JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/Q8btWY

@ times 14, 27, 35, 1:22.
It only comes at 5mph. I took it to the dealer and they said it was somethig in the muffler that has broke off(?) and are replacing the muffler under good will (2012 and just out of warranty). I have never noticed it before, until shortly after I had a new bumper (Smittybuilt) installed. Any ideas??

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a heat shield attached to your exhaust just past the transfer case, towards the rear. The spot welds break apart over time, and cause the vibration that you're hearing. The problem is easily fixed with a few hose clamps around the heat shield part, where the spot welds are broken. That's what I did for my '07, haven't heard it since. It's a very common problem.

·
Registered
592 Posts
^ hes right. My heat shields in the exhaust pipe broke loose and i used pipe clamps to fix it

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
That's the same thing I used to ask after I'd pull my dad's finger. :thefinger:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will check for that... I'm still going to have them replace the muffler being they said that's the issue (replacing for free!).

·
Registered
121 Posts
If the new bumper is in the rear check that they didn't install it too close rubbing the body. It happened to me, drove me nuts for months. The dealer never found it. They wanted to change exhaust mounts.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My muffler touches my new bumper and makes horrible noise, especially when it is cold. Well it did, I took the muffler off a couple hours ago.
I also noticed that the rear heat shield that goes above the muffler was bent and touching the muffler. It is just glorified tin foil so I bent it back. Check that on yours also...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The new one is on the front. I never noticed this noise until the new bumper was installed. Maybe a coincidence?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts