JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bought my wife a used '06 TJ that has stock suspension with 33x10.5 Goodrich AT's. She told me she wants to wheel it a little but doesn't want to lose daily driving ability. The tires rub the fenders when she goes over anything larger than a speed bump.

Her current tires give her horrible mileage and we came up with an economical solution. I have 30" Hankook AT's (~5k miles) and am upgrading to 35's soon. We're going to put my old tires on her Jeep (w/ adapters) so she gets better mileage around town. In the winter we'll swap the 33 Goodrich's back on for the snow.

She wants a lift and I can't decide between a 2 or 3". Would the 3" look funny with 30" around town, and would a 2" be enough to clear 33's? We're doing this because she needs a lift either way and I'm getting new tires. Seems like the cheapest option in our situation. Thoughts?

I imagine she will do most of her wheeling with the 30's on. The more I maker her happy with this the less she cares about what I do to my JK.

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
A few thoughts/questions...first, don't you have to lift TJ's a lot more than JK's to fit any larger sized tires?

Second, does anyone make something similar to the JK's Leveling Kit? A basic lift that gives a little height, without sacrificing drive components?

And finally...what are her thoughts on flat/hi-line fenders?

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,956 Posts
^^ In short, yes. I had a 01 TJ and just to fit 31's without rubbing, disconnected, and I had a 4" ProComp lift. I probably could have fit those tires without the lift, but I would have rubbed just like above situation.

JKS makes an ACOS system that would probably work, but lift kits for the TJ are relatively cheap now compared to the JK...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have an 06 LJ and you can do it with either a 2" BB & a 1" body lift, or 2" longer springs (OME) and a 1" body lift. This will clear 33"s with no rubbing as long as you have the correct backspacing for the wider than stock 33's. I just turned over 100k with this setup. The RE Budget Boost (BB) is cheap and easy and so is the body lift. I would suggest the 1" spacer type body lift as the other transferred too much motor vibration, for me anyway.

·
Registered
565 Posts
No body lift, I think Merlin is on the right track with fenders and a small lift. Let your wife check out kcjeepgirl's TJ (33") tonight. I think she has done a great job on it, and you have seen pic's of it wheel stuff. No pic's wheeling with us??? Talk to Moran (35"s I think) also, I've wheeled with him quite a few times and his little 4 banger gets around very well. :skull:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts