JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assuming I have enough insurance money from the wreck (yes, I've written posts in three different places regarding the wreck and the modifications I'm making thanks to the insurance check... sorry), I am thinking of doing at least a budget boost and 35" tires with new wheels. Plan to stick with the 17" OEM size.

Any recommendations?

Mickey Thompson or Nitto?

Better wheel brands? The shop I am using recommends the following brands: American Force, ATX, Fuel, KMC, Moto Metal, Worx. I much prefer a black finish to any metal finishes.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Where do you typically offroad? Terrain and frequency.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where do you typically offroad? Terrain and frequency.
I don't... yet. I know people in stock Jeeps do it, but I don't see a point and going off-roading in a stock Jeep that will just end up getting stuck and embarrassing me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I prefer BFG tires, but Nitto and Mickey are great tires, I just don't have experience with them. For wheels, I like ATX or Method. Fuels are real nice too. I've previously always bought American Racing (ATX is an off shoot). Pick a wheel you like, most are made in China now anyway, and just make sure you get the right backspacing based on your current or future tire choice. Your shop should be able to help you with that. 17" tires are generally cheaper than larger rim sizes so that's a good choice. And, you can wheel any jeep, stock or not, just don't bite off more than you can chew... (they're all trail rated :grin2:)

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I don't... yet. I know people in stock Jeeps do it, but I don't see a point and going off-roading in a stock Jeep that will just end up getting stuck and embarrassing me.
You would be suprised at where I have seen stock jk non-rubicons with street tires go. (And TJ's). Usually, it's my driving that embarasses me, not my jeep.
Not all wheeling is hardcore, find a local newbie run. Just being out is what makes it fun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts