JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can access this site from work, but not at home. I have 2 computers at home and neither one can get me onto this site.

At work I can access it with no problems and keep in mind work has like a bazillan firewalls.

Any idea's why i can't get to this website from home?

·
Registered
441 Posts
What exactly happens? Go to a command line and type "PING www.jkowners.com" (without the quotes). What do you see?

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What exactly happens? Go to a command line and type "PING www.jkowners.com" (without the quotes). What do you see?
at home i type in www.jkowners.com and it comes back that its an invalid website. I then to to yahoo and google search engines to find the website and click on the link. It still comes back not being a valid website.

My home PC will go to any other website just fine... For some reason, i can't get this website from home.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Type the PING command I provided when you get home. There may be an issue with your ISP's DNS.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Type the PING command I provided when you get home. There may be an issue with your ISP's DNS.
ok.. you are starting to talk a little greek to me... LOL!!!

I know what the command line is (run-cmd), but thats about it
I've never done this before, so what do i look for with ISP's and DNS?

A

·
0 Posts
Try re-booting your cable modem and/or wireless router. I've seen that fix simmilar issues with DNS lookup trouble.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I never thought of those fixes. I thought the site was down all weekend when I was checking from home. And that on Monday when I checked from work it had come back up.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I never thought of those fixes. I thought the site was down all weekend when I was checking from home. And that on Monday when I checked from work it had come back up.
i'm glad i wasn't the only one having this issue.

Thanks for the post

·
Registered
712 Posts
Any chance you guys (Ruskin and Grant) are on the same ISP? You both seem to be from Florida with the same problem. As pointed out before, it's probably a DNS issue (and given the recent flurry of activity around DNS exploits, it's possible that your ISP hasn't patched yet, or created problems when patching). It could also be a bad route, or a misbehaving proxy at your ISP.

Try this, (in windows):
Start->Run->cmd
at the command prompt, type:
nslookup www.jkowners.com

Compare that to the same command run from work.

If they are the same, then it's likely a routing issue or a proxy issue. To determine, get back to your command prompt (from home), and type:
tracert www.jkowners.com

Now, the above command may or may not be useful depending on your ISP's handling of ICMP packets (i.e. they may block packets of this type). However, what you want to look for here are timeout's (it'll be obvious in the output). If there's a timeout at a particular hop, that means either the route's bad somewhere (or a flaky intermediate node), or the packets are being blocked.

If you get all the way to the site using tracert, then it's likely a proxy or traffic filtering issue. To test this, find a free proxy server on the internet (use google), configure that as your proxy (again, use google for instructions), and try again. If you access it just fine, then you know it's a proxy or filtering issue at your ISP.

!c

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sounds like a clear case of the Wife Blocking the Jeep Website that you Spend Every Waking Moment On virus. Very common computer problem for those with Jeeps!

·
Banned
10,249 Posts
Sounds like a clear case of the Wife Blocking the Jeep Website that you Spend Every Waking Moment On virus. Very common computer problem for those with Jeeps!
LMAO!

I have had nothing but problems accessing this page running just windows explorer. But when I access this page via aol, works fine. I hate aol, but as long as I can get here, I'm happy.

My server is brighthouse networks (cable modem).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Openly Hostile
6,981 Posts
LMAO!

I have had nothing but problems accessing this page running just windows explorer. But when I access this page via aol, works fine. I hate aol, but as long as I can get here, I'm happy.

My server is brighthouse networks (cable modem).

The first step to correcting any computer problem is to uninstall aol. muhuhahahaha. :laughing::beer:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i didn't do anything different and I now have home access....

thanks for the help and suggestions!!!

Looks like you guys can't get ride of me!:grinpimp:

·
Registered
441 Posts
i didn't do anything different and I now have home access....
It was probably a DNS issue. Not something you could solve. It just solves itself.

A

·
0 Posts

Good suggestion, but while World Wide Wife Jeep Block 1.0 is an effective filter it can be easily countered with Jewelry 5.0 :laughing:

·
Registered
441 Posts
By the way, if you run into the situation where a site doesn't appear to be loading you can go to the following site and type in the address and it'll tell you if it's up.

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts