JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just finished up my full rear corners, and am stuck at what to do between the armor and the body. Once they are on, they won't be coming back off unless I mangle one and need to replace it.
Options:
1. Nothing- Corners are powdercoated. Put a fresh coat of wax on the body and bolt them on. This will allow water and dirt in, but also allow it to drain out.
2. Silicone- Apply silicone to every edge, and around every bolt hole. My concern is that I wouldn't get it 100% sealed, and what moisture does get in couldn't get out.
3. Grease- I did this on a truck I put bushwacker flares on. Spread grease on the body to prevent rust. The downside is that this will attract dirt and grit, and trap it.
4. Silicone-2... Only apply silicone to the top edge. I have PSC corners that wrap the top edge, so this will prevent water coming in from the top, but still allow drainage from the bottom.

Any other ideas??????

I'm looking to get these on this weekend.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Plastidip the inner side of the armor. That is what I am going to do to mine. You could also clear plastidip the body panel prior to putting the armor on. I am going to plastidip my OR Fabs when I finally have time to install them. Even though I have the liners, I think plastidip will work better.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I ran some silicone along the top edge of the corner, it helps give it a finished look. I left the bottom without in case and water get in there it has somewhere to drain.

I learned over the years contracting in poultry plants there is no way to keep the water out, impossible. Gotta give it somewhere to go.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'm not sure what its called but I found this thin rubber stuff at Lowes that I think is used in shower or tub installation. Its on a big roll and you just have them cut what you need. It works great. I have removed things like a pillar light mounts on my old jk without the rubber and the body was starting to rust underneath.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I run silicone about an inch down from the edge around the sides and top of the part. Lets moisture get out the bottom, but dirt/crap isn't as likely to get in. Being 1" down you don't have to look at the silicone, but any debris will clean out easy with a hose.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
I ran some silicone along the top edge of the corner, it helps give it a finished look. I left the bottom without in case and water get in there it has somewhere to drain.

I learned over the years contracting in poultry plants there is no way to keep the water out, impossible. Gotta give it somewhere to go.
Yep.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Get the rubber moulding with adhesive backing. Picked mine up at Ace, comes in different lengths and widths. Worked great the first time with my smittybilt fenders and the second time when I went with metalcloaks. Clean install without the silicone mess. Keeps the water and dirt from between the body and corners.

·
Registered
154 Posts
You guys got pics of any of this stuff? Curious to see what it ends up looking like, I'ld like to clean up the look of my corners a bit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts