JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanting some under hood light and trying to figure out a switch to make them come on when the hood is opened.
Anyone know what this switch is for? It has 2 small purple wires coming out of it. The bracket holding the switch is stamped TIPM and beside it is an empty switch hole is stamped PCM.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Jeep

I don't have a switch like that..... Did you get the jeep new? What year is it?

·
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire
97 Posts
That is the oem remote start hood sensor switch iirc. It's there to kill the remote start if the hood is opened while running.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the oem remote start hood sensor switch iirc. It's there to kill the remote start if the hood is opened while running.
That sounds like another useless feature.
Wonder what would happened if I cut those wires and used the switch for lights?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just tested it and it will shut the engine off after being remote started when the hood is opened.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Isn't it there to prevent a remote start if someone is working under the hood with the engine off?

·
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire
97 Posts
Isn't it there to prevent a remote start if someone is working under the hood with the engine off?

That would make sense too, I never really thought of that aspect. For some reason I always looked at it as preventing someone from messing with the engine with it running and no way to shut it off (the key not being in it to shut it down). Basically two sides to the same coin.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'd get the part number off that switch and order another one, then pop the new switch in the 'PCM' hole. Wire it up to your underhood light and voila, it looks like it came from the factory that way.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, I'd love to buy one of those brackets and the switch if someone has one lying around (or can get the part numbers). That setup paired with a KC Cyclone would make a killer underhood lighting solution, all loomed up like OEM stuff.

EDIT (AGAIN): Here are the Mopar part numbers (for 2013, at least...):

68067791AA Remote Start - BRACKET, Hood Switch
05026211AA Remote Start - SWITCH, Under Hood
06104368AA Remote Start - BOLT AND WASHER
06508601AA Remote Start - U-NUT

I'm having a hard time finding the wiring harness for the switch, and I'm not quite sure what the connector looks like, or else I'd order just the connector and pin it myself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This switch also activates the factory alarm if the hood is opened while it's activated (at least that what it does on mine)

·
Super Moderator
6,222 Posts

cool idea on the Cyclone from KC being triggered by using this oem switch.

I'm thinking of using the same switch for theft deterrence and powering this to come out of the hood with it.

:dustin:

:jeep2:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts