JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With only 600 miles on my 4 door JK, I pull it out of the driveway today and begin driving away from my house. After approximately 200 yards my jeep looses power. If I put it in any gear and give it some gas or even floor it, the jeep just crawls at 2 miles per hour. I had to turn around and crawl back home. It is a 6 speed manual transmission rubicon and I am certain it was not in 4 low. The only mods that I have done to date are 3" lift, 35 inch tires, hypertech super chip and banks exhaust. The jeep was driving perfect until now? Any idea what could be going on?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
were the ESP lights on?

over the weekend i left the cooler plugged in and drained my battery. after the jump i went down the road but couldnt get above 17-18 MPH. ESP was working. had to disable ESP manually.

1 sec ill copy and paste what i did from my build thread (i knew there was a reason i posted it sunday)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
(Source: Somewhere on the internet I cannot take credit for this, other than copying it here for someone else to see)

WARNING:With ESP in the permanent disabled mode, the enhanced vehicle stability offered by the Electronic Stability Program (ESP) and Electronic Roll Mitigation (ERM) systems is unavailable. In an emergency evasive maneuver, the ESP and ERM systems will not engage to assist in maintaining vehicle stability. This disabled mode is intended for off-road use only. Vehicle modifications requiring the owner to configure the vehicle in the ESP disabled mode, will seriously affect the vehicle roadworthiness, safety, and may lead to loss of control and/or accident resulting in serious injury or fatal injuries.

Procedure To Turn ON (or OFF) The Permanent ESP Disable Feature:

Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the Park� position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.

Start the vehicle engine and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.

Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position. Firmly set parking brake.

Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

Turn the steering wheel one-half (½) turn to the right (clockwise). HOLD steering wheel in this position.

Press and hold the ESP OFF� button for 7 seconds. Release the ESP OFF� button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.

Turn the steering wheel back to center, then turn the steering wheel one-half (½) turn to the left (counterclockwise). HOLD the steering wheel in this position.

Press and hold the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds. Release the ESP OFF button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.

Turn the steering wheel back to center.

Press and hold the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds. Release the ESP OFF button right after 7 seconds. Wait for chime.

Cycle the ignition switch to the OFF position.

While the Permanent ESP Disable feature is turned on, the vehicle will display the following:

The ESP telltale in the instrument cluster will be illuminated.

The vehicle odometer will display a ESP OFF message.

To Turn OFF The Permanent ESP Disable Feature

Repeat the above procedure (in Step 1).

the reason i posted this is because i drained my battery last night and had to do this to disable ESP. Some reason it will re-enable itself when you disconnect the battery or drain it like i did. BTW i never got a chime when i did this. but it worked fine. i could not drive over 20mph until i disabled ESP. would have made a long trip back to kansas city from just south of witchita kansas. LoL
:beer:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Disco the battery for a few minutes and see if a reset does the job. I was wheeling with some of the SoCal guys after SummerFest and mine would barely run and felt like it was going to stall. We checked a bunch of stuff and everything seemed to check out fine. Just for fun, I disco-ed the brain, and it forgot all about whatever problem it thought that it had....

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE! I decided to start it up again and drive her around the block. She is driving fine now????? Now I need to know what caused this as I would hate for this to happen on the highway. Thoughts please.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yeah, I took it into the dealership and it looks like it was a problem with the chip. Now what? Maybe I need to find a different chip. Thoughts?
Unfortunately at this time there is nothing other than leaving it stock.
IMO
Chips and CAI are not worth the $ for any minimal amount of power gain.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spoke with Jim at Hypertech and was really impressed with the customer service. They are very professional and very knowledgeable about their product. Well, after much discussion it looks like it was just a weird glitch and there are no cases of problems with the Hypertech and my particular situation. If it happens again I'll keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
195 Posts
To complete my tech write up, I need your Serial number please PM it to me.
I do not see this being related to the program but thats not my call to make, I have to submit all the information for final review to the Research and Development Manager.

Thanks
800-532-3351 ext 1435 Jay

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
To complete my tech write up, I need your Serial number please PM it to me.
I do not see this being related to the program but thats not my call to make, I have to submit all the information for final review to the Research and Development Manager.

Thanks
800-532-3351 ext 1435 Jay
Please keep us posted as to this working on 2010 without problems.

·
Registered
195 Posts
To the best of my knowledge we are not having any JK tune issues. I follow up with all customer concerns regardless if we feel its related to our product or not. Since you are expressing concern in the matter, I will post a new thread asking our members to post up any issues.

·
Registered
660 Posts
hypertech super chip and banks exhaust. The jeep was driving perfect until now? Any idea what could be going on?
The last thing I heard was that Hypertech Superchip wasn't available for the 2010 yet. Check that - if it's programmed for '09 or '08 you might have a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts