JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Serious question.

We’ve had a trip planned for a few months now.

Windrock, last weekend this month.
Plan on leaving home Thursday AM. Traveling Thur/Fri. wheeling Sat/Sunday.

We were planning on some tourist type stuff both trip up, and on the way home. (Texas btw). Obviously most of that is “off”but...

Windrock is still open, and they are currently saying they won’t close.
Our Hotels are currently saying it’s business as usual w/precautions.

I’m 95% leaning on making the trip w/slight modifications.

I know there’s risk involved but there’s risks regardless.

I’m a 911 paramedic in Harris co. Texas (Houston)
I’m aware of what’s going on, wife and I are healthy, we’re not going to make anybody sick.
The risk is to ourselves not us to anyone else.

Wheeling seems like an activity that we can keep our “social distance” fairly easily.

Would you make the trip?
If not, why?

I sure hate to waste my vacation days sitting on the couch.

I’m not asking for you to tell me what to do, I’m asking your opinion.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
That's a tough one.

One one hand, I'd think sitting at home and letting the .gov's two week stay-cation do it's thing would be the best route.

One the other hand just about all the beer virus is in New York, Cali and Washington.....................and most of those folks think anything they do is vital and fuck everyone else. So what the rest of the country does is a moot point.

On the third hand, I'll say "Let your conscious be your guide".

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
I have been thinking about Moab or Sand Hollow. Moab is basically shut down, can't even camp but have not seen anything from Sand Hollow website says its open. I don't have a problem with going wheeling but what I really think about is leaving my home if the shit hits the fan. Thieves and looters are my big worry.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been thinking about Moab or Sand Hollow. Moab is basically shut down, can't even camp but have not seen anything from Sand Hollow website says its open. I don't have a problem with going wheeling but what I really think about is leaving my home if the shit hits the fan. Thieves and looters are my big worry.

I considered that.

Figure I’ll have the important stuff with me.

Guns,Jeep, Wife.

What guns I don’t take are “safe”.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Things haven't peaked yet here in TN, but cases are going up here geometrically like everywhere else. By next week, there may be few services available to help if you get stranded or injured on the trail. I'd probably stick to only the "gravel" trails at Windrock and those wouldn't be enough to make the ride worthwhile (definitely not worth the day passes, to me anyway).

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
702 Posts
My opinion would be to go.

First, you don't get out of this life alive. And second, living in fear helps no one. I hate the media hype that stirred up this hysteria. And I'm not saying this is not a serious issue, however I refuse to live my life in fear generated by the media and hysterics.

It's one thing if there are special considerations to take into account, like a preexisting condition where you're immune system is compromised. Otherwise have fun.

What ever you choose, good luck... :wink2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
The stats here say 40-70% are going to get it and if your healthy then you will get through. If you do get sick on the road you can high tail it home.
What is it like in your state? Here we are starting to shut a lot of stuff down. Some repair shops are closed some with skeleton crews. I just read that Washington state is getting really pissy with the tourists and giving them 24 hours to leave. If you break down do you have a backup plan? You won't be able to fly/bus/rent a car? Will your Hotel be mandated to evict you?
Our PM is discouraging people from travelling across provinces. He cannot enforce anything yet.
Several years ago we had forest fires near our town, a bunch of rural houses burnt down. The government set up mounties and shut down everything. All the residents were evacuated and it looked like a ghost town.
What do you think President Trump is prepared to Do?

·
Registered
749 Posts
What are the rules for social distancing in public places ? Six feet or something ?

Just make it five miles or there about while wheelin' , should be OK .

>:)

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Things haven't peaked yet here in TN, but cases are going up here geometrically like everywhere else. By next week, there may be few services available to help if you get stranded or injured on the trail. I'd probably stick to only the "gravel" trails at Windrock and those wouldn't be enough to make the ride worthwhile (definitely not worth the day passes, to me anyway).

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
I think you mean Exponentially.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
“Shelter in place” orders dropping left and right.

Appears that I my have my choice taken away from me.

Hmmmm

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
All we have to fear … is fear itself.

And you can quote me on that. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
1,000 Posts
I'll have to do a search on this forum to verify that.

·
Premium Member
4,087 Posts
Getting in trouble for being out and about would be my only worry.

Catching the virus? It's the flu. 98% of people who get it, shake it off. Most wont even know they have it. People with compromised immune systems need to worry just like with any other virus.

Now, you could catch it and not know it and give it to someone else who might be compromised..............that would kind of suck, if you actually knew you did it.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I had a trip planned for FL to see Gatornationals, was all set t ogo and they shut it down. wound up staying home and getting some work done on vehicles etc.

girlfriend did make her trip to Thailand just in time.

I wouldn't put off the trip from fear but if stuff is going to be closing anyway....

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,236 Posts
I'd take a road trip to FL and throw a few hi-lifts in the back of KOWBOY's non-Rubicon while he's sleeping.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts