysler product built to function(ha) off road.

Sorry. Got a little carried away. ;)

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
People have disabled the whole works with a simple switch. You can turn it completely off at will.

Search for ABS/ESP bypass switch.
You sure about that? Nothing I've read about that switch set-up, nor what I've read from the manual, says turning those things off will disable BLD(Brake Limited Differential). The BLD is the bigger problem.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
You sure about that? Nothing I've read about that switch set-up, nor what I've read from the manual, says turning those things off will disable BLD(Brake Limited Differential). The BLD is the bigger problem.
Did you search for ABS/ESP bypass switch, as suggested?
The bypass switch cuts all computer control of the brakes, making them old school power brakes, according to those who have done the modification.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Wheel hop has been around since a long time before computers were on vehicles.
But leafspring wheel hop wasn't aggravated by computer interference.
Did you search for ABS/ESP bypass switch, as suggested?
The bypass switch cuts all computer control of the brakes, making them old school power brakes, according to those who have done the modification.
I've read it a couple times in a few different places. I don't recall anything being said about BLD. I'll have to revisit those posts...or just do the mod and test the results myself.
BTW, I recently had a hillclimb experience...lost traction with the front wheels, I have a Trac-Lok rear and I was in 4Lo. The BLD didn't do shit for the front axle, as reported by spotters. One wheel spun, the other did shit. The rears were starting to smoke.
I lost forward progress and the BLD was trying to figure out what to do with wheel spin. I got locked out of the brakes. I was a jeep-length down the hill before I regained control.
That whole EBCS is plain_fucking_dangerous.

I let FCA know about it, and other things, every time they so cheerfully ask me how I like my Jeep. I'm respectful, but direct. They ask if I'd like an engineer/tech to follow up. I always say yes.
Crickets.
:flipoff:

·
Jeepineer
1,495 Posts
No, it won't. People are thinking it's the computers causing it. Wheel hop has been around since a long time before computers were on vehicles.
Agreed, it has nothing to do with computers.

Front wheel/tire hop on JK's has everything to do with the front end link geometry. You can also get it as rear wheel hop in reverse.

The best thing I did to help wheel hop, especially in snow, is lower my lift (4.5" down to 2.5" actual). For a stock jeep, there's not much you can do. AEV correction brackets (or similar) are about the only way to correct geometry on stock arms but might be inappropriate for stock height.

·
Premium Member
2,114 Posts
When I take my stock 2013 Wrangler up steep snow covered hills it seems like the wheels are hopping and the whole jeep shakes violently. It does this with the traction control off and also in 4 low. Is this normal with jeeps??
Is there video anywhere of wheel hop? What is it? I don't think I've ever experienced it...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts