JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the stock shocks on my 'X' with something more for off-road use but still ride halfway nice. I am looking at Rancho 5000 or Skyjackers or Bilsteins. Any suggestions or comments will be welcome.

·
Registered
900 Posts
x2. Wondering the same thing myself. Takeoff Rubi shocks are readily available and cheap, but I don't want the Jeep riding any more like a cement truck than it already does. Suggestions?

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
I have had bilsteins on my last 2 vehicles and love them. I recently just put them on he jeep and they seem to work great. We get that damn mag-chloride out here in the winter and I have not noticed any rusting issues as I have on the skyjacker steering stabalizer I had.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have had bilsteins on my last 2 vehicles and love them. I recently just put them on he jeep and they seem to work great. We get that damn mag-chloride out here in the winter and I have not noticed any rusting issues as I have on the skyjacker steering stabalizer I had.
I've used Bilsteins, Konis and a number of other aftermarket, performance shocks on a variety of sports car projects over the years and can attest to their quality as well. But, I can also attest to the fact that they typically ride much firmer than OEM. I'm looking to maintain (or improve upon) stock ride quality if possible, while getting a shock thats dampening qualities don't dissappear after 5000 miles. How do your Bilsteins ride?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I want to replace the stock shocks on my 'X' with something more for off-road use but still ride halfway nice.
Kind of a contradiction there as you generally want very firm shocks for off-road, but softer shocks for on-road. Maybe some adjustable shocks? Monotube shocks, like the Bilstein 5100 series, will most probably be your best non adjustable shocks to go with.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I personally like a softer shock off road. I don't like the hard rebound with of a firm shock. I run hydraulic and will eventually switch to a resevoir shock.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you believe the Quadratec catalog, they say that the OME shocks have the softest ride of all those currently available for the JK. Anybody have any experience with these either on their JK or an earlier Jeep?

·
Vendor
2,531 Posts
I've used Bilsteins, Konis and a number of other aftermarket, performance shocks on a variety of sports car projects over the years and can attest to their quality as well. But, I can also attest to the fact that they typically ride much firmer than OEM. I'm looking to maintain (or improve upon) stock ride quality if possible, while getting a shock thats dampening qualities don't dissappear after 5000 miles. How do your Bilsteins ride?
i have no complaints right now, although i have only had them on for a short period of time. i loved them on my ram 2500. they do seem to ride a little less stiff than the teraflex that i had on before, but that also was a budget boost as compared to a short arm kit,

·
Registered
323 Posts
Edelbrock

Look for the Edelbrock they self adjust based on the the need......... There web site has the whole story..

I have the extreme travel resevoir 4 inch lift.

They have all lengths though.

Good Luck

·
Registered
176 Posts
i can tell you dont get procomp shocks. my wife has them on her x and it is stiff. they work good on the trail but not on the street.

·
Registered
592 Posts
You need to compare apples to apples, a Bilstein is very different from a Rancho/Skyjacker. You basically have two common types of shocks, a twin tube and a monotube.

The twin tubes are almost always white painted body and are made by either of two manufacturers Tenneco or Arvin Meritor. Pro-comp, Rancho, Skyjacker, or any other white shock are from one of these two and are usually just a generically valved shocks picked on the basis of the length and mounting configuration. They're advantage is that they are inexpensive.

A montube shock will most likely be manufactured by Bilstein or Edelbrock, also most of the race shocks like Fox, King, Sway-A-Way are also monotube shocks. Bilstein only manufactures their own brand, Edelbrock manufacturers their own brand as well as many others such as Rubicon Express, Superlift, Polyperformance, Full-traction and many others. Most of the monotube shocks use the same type of dampening piston but the Edelbrock IAS are very unique and have good handling characteristics but do cost a little more because of it. The advantage of a monotube shock is that they can work better than a twin tube, they give a more controlled ride, dissipate heat better and can be mounted rod down. Most of the monotube shocks are custom made for a specific application. Dependiing of the brand, you have a good chance that they are tuned to that specific application. I know that most brands that get shocks from Edelbrock do not put much effort into tuning to really take advantage of it. Edelbrock spends a good amount of time tuning for their brand for each specific application but mostly makes shocks for stock applications and for a few popular lift applications. We put a lot of time tuning our shocks for our JK lifts as well as some of the other shocks we sell, probably more time than any one else.

Most of the time you get what you pay for, If you have a stock suspension JK, you might be limited. I would recommend and Edelbrock IAS or Bilstein. If you have a lifted JK, I would recommend Polyperformance or Edelbrock IAS or Bilstein.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Great info on shock tech..........thanks for the input GOAT1. I had actually been considering the Edelbrocks based on comments from friends (though not Jeep specific) and a recent write up in Peterson's. Since my Jeep is not (and probably will not be) lifted :bawling:, it's begining to sound like this is the way to go.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shocks

I do have a Daystar spacer kit (1 3/4" front--3/4" rear) will stock lenght stocks work or do I have to special order? I think I am favoring the Bilsteins. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Go Bilstein...

...the Bilsteins are the way to go if you don't intend to make your JK a skyscraper....1" ride height comes by default...33" tires are a no brainer without lift...check www.allshocks.com.You'll be glad you did;)

·
Registered
900 Posts
...the Bilsteins are the way to go if you don't intend to make your JK a skyscraper....1" ride height comes by default...33" tires are a no brainer without lift...check www.allshocks.com.You'll be glad you did;)
Thanks for the info. I've bookmarked the web page. As soon as the wife calms down from me buying wheels, tires and a front bumper, I'll look into shocks. :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well I don't know much about shocks but I can tell you this. The shock/spring combo from OME is excellent imho. Its odd cause I had some no name hydro shocks on there before the OME ones and they would nose dive when braking really bad but with the OME stuff the nose dive is 200% better but yet it feels like it rides softer over bumps.

I dunno I'm really happy I got the OME HD lift. Now I just need some 35's to stick on the Jeep and ill be set. I have not had a chance to test it off road but I will be on the 2nd sat of April with a off road club. Ill be sure to let you guys know how it is off road.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do you know if the OME shocks are available without the lift? I'd like to keep my ride height basically stock (at least for now), but I will need new shocks soon. At 16,000 miles the dampening on the stockers is already headed south.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I think if you contact some vendors they can work a deal with you. I have seen someone else just buy the shocks. I do think the lift as a total adds some discount so the shocks alone are still gonna be a bit pricey.

O and another thing if you don't use the OME springs then I'm not sure how it will ride I'm sure it will change the way it rides a little bit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'd like to know how to get rid of the side-to-side "head toss". Even coming off my driveway onto the street at an angle will throw the Jeep side-to-side. My wife HATES this. My thought is a stiffer shock with more rebound dampening, but I don't know. Any thoughts on this. This is of course super-low speed stuff and I don't know if Edelbrock's speed-sensitive valving would address it. I was thinking a Rancho RS9000, or MX-6.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts