JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed this little streak that runs all the way around the driver rear tire. It was only on that tire until I rotated (F to R) and now the tire that was driver front has it as well. doesn't seem to be happening to the front, only the rear and only the drivers side. I can't see where it has rubbed anywhere around the suspension, track bars, fender well, etc. I am running 285/70/17 Duratracs on stock wheels, no wheel spacers. RC 2 1/2" BB.

I do use one of those "put it in neutral, foot off the brake" car washes, could that be the culprit?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the drop bracket. Nothing near the tire has any dirt missing. I'm assuming this doesn't happen everytime the tire rolls because it would have chaffed through the tire in the 9 months I've had them.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sway bar is about 3/4" away from tire, and there is no evidence of any rubbing anywhere on it. I'm leaning towards the car wash.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Sway bar is about 3/4" away from tire, and there is no evidence of any rubbing anywhere on it. I'm leaning towards the car wash.
That's pretty close, especially considering the sway bar can move side to side. It isn't held in place. It floats freely in bushings. Is the rub on both tires, or just one? Is the sway bar pushed further towards one side that the other?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Notice all the deep gauges and scars in the sidewall of the tire? I bet that same sway bar is rubbing the rear tire too in the same position (check it, you'll see Im right!) Maybe it's the driveshaft? Or the transfer case?

·
Registered
453 Posts
1. Drive through the dirt to get the tires dirty.

2. Drive around town for a while (don't go to the car wash) and see if the rub marks appear. If so, it's not the carwash, find what it is. If the rub marks do not appear, go to the car wash and move to step 3.

3. Enter car wash look for rub marks after exiting car wash. If rub marks appear it's the car wash.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Driveshaft or t-case? Are you on crack?:laughing:
That's what I was thinking about the previous comments! I was going to mention something about his blinker fluid level being low, but withheld that comment. If you didnt notice the humor in that statement, Im sorry.

1. Drive through the dirt to get the tires dirty.

2. Drive around town for a while (don't go to the car wash) and see if the rub marks appear. If so, it's not the carwash, find what it is. If the rub marks do not appear, go to the car wash and move to step 3.

3. Enter car wash look for rub marks after exiting car wash. If rub marks appear it's the car wash.
Now there my friends is an objective way to scientifically answer the question at hand.

OR, you could just check the rear tire on the same side for the same marks seeing as how it goes through the same channel at the car wash as I stated previously (albeit with a heavy dose of sarcasm). Im certain Im right, but I have been known to be wrong before and if that's the case then Im interested in the answer, because mine has the same marks on both of the drivers side tires. :) Just saying.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't even find my blinker fluid reservoir, I'm screwed!!!
Nicholsmf, thanks for the very systematic approach, definitely need to try that!
And for the record I noticed this only on my driver rear tire a while back. Got the tires rotated F to R and noticed it again on the driver rear. There is still a little sign of it on the driver front but not as prominent.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Odds are its the swaybar rubbing when you turn right at speed. The tire will pull to the right as the wheel is pulled left with mass of the jeep wanting to go straight. There is a reason people recommend wheel spacers for he stock wheels. The dirt or chalk idea are great. I hope you find the culprit.

·
Registered
453 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.