JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Rock God
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got into a bit of a bench building discussion today, and we started wondering what are the most popular wheels for Jeep builds these days? What wheels to you run, or you would like to run? Size, brand, offset, diameter? If you can post a pic of what wheels you're running, we'd love to see!

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Running cragar 17" × 8.5 5on5 with 3.5" backspacing.
Stock width dynatrac ultimate 44 front, d44 rear.
The jk is too wide, but I dont want to notch frame for clearance. Next rubber prolly downsize to 35's

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
RT 233 with aluminum rings, 17X9 with I think 4.75 inch backspace on 37" cooper STT's.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts

cheapest ,lightest possible until big axle upgrade which requires wheel change to eight-lugs. I've run the 16" and 17" level8 strike Vs and at 21lbs they are tough and replaceable due to cost ...

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wife is running ATX Slabs 17x9", 3.5" backspacing.

I am running stock Rubicon wheels. Just picked it up Wednesday. :thefinger:

·
Vendor
2,503 Posts

Running spyderlocks on 37" inch Nittos. Good combination but it's also a heavy combination.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hutchinson Rock Monster
17x8.5
BS 4.63

Or...

AEV Pintler
17x8.5
BS 5.2
Offset +10mm

Depends on whether I have to pass inspection. ;)
(The Pintlers normally ride under the JGC.)

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts
not one of you responding commentors has made me feel 'good' about my wheel choice ! You cats are ALL sporting the best wheels -nice beadlocks - with your OEM 5x127mm(5x5.0 bolt pattern); I see @Danthephotoman has 8lugs indicating axle upgrade but are the guys that are running $2,500 - $3,000 worth of kickass wheels on stock axles not worried about having to repurchase am entire new set of wheels +tires after they upgrade axle housings ? What about weight ; aren't you running 110lbs or more on each corner with even a pentastar thats gonna have steeper -even 5.38s- gearing seem pokey except for when crawling ?
To clarify : I'm not disrespecting!
I honestly went with ( even getting a second set when going from 35" on 16s to 37x12.&x17s) the cheap , non beadlocks level 8 strV because I chew them up but they are very stupid strong yet only weigh 21lbs. With my 37" KO2s( 36.4") I am only at 96-98lbs per corner and now w/ 5.13s I can actually drive this thing. I figured I'd have to get housings and subsequently new pattern wheels with tires at that time is all.
I guess you are counting on reselling ,like we do every other part , to compensate for replacing when axles get upgrades. Now I feel like the kid wearing Payless Air Jordans to the game where everyone has the real ones on.... I really want the TrailGear or Methods but if I had to buy all new wheels and tires on top of new axles I couldn't afford to all at once ....just an observation :jeep2:

Again guys, nice ass wheels so far in here !

·
Registered
253 Posts
not one of you responding commentors has made me feel 'good' about my wheel choice ! You cats are ALL sporting the best wheels -nice beadlocks - with your OEM 5x127mm(5x5.0 bolt pattern); I see @Danthephotoman has 8lugs indicating axle upgrade but are the guys that are running $2,500 - $3,000 worth of kickass wheels on stock axles not worried about having to repurchase am entire new set of wheels +tires after they upgrade axle housings ? What about weight ; aren't you running 110lbs or more on each corner with even a pentastar thats gonna have steeper -even 5.38s- gearing seem pokey except for when crawling ?
I honestly went with ( even getting a second set when going from 35" on 16s to 37x12.&x17s) the cheap , non beadlocks level 8 strV because I chew them up but they are very stupid strong yet only weigh 21lbs. With my 37" KO2s( 36.4") I am only at 96-98lbs per corner and now w/ 5.13s I can actually drive this thing. I figured I'd have to get housings and subsequently new pattern wheels with tires at that time is all.
I guess you are counting on reselling ,like we do every other part , to compensate for replacing when axles get upgrades. Now I feel like the kid wearing Payless Air Jordans to the game where everyone has the real ones on.... I really want the TrailGear or Methods but if I had to buy all new wheels and tires on top of new axles I couldn't afford to all at once ....just an observation :jeep2:

If it makes you feel better, this fear has kept me from even running aftermarket wheels! OEMs and spacers for me.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Mine's in "development". :D
Axles are last on the list. I take it easy enough not to tweak things at this point.
3.73s with a manual, it's not bad but 1st/4Hi is gutless uphills offroad...usually use 3rd or 4th/4Lo for those with ease, depending on terrain. Still running stock lift, etc. Crawling big obstacles necessitating flex is an effort in futility/pointlessness...pretty much zero articulation.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts

My Racelines are 5x5.5 with a larger center bore, I run them with adapters on my 5x5 lug axles. The thought was that they would work with the Currie 60's...but now that the UD 60's are out, that is probably what I will go with.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I am running 17" BAD Beadlocks with 37" MT/Rs. They have a 3.5" backspace, and weigh in at about 50# with hardware. My front axle is trussed and has RCV axles. Geared at 5.13.

I like the wheels, and one of my favorite features are the built in quick deflators. I am not looking forward to replacing tires - that procedure does not look friendly.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

Yep I think about it all the time. If I ever do upgrade the axles the cost of new wheels will have to be added into the equation. But at this point in my life I do not forsee upgrading axles. Unless I win powerball then all bets are off on my spending spree.

Reactions: j3ff3ry_j33p
1 - 20 of 43 Posts