JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I got a Teraflex CB antenna mount for the spare tire carrier, how long of an antenna do I need to get it up over the roof and have good range? Four or Five foot is what I'm thinking, but not sure.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I use a 4' Firestik. Never had any transmitting/ receiving issues. It is mounted to the rear frame-rail (since I have no rear bumper). Only sticks up a couple inches past the hard-top, although I usually run without the top.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Stub, you must be the answer man.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Thanks again Stub, you must be the answer man.
LOL- nope- just waiting for some stuffed jalapenos to finish roasting in the oven. :beer:

The only bad thing I have heard about the Firestik is that it is not a whip antenna. For me it is no big deal since mine is short- doesn't stick up high enough to present issues with low-hanging tree limbs, etc.....but if it is longer than 4' or is mounted higher up on the Jeep, then it could present problems. jmo.

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
102" ftw!

Works well here in the middle of nowhere, will have to see how it does when I wheel in the mid-west..

·
Registered
146 Posts
...The only bad thing I have heard about the Firestik is that it is not a whip antenna. For me it is no big deal since mine is short- doesn't stick up high enough to present issues with low-hanging tree limbs, etc.....but if it is longer than 4' or is mounted higher up on the Jeep, then it could present problems. jmo.
I went with the 4' FireFly because it does stick up above the top, a little over 1', and it is a flexible fiberglass.
I think using the Teraflex mount would put it about the same height as mine at the bottom, so I'd say get at least a 3' antenna. A buddy of mine got a 2', and while on the road we lost each other at about 1/2 mile.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I went with the 4' FireFly because it does stick up above the top, a little over 1', and it is a flexible fiberglass.

....get at least a 3' antenna. A buddy of mine got a 2', and while on the road we lost each other at about 1/2 mile.
X2 on min 3-4'. :beer:

Yea- like I said- "only sticks up a couple inches on mine".

Even though it's flexible- that thing can cause damage to tail lights, paint, etc. When you catch that thing on something- it snaps back like crazy. Not at all like a whip.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,954 Posts
I have a 3 foot fire twig. I like it. It dosnt stick up above my top, but i can hear just fine and talk to people on the trail. I also sniffed out a smokie once.:D

corey d

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
4ft Firestick Firefly.. Works great... And it has slammed into some tree branches and still works.. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
962 Posts
4 foot firestik mounted on the carrier sometimes, sometimes a 102" SS whip tied off to the windshield footman loop for fun.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I have a 4' firestick and had no problems. It's mounted to the spare carrier and extends about 2' above the roof line. It's caught some branches in the pines but no problems yet!!!!!! knock, knock!!!!!:beer:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Technically speaking, most if not all antennas made for CBs have the same amount of wire in them, 102". If you have a 102" whip, thats it, if you have a 4' firestick, 3' whatever, they all have 102" of wire in them. What makes the difference in the shorter antennas is the way they are wrapped. I use a regular ol 4' whip that is top loaded. Being top loaded means that the majority of the wraps of the antenna wire are on the upper part of the antenna for better reception. Different antenna loadings are for different setups, if you are a trucker, you may not need a top loaded antenna because it sits so high in the first place and your rolling down a highway. For us off road types, we may want it because it gives us a little more range due to elevation changes, etc on trails. To get a true full wavelength antenna, the antenna or wire would have to be over 39 feet long for best reception. Most antennas available today are 102", or 1/4 wavelength antennas. Cheapo antennas can be found in 1/8 wavelength, but probably wouldn't be recommended.

Hope this helps. Might want to just go with whats gonna work in your setup, and not worry so much about brand or size. ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey thanks all. :beer::beer: I had been looking at the fire stick firefly myself, you guys just confirmed my decision. Im gonna see if I can pick one up this weekend and install my CB. Thanks again.:beer:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts