JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my rear axle is taken apart on my 07 Rubicon. has anyone noticed a loose race ring on their Rubicon D44? (i think that is what it is called - it is the ring about an inch wide that slides in the axle tube).

my race rings (on both sides) in the rear have some play in them. they don't seat solidly and spin.

is this normal, or is it a problem? i thought that they had to completely seat solidly in place and not spin, or have any lateral play at all. it fits snugly enough to have to be tapped into place.

what could cause this, or do i not need to worry about it? it this just normal manufacturing tolerances?

does what i'm trying to explain even make sense?

maybe the part i'm talking about is called the "outer race" of the wheel bearing. it slides in the end of the axle housing when the axle is disassembled.

is there anything i can do about this, other than take it to a dealer and try to get the axle replaced under warranty? if i have to take it to a dealer, i'm worried they will ask me how i noticed this problem, then deny the warranty fix for having taken it apart.

any input or advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

mike

·
Registered
774 Posts
The race is not supposed to move. The bearing rotates inside the race. I would take it in immediately.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is it possible that the race gets locked into place once the axle is reassembled and the retaining bolts tightened back down, or will it remain slightly loose, like it is just sitting in there?

·
Registered
774 Posts
No. The race is usually pressed or hammered in place. there should be no movement.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
No. The race is usually pressed or hammered in place. there should be no movement.
Not always, I've seen inner races that are "loose" but then held tight by the outer race when you bolt the retainer plate down. The inner race would have a shoulder on it if this is the case. Can't say if this is the case with the JK D44 as I haven't taken the shafts out yet myself. But I know there are people here that have, that should be able to answer this???

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, i'm taking it into the dealer. after talking to a service guy and having him come take a look at it, he talked to the regional rep and it seems that there have been several of these problems.
it looks like they may let me just take the axle housing in to them and possibly still get it taken care of under warranty, without putting everything back together.
i tried to get a new race, but it the new part wouldn't go into the housing at all. it was way too tight.
it seems that there is probably some type of flaw in the machining of my axle ends. there were signs that the race had already been spinning and that the axle housing ends had probably already heating up. one side of the end of the axle is "warped" a bit as well - kind of a slight oval shape to it, that was apparent when i tried to fit the new race.
i'm crossing my fingers hoping that it will be covered under warranty, even with it having been disassembled. as of now, it looks like it might.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts