JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what your thoughts are about this. Say you wanna buy some thing from a member on the forums. You get paid in a few days and have made the agreement with the seller to send payment on payday. He agrees and marks pending on his listing. Well, mean while some smuck is trying to tell the guy he has cash now(after deal was made) and will buy it now. Never mind about the seller, but what's your thought on the guy trying to buy it from underneath you. Doesn't that seem a little on the dick head side?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Money talks. Be happy the seller is willing to give you time in the first place. If I have cash in hand and I see something I want, I'll be damned if I'm not going to make an attempt to buy it, unless I know a close personal friend already has a deal on it. Is that the case here, or is it Joe Random Guy that you don't know?

Bottom line, this isn't an issue or dirty laundry unless the seller ends up reneging on y'alls deal.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm hoping he'll be pretty co. Seems like a good guy. The other guy(sniper) I don't know him. And really? Idk, maybe I've just been a selling stuff for too long. If I make a deal with some one, I keep it. Yeah, it's burned me a couple times and I've lost out on more money too. Seeing from my pov, money's tight and if I have to do a payment plan for some one(or my self) it's helps. 99% of the time they come through and are very graceious that you helped them. But that's just how I was raised to do business, honest and respectful. I know it sounds dumb but treat others how you want to be treated.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The seller should not make those kind of deals unless he plans to stick with him. The "other guy" has every right to at least attempt a purchase. It's on the seller to decide which kind of person he wants to be.

Personally, Its frustrating to hold parts for someone and then have them back out in the end, all the while losing a sale to guy screaming "Take my money". I always post my sales as first come first served. Show me cash and it's yours.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
these are forum deals. money talks. while the guy is being nice to agree to wait a few days, if i were him and someone else offered me cash today, i would take that in a heartbeat. have you ever sold anything online? how often have you had someone change their mind a few days later. its just part of how sales work. in this case, it sucks for you, but im sure more sellers have been screwed by buyers than the other way around.

also, to totally be that guy, what is it that youre buying? if you dont have the cash until pay day, maybe youre better off not spending that cash and sticking it in a bank account for the next time around.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
Yes money talks but there is something that has gone by the wayside in this country. If I post something for sale and member X says they will take it then no matter who offers more after that too bad for them. Unless member X backs out within a day or two then it goes to next in line if they still want it.

But to not sell to you just because they get offered more for the item is bullshit. Bring back the days when a mans word was gold. But I guess too many now a days have no spine or morals and can be swayed by the dollar.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Yes money talks but there is something that has gone by the wayside in this country. If I post something for sale and member X says they will take it then no matter who offers more after that too bad for them. Unless member X backs out within a day or two then it goes to next in line if they still want it.

But to not sell to you just because they get offered more for the item is bullshit. Bring back the days when a mans word was gold. But I guess too many now a days have no spine or morals and can be swayed by the dollar.
I agree 100%. If a person makes a deal, they should honor it. It's that simple.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I usually put "first one with money, wins" on my for sale stuff.

I've been burned a few times waiting for people to pay and told other people that it was essentially "sold"...meanwhile the guy I was waiting for backed out and I turned other interested buyers away. I'll usually take a non-refundable deposit on something if it's valuable enough, if someone threw $50 at me to hold a $300 part until payday..that's cool with me. But I'm pretty much over waiting for anyone I don't personally know.

·
Registered
108 Posts
First person to pay gets it. I don't know how many times (especially on this forum!) that I've had people say " I definitely want them, definitely will take them" and never hear from them again or they come up with an excuse why they are not paying.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
108 Posts

This goes both ways and applies to the buyers. Unfortunately flaky buyers who don't stick with their word are the reason sellers go with who ever pays first.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
This goes both ways and applies to the buyers. Unfortunately flaky buyers who don't stick with their word are the reason sellers go with who ever pays first.

Another reason why I look at who the seller is and I hope they look at the buyer. I was going to buy an item from someone this past weekend who I know has been on here a long time now. In the end I wasn't the 1st to say I would buy it. When I see 50,000 jeep for sale from an individual with one post. Well they are not going to get business.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts

^^This.......:beer:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I agree 100%. If a person makes a deal, they should honor it. It's that simple.
Another reason why I look at who the seller is and I hope they look at the buyer. I was going to buy an item from someone this past weekend who I know has been on here a long time now. In the end I wasn't the 1st to say I would buy it. When I see 50,000 jeep for sale from an individual with one post. Well they are not going to get business.
I agree with all this above. I was raise where your word proves who you are and how respectful you are. And when I make those kinda of deals, I check feedback and get name and numbers. Also, I'm one of the top bst sellers here and a couple other places. I have bought and sold many things and held things for people. Yes, I've been burned, but that happens. Any time I've told some one I was going to buy some thing and payment would be on such date, I paid on that day. It's really sad to see that people are just out to fuck other people over by going behind their back and trying to essentially steal the deal..... I'm glad to see there is a lot more people like that than just me. Cudos to those folks! And well.... Sadly enough, I haven't heard from the buy and supposed to be sending payment today.... If he sold it after we had a deal, his name will be posted below as that's really gonna piss me off.

·
Registered
108 Posts
When I want to buy something, I pay for it right then and there. The money is sent. If I can't afford it, I don't ask a seller to hold it. that's not fair to the seller. :nono-1: I don't even ask that of my acquaintances. If it sells, too bad for me.

If I'm dealing with my friends, I'll hold stuff on their word no problem because I know they are good for it. For some random internet person I have never met- word unfortunately doesn't mean dick these days. Learned too many times the hard way. Money talks.

BUT, if a seller said he'd hold it and then didn't, that's not cool. As a seller, I'd just never say I'll hold it unless I know the guy is 100% good for it (a friend).

·
Premium Member
939 Posts

I must agree. I actually had two people at my house at one time looking at a motorcycle I was selling. The first guy to contact me and tell me he was going to buy it was first in line and even though I had set up separate times for the two to show up the other guy showed up first. It actually turned into a bidding war with the second guy trying to offer me more money. In the end I couldn't feel right with myself if I had sold it for more money after I had already essentially made a deal.

Sometimes I will post up and say "first one with money gets it" but if I don't say that and I make a deal it's a deal.

It's too bad more people don't hold to that but I can't blame the "sniper" for trying to outbid you, in the end we can just hope the seller stays true to his word.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I want to buy something, I pay for it right then and there. The money is sent. If I can't afford it, I don't ask a seller to hold it. that's not fair to the seller. :nono-1: I don't even ask that of my acquaintances. If it sells, too bad for me.

If I'm dealing with my friends, I'll hold stuff on their word no problem because I know they are good for it. For some random internet person I have never met- word unfortunately doesn't mean dick these days. Learned too many times the hard way. Money talks.

BUT, if a seller said he'd hold it and then didn't, that's not cool. As a seller, I'd just never say I'll hold it unless I know the guy is 100% good for it (a friend).
Did you buy your house with credit? Did you buy your car all in cash? I didn't think so. Jeep parts are expensive, I bet 90% of people on here don't have $400 to throw down. If I say I'll pay, I don't back out.

I must agree. I actually had two people at my house at one time looking at a motorcycle I was selling. The first guy to contact me and tell me he was going to buy it was first in line and even though I had set up separate times for the two to show up the other guy showed up first. It actually turned into a bidding war with the second guy trying to offer me more money. In the end I couldn't feel right with myself if I had sold it for more money after I had already essentially made a deal.

Sometimes I will post up and say "first one with money gets it" but if I don't say that and I make a deal it's a deal.

It's too bad more people don't hold to that but I can't blame the "sniper" for trying to outbid you, in the end we can just hope the seller stays true to his word.
Id do business with you! Some times ya lose out, but at the same time, it's like paying it forward.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Like others have said, first with money takes it. But I also make it a point that I'm not holding anything.

However, it would be shitty for the guy to sell it after he promised he'd hold it for you.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I pretty much agree with everyone. Money talks.

That being said, if I sell something on CL and the person says they will come after work later in the day, I'll hold it.

But if somebody says I'll buy it on payday or can come by in a few days, then I let them know it's theirs unless somebody else comes moves first. I have offered people that really want it a deposit option - they can send me $20 on PayPal and I'll hold it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you buy your house with credit? Did you buy your car all in cash? I didn't think so. Jeep parts are expensive, I bet 90% of people on here don't have $400 to throw down. If I say I'll pay, I don't back out.

I thought we were talking about forum/online purchases. When I bought my house or jeep, I put money down. Not to mention if you don't follow up on a loan, the bank can take your assets, so they are not concerned. We're talking about online word, not loans and no handshakes. Word from some random internet person you don't know.

Like I said before I agree with you that it's shitty that the seller agreed to hold it for you and didn't. If I said I'd hold something I'd stick to it- but for online selling I don't do that anymore since buyers can be flaky. If a buyer wants something he can always leave a deposit. At least then you know he's good for it.

So yeah it sucks but come on it's the internet. I've come to expect this sort of stuff.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts