JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
The short answer is that they are actually BEADLOCKS- referring to the bead of the tire being seated between the two "clamping" surfaces of the beadlock rim. The main advantage of these is that you can air down considerably further than with a standard rim. They are usually much more money and usually used on trail only vehicles because of many states unwillingness to list them as DOT approved.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I think you mean beadlocks
they secure the tire bead to the rim to keep the bead from unseating when you let the air out of the tires down to just a few psi for better off road performance

·
Registered
394 Posts
A "bed lock" is what it is to be married.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The short answer is that they are actually BEADLOCKS- referring to the bead of the tire being seated between the two "clamping" surfaces of the beadlock rim. The main advantage of these is that you can air down considerably further than with a standard rim. They are usually much more money and usually used on trail only vehicles because of many states unwillingness to list them as DOT approved.
The states have no problem with approving them...the MAKERS are the ones who need to SUBMIT them, which costs money.

SOME makers of Bead Locks DID submit theirs, and ALL submitted were approved....AEV for example, etc.

If you want to run bead locks on the street - that's the only legal way.

The hedge the bet way is to run internal bead locks, so they don't show, and you get away with it.

:D

G

·
SOME makers of Bead Locks DID submit theirs, and ALL submitted were approved....AEV for example, etc.

If you want to run bead locks on the street - that's the only legal way.
Negative. Beadlocks do not have to be DOT approved to be legal. Not one state has a law making non DOT approved beadlocks illegal.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
A "bed lock" is what it is to be married.
No.... I think what he's referring to is that kinky S&M thing involving leather, steel, latex, etc. :eek: :devil: :laughing: :innocent:

Seriously though...

The others are correct. You mean "Beadlock" and it is a mecanical means of clamping the tires beads to the rim so that the tire does not do this:

You can do this with either a beadlock wheel, or an internal beadlock like Staun's. Here's an article detailing the Staun Internal Beadlock if you're interested.

·
Premium Member
15,290 Posts
I think that the problem is that the DOT has never written a specification for them to comply with. Beadlocks are not federally approved because the locking bolts can come loose causing the tire to fail at high speed. There is no state or federal mandate in the U.S. that says you can't run them- but since the owner of the vehicle modified it with beadlocks, then the owner assumes liability if they fail. That to me seems like a real gray area regarding local or state law enforcement resposibility to issue a ticket for running them. This is just my personal interpretation of how things are written (or not) regarding the legality of this issue. Totally JMO as I understand it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.