JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like the title says...

What type/brand of floor jack are you using to work on your rig?

I have a "Big Red" that i bought from Pep Boys last year... its an SUV jack, says its rated to 3 tons. the other day i was under the rig when the jack shifted. the frame of the jack is bent and i dont trust it anymore. my problem is i dont want to get another one of those for fear of it failing and i cant seem to find any that lift higher than 19 inches. and lets face it, most, of not all of our Jeeps wont even begin to get off the ground at 19 inches!

so, back to the original question... what are you using? where did you get it and how much did it cost?

·
Registered
7,277 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
this is the one i have........... bout $550 but i have used the **** out of it for about 4 years, and i mean everyday use....shop....race pits...muddy holes and it still works as good as the day i got it. I try** to not put myself in a position where a jack could fail and get me hurt, but i also like the piece of mind that comes from having a quality jack.

http://image.snapon.com/international/pdf/ya1713.pdf

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have a snap-on 3 ton jack. Have had it for 20 some years cost $300

Have to add oil to it now and then but still going Strong

This jack was used daily for many years also

·
Registered
799 Posts
:grinpimp: I've got a Kobalt 3 ton, lifts 19 3/4 inches and has quicktime setup

If you need more than 19 inchs of jack lift to rotate or change tires, you're not using the right spots

:D:jeep2: JIMBO

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I GOT A 3 TON floor jack at walmart about 4 years ago ..but since i bought a lift for my garage .do not use it much...:thefinger: ..LOL
hey beags... ill be right over.... :D:D:beer:

i may be purchasing a home in the very near future and it has a garage with an attic above, i am thinking of opening up the garage ceiling and getting a lift, how much does one of those bad boys cost? (note:im too lazy to look for myself!)

thanks for the opinions everyone, i need to get moving on this...

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also have a lift....it's a 2 post 9000lb unit from Eagle Equipment. I have had it for many years and it is one of THE BEST things I have ever bought !!! :D They don't sell my exact model anymore, but here is the closest to the one I have..

http://www.eagleequip.com/page/EE/PROD/LI-ETP/MTP-9A

Todd

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
WOW that ones only 1500 bucks, Holy hell thats cheap, I've seen them 3-5k. Thats awesome. How much was the install? Did you have to have a certain strength concrete?

·
Registered
449 Posts
A friend of mine had a friend killed when the jack gave out when they were under their car. Always use a jackstand when your under it no matter what.

BTW I use a craftsman one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
WOW that ones only 1500 bucks, Holy hell thats cheap, I've seen them 3-5k. Thats awesome. How much was the install? Did you have to have a certain strength concrete?
I did the install myself, just had to rent a large hammer drill for a day, thats about it...

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
hey beags... ill be right over.... :D:D:beer:

i may be purchasing a home in the very near future and it has a garage with an attic above, i am thinking of opening up the garage ceiling and getting a lift, how much does one of those bad boys cost? (note:im too lazy to look for myself!)

thanks for the opinions everyone, i need to get moving on this...
Not too bad my lift was $1495.00 about 3 years ago i get alot of my stuff at Greg Smith Equipment in DELware..i just whet there on tuesday ,my neigtbor here got a buch of stuff.the guy there hooks me and everybody i send up there up..:D:D

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A friend of mine had a friend killed when the jack gave out when they were under their car. Always use a jackstand when your under it no matter what.

BTW I use a craftsman one.
a young kid from my volunteer fire company was killed a few years ago when he stopped to help someone broke down on the side of the road. he put the car up on the scissor jack and a truck drove past causing the car to shudder... the car then rolled backward off the jack crushing him. he died 4 days later.

the sad part is that his lifelong sweetheart/girlfriend/fiance watched from their car.

·
Registered
7,277 Posts
a young kid from my volunteer fire company was killed a few years ago when he stopped to help someone broke down on the side of the road. he put the car up on the scissor jack and a truck drove past causing the car to shudder... the car then rolled backward off the jack crushing him. he died 4 days later.

the sad part is that his lifelong sweetheart/girlfriend/fiance watched from their car.
that sucks, my dads friend was killed changing a flat tire on the Turnpike they never caught the guy who hit him. :shaking:

I WILL NEVER EVER CHANGE A FLAT TIRE ON SHOULDER OF HIGHWAY, 100-300tire/rim is not worth a life. People drive like idiots not paying attention. NO ONE should change a tire on side of a highway, I wouldnt want anyone to loose someone that way.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I got my floor jack from AutoZone it's aluminum and has 5 or 6 LED lights on it to see where you need to jack at.

·
Registered
158 Posts
When I used to work on my car I would always slide the wheels under the car just in case a jack stand knocked over. At least my head isn't as tall as the wheel.

But, in a Jeep. the tire would take a lot of pressure if the Jeep fell on it, so, I'm not sure how that would go.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts