JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a fairly well loaded JKU Sport. The one I have my eye on stickers out at just under 33K. This is close to what I would pay for a very lightly optioned Sahara or Rubicon.

The question I have is when I go to sell the car, what model will retain the greatest percent of it's original purchase. The reason I ask is because I went to trade in a car that had every option available and it seems that they look at the wholesale value of the base car without the options when they try to price out the car. In the case of the JK, the base price of the sport is way below the base price of the Sahara or Rubicon and heavily optioning out the sport may be more expensive in the long run.

I like the tires on the Rubi, but given that it will be a daily driver and when offroad is not likely to need lockers or the low low xfer case, I can't see buying that model unless it holds it's price better, in which case it might be less expensive in the long run.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
IMO Jeeps in general tend to hold value pretty well compared to other vehicle models. Its really going to depend on your market when you go to sell it and where you're trying to sell it. Around here, it seems that the Rubi's hold more value than the other models, but it may be different for your area. The other thing you might consider: used Jeeps are a pretty hot market for private buyers...especially ones that are untouched (hardly modified) and are well taken care of. When you go to sell it you can always post up on here to try to get a sale or if you'd rather go to a dealer, the members of this forum can at least give you an idea of whats a fair price for a dealer to offer you on a trade in. If you really think you're not going to use the features of the Rubicon then why spend the extra $$ on it? Any model you buy is going to depreciate over time, and since the Rubi costs more its got the potential to lose more value (especially since you'd be buying it and not using what you're paying extra for). Id say go for the Sport or Sahara and get the features you want. No sense in hating your choice or spending extra on something you don't need but thats just my .02 :beer:

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
The used JK is your answer. Let the first three years of depreciation happen and pick up a low-mileage 2009 and be a happy camper.
Ditto. Pre-2012s will come into the used market this year as people trade off to get the new engine/trans. Check your local auto shopper, online ads, etc. Dealers that take them in trade will try and screw you like a tied up sheep on them, so be careful. They will command a premium used, but they won't be worth what they sold for new as many dealers are trying to pull off.

Bear in mind that there is presently a shortage of good late model used vehicles, particularly trucks & SUVs, due to the poor sales years '07 - '10. Industry analysts expect the situation to last through 2014. Dealers are scrambling to find good used vehicles because they just aren't available in sufficient numbers via auctions and the normal trade-in processes. Naturally they won't mention this to prospective customers. They are generally low-balling trade ins, then putting huge markups on them for resale. Forewarned is forearmed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just read a story last week about which vehicles had the greatest percentage of value after 5 years. The leader by a big margin was Jeep Wrangler - more than BMW, Mercedes, Lexis. Values will change over time based on customer desires, economic conditions, etc. so don't worry about that - get what you want and enjoy it.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
It's a poor idea to buy a vehicle and trying to expect to make anything out of it when it's done...to me. If I buy a vehicle, I'll run as I please as long as I please. Whatever it's worth after I'm done with it is negligible. However a Rubicon will hold more value over an X, at least from what I've seen.

..You'll be much happier just buying what you want and enjoying it.

Nothing will suck the fun out of a Jeep like worrying what someone else will pay you for it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Sahara is going to hold more value for resale than the Rubicon. Most people buying jeeps don't need the Rubicon options so they aren't going to value them. The Sahara is the top of the line for consumer on road.
If you are getting a Jeep for offroading a Used Rubicon can be a nice purchase for the same reason.

·
Registered
402 Posts
The Sahara is going to hold more value for resale than the Rubicon. Most people buying jeeps don't need the Rubicon options so they aren't going to value them. The Sahara is the top of the line for consumer on road.
If you are getting a Jeep for offroading a Used Rubicon can be a nice purchase for the same reason.
That's just false. The Rubicon is top of the line, period. Rubicons always fetch a premium in the used market. Always have since they were introduced in '03. And they always will. You look in any classified ads, auction site, car lot, etc. and you will find Rubicons go for much higher price than any Jeep of the same year and similar mileage. Hell, even my 2007 2-door Rubicon is worth more than my wife's 2009 Unlimited X. Both have same options (hard top, power windows, NAV, etc.) and similar mileage.

Most people buying Mustangs, Cameros, etc. don't NEED V8 power either, but you're sure as shit not going to find an optioned out V6 model of the same make sell for higher than even a plain jane V8.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
In the 9 jeeps that I have purchased and sold 8 the Rubicon always seems to hold the value the best. Bought and sold in FL, NC and CO because that may or may not make a difference. Of the 9 I am now on my 3rd JK and will tell you the 4 door does better than the 2.

·
Registered
132 Posts
don't worry about what's going to hold it's value....are you buying it to resell or are you buying it to own a jeep? I bought my sport becuase it had what I wanted...I wanted something I could take off road but still use as my daily....and I didn't need all the bells and whistles....I plan on driving this thing until it dies ... and then I'll probably fix it and keep it going until it falls apart.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Without doing any significant research, I would say the Rubicon Models will depreciate the least. I bought my 2007 2Dr Rubicon about 2 and a half years ago and put approximately 50K milies on it, and it has only depreciated about $2000 from what I bought it for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few months ago I was going to trade my 10 w/15000 miles for a 12. Blue book listed the 10 worth $29500 trade in. I worked the dealer up to $29000. The 12 didnt turn out as what I watned (3.21's) so I cooled off.

The other day they had a 12 listed with $2000 off sticker. I'm thinking with thier $29000 offer I'll make out great. Till I looked at KBB. A few months later & 18000 miles, it dropped to $27500. WOW. Dealer said everyone is wanting a 12. And some dealers still have lots full of 11's. I've even seen a new 10 on a lot.

I bought the 12 Saraha anyway as I ended up with a new Jeep for $50 less per month than I was paying for the 10. :beer:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Value

All I know is I set out originally to buy a used well maintained Jeep Wrangler with low miles. My use is going to farm land, inclement weather here and some trips to the lake house. After months of looking and seeing what the used ones cost I bought a new 2012 Wrangler Sport oh and I had to opt for the new engine. I was really surprised at the resale value of the Jeeps I looked at. My BMW's, Mercedes etc never held value like that

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
All I know is I set out originally to buy a used well maintained Jeep Wrangler with low miles. My use is going to farm land, inclement weather here and some trips to the lake house. After months of looking and seeing what the used ones cost I bought a new 2012 Wrangler Sport oh and I had to opt for the new engine. I was really surprised at the resale value of the Jeeps I looked at. My BMW's, Mercedes etc never held value like that
ya sometimes it's just not worth buying used...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.