JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I had an interesting conversation with my Jeep buddy at work. His wife normally buys gas at Sinclair, but recently has been buying from QuikTrip (a semi-national conv. store chain prevalent in OK).

Her mileage has been dropping since using QT gas, by about 4mpg. She made an inquiry as to what was in the gas and was told it was an ethanol blend. This is where I have bought gas for years, and have yet to see a sticker on the pump with this bit of info. Going back to Sinclair gas has restored her mileage after a few tanks.

Further research on my part turned up that QT introduced "E10" some months ago. I keep meticulous MPG records and sure enough, I can trace my dissapointing mileage drop to that same time frame. Looking into this closer, I found this forum thread, which is coincidentally in my city.

I did notice that the tank I got in Denver netted me over 18mpg, and the tank I got in Albuquerque clocked in at almost 21mpg!! That's hell and gone from the paultry sub-14 I get on QT gas here in OK.

What have the rest of you noticed in regards to the different types of fuels in your area?

Apparently you have to make sure you are buying 100% gas, not a blend, for decent mileage. My next few tanks are going to be pure gas, results will follow.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Mix gas does not have the same power and you will get worse MPG. We had the same thing happen in are work truck that always got 16 MPG and all of a sudden it got 10 mpg.

Turns out the Station we buy are gas at everymorning went to the MIx and everyone stopped going there because of the problems and worse mileage the mix caused.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Good to know, as we have Quick Trips here also. The big question is, how do you know what you are buying if they are not required to put a label on the pumps?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know, as we have Quick Trips here also. The big question is, how do you know what you are buying if they are not required to put a label on the pumps?
That is the big question. I dug into the forum I linked to in the first post and found another thread listing the stations around town that still had real gas.
So far it's been Texaco, Shell, and Sinclair. This may be different in your area.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
That is the big question. I dug into the forum I linked to in the first post and found another thread listing the stations around town that still had real gas.
So far it's been Texaco, Shell, and Sinclair. This may be different in your area.
I wonder is it is different from state to state. I know out in Colorado when I go there, they have some sort of blend that is cheaper. I forgot what is called, but we don't have it here in GA.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I run Walmart/Sams gas since when they put a gas station in you can use the walmart reloadable gift cards as a gas card and get 3cents off per gallon...one short time it was 6cents! Anyway I did notice their pumps "advertise" an ethanol blend. I just had my first oil change at 3k miles and I've been averaging 19mpg. I commute to work which is about 45ish miles one way. Only a few miles of that is highway. I also do a lot of running around between buildings the farthest being about 5 miles away from the office. I haven't had the nerve to try any other gas since I know it would take a few tanks to get a real reading. That and the Walmart station doesn't change their prices nearly as wildly as the others in my small town.

·
Registered
41 Posts
JohnL, could you drop in mileage coincided with an oil change? I know my mileage drop 1-3 mpg after my first oil change (done at Jiffy Lube). It raised back up after the second one (done at the dealer). I have no idea what brand of oil was used, but Jiffy went by the manual (used a Bosch filter).

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JohnL, could you drop in mileage coincided with an oil change? I know my mileage drop 1-3 mpg after my first oil change (done at Jiffy Lube). It raised back up after the second one (done at the dealer). I have no idea what brand of oil was used, but Jiffy went by the manual (used a Bosch filter).
No, I don't think so. All I've ever run in it is Mobil 1. I haven't noticed any mileage changes after an oil change. I'm due for one this weekend, I'll keep tabs on it and make sure the oil change isn't the variable. Even the local CBS affiliate ran a story on it, here's the link to the story. Interesting video report as well. Looks like lots of people here are having the same low mileage complaint.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2400 mile trip E-10 fillups

Just got back back from a trip to Alabama and Texas. Discovered that stations with the E-10 blend posted gave my JK Unlimited Rubicon much less mileage. Out of Florida was averaging right at 20 mpg. First station in Ala was ethenol blend, mileage dropped to 18 mpg. Second fillup was also E-10 and mileage stayed down. About 600 miles on ethenol. After that made sure only filled at non-ethonol stations. Most states require a "10% Ethonol" sign be posted on the pump. Used Shell and Texaco only after this experience. Mileage went back to 20+ for the rest of the trip.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just got back back from a trip to Alabama and Texas. Discovered that stations with the E-10 blend posted gave my JK Unlimited Rubicon much less mileage. Out of Florida was averaging right at 20 mpg. First station in Ala was ethenol blend, mileage dropped to 18 mpg. Second fillup was also E-10 and mileage stayed down. About 600 miles on ethenol. After that made sure only filled at non-ethonol stations. Most states require a "10% Ethonol" sign be posted on the pump. Used Shell and Texaco only after this experience. Mileage went back to 20+ for the rest of the trip.
Thanks for the input, that's some good info there. I filled up with some non E10 yesterday, I'll post what I find out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its a moot point with the JK because it can't run E85. However, we have Durango at work that does and mpg really goes down with E85.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its a moot point with the JK because it can't run E85. However, we have Durango at work that does and mpg really goes down with E85.
Ummm...we're talking about E10, not E85.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I filled up twice in Kansas at two different QT stations in two different months. Both times it set a check engine with a code that indicated slow O2 sensor #2. Fool me once, fool me twice, I may be a slow learner, but QT in Kansas is out on my list of places to refuel. I was filling up with premium both times (required for the supercharger). Funny thing is, Kroger in my (Texas) area has that same "Diluted with 10% ethanol sign" oops, excuse me, "enriched" and their gas does NOT set my O2 sensor code. Could also be why I only get 14mpg. Or maybe the supercharger. or the leaded foot. Haven't figured it out yet.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
few days old but I noticed this past week both the QT and Kroger gas stations here in ATL have the 10% mix sticker on them yet are the same price as all other gas stations.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First data is in on switching gas

OK guys, here's the proof in the pudding. I just filled up at Sinclair again and clocked an impressive 16.455 mpg for the last tank.
I averaged (over the last 20 tanks) 13.980 mpg on the E10. So just by switching over to "real" gas, I gained 2.475 mpg:bounce:
Oh yeah, for the SAME PRICE! Is this a free mod?:smokin:

I probably would have done better than 16.455 if it weren't for the real nasty wind here, 30-40 mph, for the last two weeks......

·
Registered
9 Posts
I noticed

Here in Mich. I try to always fill up at Shell. I usually get about 3 to 4 miles to the gallon better than the cheaper fuel around town. It cost around 2 cents more but is worth it.
I never investigated what exactly was in it though.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Has any one talked to Jeep about flashing the computer for E10?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I was filling up at Turkey Hill stations in my area, and getting 16-16.5mpg. Started filling up at Hess or Sheetz, and my mileage steadily dropped, all the way down to 13.75mpg. Filled up at a turkey hill again, and I hit 17.6mpg. Oddly enough though, they all have stickers on their pumps saying they have 10% ethanol or less. I guess Turkey Hills stuff just has less than the others. I can't find a station around here that doesn't have some percentage of ethanol in it. Years ago, our cars always ran like crap and pinged on Citgo and Hess, now I know why. I know Citgo has always used a small percentage of ethanol in their gas, but maybe Hess has too, I don't know.

·
Registered
712 Posts
All the gas here is E10 (much to my shagrin =) so, I wouldn't know the difference. I only use big box gas -- shell, chevron, texaco, and valero (ok, so I try to avoid Chavez's gas station, but they're ubiquitous), and they all work pretty much the same for me.

Of course, I get crappy mileage, but I doubt I can blame it on E10 =)

!c

1 - 20 of 37 Posts