JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
833 Posts
Way too many options to list. I'd try to narrow your search by thinking about how you intend to use it. Is it going to be just for trails or for on road use too? Do you want a small handheld unit or a larger one? I have the cobra 75, which works great for me and the antenna is wired up with the cool tech license plate mount.

· Registered
95 Posts
I am looking for one too. Like stated above, think about what you are going to do with it and where you are going to mount it. Full size or compact? I believe that the law states 4 watts is the max power that a CB can have. A solid install/setup is important to get the most out of the radio that you do select.

· Registered
254 Posts
I love my Midland 75-822. It works as a mobile radio when installed in the Jeep, but it converts to a handheld radio in 30 seconds by snapping a battery pack on the bottom and a rubber duck antenna on top. It can easily be used with a linear just as with any other CB.

· Registered
427 Posts
I have the cobra 75, which works great for me and the antenna is wired up with the cool tech license plate mount.
That's what I have.

I went with that because the CB part that you use quickly detaches from a small base (where the antenna and power connect). The base stays mounted in my JK, hidden under the glove box area. Since the CB part is easily/quickly detached/reattached, I only have it in my JK on trail runs when I need it. The rest of the time it's in my garage.

I run w/o doors from May-Oct, so I like not having to worry about a permanently mounted CB that can be stolen or gotten wet.

I got the entire kit (CB, antenna, coax, receiver mount) from CoolTech. It's been great. I did change from the license plate mount to the gate mount after 3 years because I kept hitting my license plate when off-road, so I moved it (and the antenna) to the tailgate.

· Registered
1,184 Posts
You may want to check out Copper Electronics online. They have everything. If you want a monster power radio you can get a 10 meter expanded to work on CB channels.

· Registered
2,117 Posts
I have a cobra 75 with an oem looking mount that Jason made. Look in his build thread for a picture.

I also have an external speaker that hides in the glove box so I can hear it over my radio and not have to fuss around.

:)

· Registered
1,929 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. I had a galaxy 959 in my old yj and it worked great. I now have a cobra 25 with some "extras" and it works great... You could get a 25 then peak and tune it and youll be good. A lot of jeep guys are running the 75 too since its so compact.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.