JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And more importantly, how do you fix it when it is broke? The part of the sensor that enters the hub broke off flush with the surface it mounts to. I should be able to drill and pull the rest of it out, but how do you repair the wire once you get the new sensor? Is it a cut and splice type of deal?

I have a Rubicon - D44 front axle - and am chaning out the axle shaft U-joints. Did passenger side last week, sensor came out with no issues. This side when I pulled it, it broke. Lots of rust on the break surface (and it is a plastic part), so I am guessing it has been broke for a while, but was still working. I'll have to get the new sensor, but the wire that attaches it doesn't feel like a normal wire you'd cut and splice.

Anybody been there yet? Any help would be appreciated!!

Craig

· Registered
6,372 Posts
thats your vehicle speed sensor (ABS) wire
follow it up and theres a plug behind the shock tower.
its a PITA to get to, but it unplugs behind the tower.

good news is the part isnt too expensive, I think the dealer gets like $18 for it.

If you need to drive without it till you get one, pull the J6 fuse and it will disable ABS and traction control - you'll have dash lights but the Jeep will at least be drivable

· Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I am all set.

I happen to have an extra axle sitting around under a bunch of stuff and luckily it had the sensors in it still. I got the piece out of the hub by drilling a small hole in it, screwing in a small screw into the hole and putting it out with a claw hammer. Came out nice and easy.

Took the sensor off the other axle and installed it. Man, it was a PITA to get that harness unplugged and plugged back in . Scrapped the heck out of my hands, but got it!

After a couple starts the ABS light went off and all is well in the world again!

· Registered
7,254 Posts
Took the sensor off the other axle and installed it. Man, it was a PITA to get that harness unplugged and plugged back in . Scrapped the heck out of my hands, but got it!

After a couple starts the ABS light went off and all is well in the world again!
The plug is mounted to the back of the shock tower with those little plastic christmas tree looking push ins, you can remove them from the shock tower, that will give you some slack in the wiring and you can then see what you are doing with the connector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.