JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was made aware of a fucked up situation at a local dealership about an hour north of where I live.

There is a worker their, who after hours with a few other service workers, took the front D44 axle out of a brand new, factory Rubicon and swapped it into his X model. (Obviously to rid himself of the D30 front end).

He then proceeded to reinstall that same D30, with a different gear ratio mind you, back onto the factory rubicon he just stole the axle from. After that, him and his little minions put the Jeep back out on the lot like nothing happened.

Now, you wonder how someone could get away with something like that? I am wondering the same thing. Apparently, more than a few people at the dealership are aware of the situation and are either simply looking the other way, or do not know the consequences associated with what this dude just did.

I feel obligated to report the situation. Now, I did contact a customer service rep at chrysler, (who referred me to the proper department), already about this via email, the man I spoke with stated it was an issue that need be dealt with by the dealership.

Ok. So now what? I certainly do not want to contact someone at this very same dealership to report the incident, while the same person I speak to, may or may not be involved or aware of it. What would you do?

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to do what you feel is right. If this is going on and one person gets away with it and there are no consequences ...chances are, it'll happen again.
thats what im saying. I just keep thinking about what will happen to the person/family who buys that rubicon. BOOM! would certainly like to prevent something like this from happening to someone else. super fucked up situation. the more i think about it though, other than warning people of the shady shit that goes on there, there is not much i can do. yes, like i said, i could contact the dealership, but as i also said, more than one person there, i would have to assume is already aware of and in on the situation. i cant report it to the police, as i have no real proof that this occurred, although i know it did.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I would do what's right... if you don't feel comfortable going to the person suggested, go to the owner... just a thought.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
First, do you have proof that this happened? can you confirm the VIN on the vehicle that now has the wrong axle? do you have pics of the d30 in it? You're going to need a little more than accusations if you want to move forward with this.

If you do, than get as high up the food chain as you can before you speak to someone. Ask for the dealer owner, his assistant or other executives. If the dealership is part of a conglomerate then call their executive offices.

You need to assume that the parts and service dept managers are aware and anyone less than upper management won't be able to help you.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I would go to the dealership and get a salesman to take me for a test ride and have him put the Jeep in 4lo. Make you sure you have your video camera rolling.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Go up there after hours like you are looking at a jeep without the hassle of a sales guy there. Then just check to see if you can find the Rubicon that had the axle swapped. If you find it go in and ask to speak to the dealership owner/general manager I doubt they would be on board with stuff like that going on.
It should be easy to figure out who did it, because if he didnt do a gear swap his will grenade as well just like the new one. A lot of shops out there will let their employees work on personal projects after hours, so its entirely possible that nobody up front is aware of exactly what has been happening.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I would go to the dealership pretending to be a buyer and look at all the rubis until I found the one that was changed (there is a difference in the 30 and 44 diff covers) then raise hell and speak to a manager :pissed: Unless the manager was part of it that should get them to start asking their employees questions.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Agreed, IF you have proof and not just hearsay, go to or contact the big guy. I can't imagine the owner or GM of a dealership being aware or condoning theft.
it is also possible that his d30 was regeared.. I don't think he would be stupid enough to put an axle with the wrong gearing in his front end, it would be mostly useless.
unless he leaves it in 2wd until he can do a gear swap.;) I mean that's a small inconvenience for a brand new free axle.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Get the VIN off the Rubi and call Chrysler customer service. Would be pretty easy to spot the guy's "X", too. Big implications here, because he's essentialy commited warranty fraud, an interstate commerce (Federal) offense. If employees of the dealership were involved in a conspiracy they're implicated. Dealer can lose his franchise over something like that if any management were involved.

·
Registered
11,028 Posts
Get the VIN off the Rubi and call Chrysler customer service. Would be pretty easy to spot the guy's "X", too. Big implications here, because he's essentialy commited warranty fraud, an interstate commerce (Federal) offense. If employees of the dealership were involved in a conspiracy they're implicated. Dealer can lose his franchise over something like that if any management were involved.
VVVVVV

........ Now, I did contact a customer service rep at chrysler, (who referred me to the proper department), already about this via email, the man I spoke with stated it was an issue that need be dealt with by the dealership.

Ok. So now what?.....

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
I would go to the dealer and get a much physical proof as possible. Then I would go to the local media with the story. A jeep dealership is selling a vehicle for $32,000 but the parts are from a $22,000 vehicle. Pretty big fraud! They can twist this to make it a great piece for the media AND you will be doing a great service to the community. Let the people know whats going on... this will prevent other dealerships from doing the same shit and cautioning buyers to be more aware.

If you just go to the dealership, the same shit will keep happening there or other places anyways.

·
Registered
284 Posts
You go after hours and find the specific jeep. Then you go back the next morning and start crawling around the rig like your interested and when the sales person comes out to talk you ask them "I thought Rubi's came stock with D44 front and read?" To which he will reply "yes they do". Now you can play all smart and respond "Then why is there a D30 in this Rubi?" Get all indignant like they are trying to pull a fast one and demand to speak to the GM.....or send a wife/Girlfriend who knows about jeeps. Sales folk always get flustered when us Jeep girls come in knowing our stuff!!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I would go to the dealer and get a much physical proof as possible. Then I would go to the local media with the story. A jeep dealership is selling a vehicle for $32,000 but the parts are from a $22,000 vehicle. Pretty big fraud! They can twist this to make it a great piece for the media AND you will be doing a great service to the community. Let the people know whats going on... this will prevent other dealerships from doing the same shit and cautioning buyers to be more aware.

If you just go to the dealership, the same shit will keep happening there or other places anyways.
That will certainly get attention but this is all asumming everyone at the dealership is in on it. If its only a small # of people then youre ruining a business for a few shitty employees.

Best bet is to get proof and go from there. I like the idea of inspecting the rubis, getting the VIN and asking why its not according to factory standard. Give the dealership a chance to make it right. But DEFINITELY do something.

Out of curiosity how do you know about this? The more evidence you have the better.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,650 Posts
Write a letter without a return address to the owner/GM of the dealership.

No reason to get the media all involved. You could always call from a pay phone or something if you're concerned with caller ID giving away your identity.

It's pretty cut and dried theft from the person in question's employer which is something they should be notified of.

I'd only report it if you saw it with your own two eyes.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.