JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I don't have enough cash to get a full skid set so I'm trying to determine the type of skid that folks feel is most important for a 4 dr to protect during High Centering.

I'm going out in August next and I don't want to get caught up and tear the underside of the JK. If you had to buy 1 skid first which would it be. I'm seriously thing the Engine,oil pan skid or the tranny.

·
Registered
774 Posts
It depends on the wheeling you do. I think you need rocker protection first. I personally have never hit the oil pan or the engine (people that have usually cause prety good damage). The tranny/tcase is protected by the cross member,(not the greatest).

·
Registered
279 Posts
I would have to say the gas tank skid...

This is the one that gets beat on the most on the 4 door due to the length... all my factory skids look good except the gas tank skid.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
my gas tank skid is beat up, but holding up just fine. i would say get one that protects the oil pan. it hangs down pretty low, and is very exposed, imho.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I have a question first, do you have the factory tranny and t-case skid plates?

You can drive home with a bent gas tank skid, but not with a smashed tranny or t-case.

I've yet to hit my oil pan, but I threw on a Rancho oil pan skid just in case I do. I've beaten on the gas tank and t-case skids more than anything else.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Of the skids that are underneath our Jeeps, I'd say that the gas tank skid is the weakest. I wrestled with this question for a while, but taking a long hard look at the transfer case and transmission skids helped me make my decision. Both of them are pretty substantial while the gas tank skid is tin foil.

OBTW, here's an article I wrote for Off-Road.com on this very subject.
OBTW II - Big thanks to RotorHead for the carnage pictures :smokin:

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
IMHO, the most vulnerable point underneath our JK's is that one item that will stop you dead in your tracks, with no chance of return unless you happen to have a spare handy...and it's not even protected with so much as Saran Wrap...the Evaporator Cannister...definitely have one if going off roading (a skid, that is)...all the other stuff can take some fair to midlin' hits, but the cannister will not.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
your jk already has a gas tank skid, so if you are going to spend money, it doesn't make sense to replace it, when there are other areas that are vulnerable.

·
Registered
774 Posts
IMHO, the most vulnerable point underneath our JK's is that one item that will stop you dead in your tracks, with no chance of return unless you happen to have a spare handy...and it's not even protected with so much as Saran Wrap...the Evaporator Cannister...definitely have one if going off roading (a skid, that is)...all the other stuff can take some fair to midlin' hits, but the cannister will not.
Your evap canister is definatly a problem (that is why I relocated mine) but you would still be able to drive home. You would just get a major check engine light but the engine would still function. All the evap system does is recycle the fuel fumes so they don't escape into the air.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Your evap canister is definatly a problem (that is why I relocated mine) but you would still be able to drive home. You would just get a major check engine light but the engine would still function. All the evap system does is recycle the fuel fumes so they don't escape into the air.
I have seen JK's no longer running because of the evap can getting severely damaged, but I will assume it is possible for one to get home without it...

I'll second this, but give the qualifier that I think you should relocate the evap canister, NOT add a skid plate to it. Woods makes a great kit. I think his site is www.4xFix.com or www.JeepSchwag.com.... something like that anyway. ;)

This may be true, but folks I know who have the Rock Hard skid have taken some brutal hits on the skid, and the can is still fine...either way, it's that can, more then anything else, I believe needs some attention, if one is on a very limited budget and wants to take care of something real weak in the undercarriage before off roading.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess now you understand the question. I think we have covered all the skids so far in the discussion. I guess for me the tranny and the gas are the most dinged up so I should start there.

Rear shock left is ticked also so that might be the first to protect.

A

·
0 Posts
I have unplugged mine and the vehicle still runs.
X2

Mine was unplugged for a couple of days and ran fine. It tripped the check engine light but as soon as I plugged it back in the light went out.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have seen JK's no longer running because of the evap can getting severely damaged, but I will assume it is possible for one to get home without it...
I'm not trying to create argument, but the evap system is for fuel vapors only. It would be not different than removing the gas cap. I would think they did something else to cause it to not run.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I'm not trying to create argument, but the evap system is for fuel vapors only. It would be not different than removing the gas cap. I would think they did something else to cause it to not run.

Not thinking you were fish...I'm sure there may have been other resons for total shut down;)

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I guess now you understand the question. I think we have covered all the skids so far in the discussion. I guess for me the tranny and the gas are the most dinged up so I should start there.

Rear shock left is ticked also so that might be the first to protect.
they may be dinged up, but are they physically failing? i'd guess they're not. spend the money to protect something that isn't already protected.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Gas Tank. I've lost about 1.5 gallons of capacity.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they may be dinged up, but are they physically failing? i'd guess they're not. spend the money to protect something that isn't already protected.
good point, didn't think the stock skids would support on a high center scenario. I was hoping to protect first before going into the more aggressive trails.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts