JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get all of your guys' inputs on what it takes to properly run 37's on a JK. I know there are many people on here who run 37in tires, but who has really taken the different factors acting on the various JK systems from the addition of these large meats into consideration before throwing them on? And, what does it take so you aren't just bolting on a ticking timebomb?

From my knowledge, the systems that are affected when putting these large tires on our Jeeps are pretty much just the axles. The differential gearing negates any effect on the drivetrain from added stressors from the larger tires, and since the wheels are unsprung weight, you don't need to worry about the suspension...am I missing anything?

With that, however, there are different choices to make with the axles...stay with the Dana 44's (assuming you have a Rubicon, or upgraded to 44's), or move up to Dana 60's? If you were to stay with the 44's, one would need to upgrade gears and axleshafts in addition to bracing at the front c's to compensate for the added stress from the larger tires. That bracing is what clues me in to that 37's might not be such a good choice for the 44's...that they are simply just not designed for such big of a tire. With some of the freak failures of the axle housings just snapping in half, that persuades me even more that the 44's are not such a good choice.

Dana 60's, on the other hand, are admittedly pretty costly, however they are pretty much guaranteed to be able to handle 37in tires with ease and could run larger without any second thoughts. I'm not all that familiar with Dana 60's, so this is where I need help also. Do you need to upgrade to a new suspension, driveshafts, and steering components? I've seen the Currie Rock Jock 60's and the Dynatrac Pro Rock 60's, and from what I can tell, they have JK bracketry, but does that mean I can bolt my current suspension right up into the same exact places they're at on my 44's? How will the JK's electronics fair with the Dana 60's? What kind of work is involved in setting up Dana 60's?

What my question boils down to is if the Dana 60 is the proper way to run 37's?...if running a Dana 44, even with those upgraded parts (gears, axleshafts, bracing), is just a ticking bomb waiting to go?

Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I've seen JK's with 37's wheeled pretty hard on 44's with no issues, but some people will break stuff with 33's or 35's. It all depends on how much abuse you give the axles.

I'm not seeing a lot of 44's having problems, they are pretty strong and stronger than previous 44's, so I don't think it is major issue.

That said, if I were doing it all again, I'd likely buy the cheapest 2WD X I could find and throw in some 60's and an Atlas, and run 40's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I answered your other thread about this, but I'd like to add a few things...

Phil and Alec both wheel their JK Rubi's HARD (just take a look at their pix), and other than Alec's wheel falling off on the interstate ( ;) ), I haven't heard either of them having issues running 37" tires on their D44 axles.

However, the both of them are excellent drivers from what I've seen. Me however, I'm more skinny pedal and have yet to meet an obstacle I haven't tried to get over, so I personally think I saved a lot of cash repairing 44's by getting the 60's. Also, I off-road more than 1/2 the people who go off-road. Well, not over here I don't, but I will when I get back to the States.

It's going to come down to you and your driving ability in the end. Although, even if you're not very experienced, as long as you KNOW you're not very experienced and drive accordingly, then you shouldn't have a problem making the 44's last (others have done so).

Oh...and no vehicle is bulletproof. You WILL break SOMETHING. Accept it...so when you do, you'll laugh and not let it get you down. You got to pay to play. :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I answered your other thread about this, but I'd like to add a few things...

Phil and Alec both wheel their JK Rubi's HARD (just take a look at their pix), and other than Alec's wheel falling off on the interstate ( ;) ), I haven't heard either of them having issues running 37" tires on their D44 axles.

However, the both of them are excellent drivers from what I've seen. Me however, I'm more skinny pedal and have yet to meet an obstacle I haven't tried to get over, so I personally think I saved a lot of cash repairing 44's by getting the 60's. Also, I off-road more than 1/2 the people who go off-road. Well, not over here I don't, but I will when I get back to the States.

It's going to come down to you and your driving ability in the end. Although, even if you're not very experienced, as long as you KNOW you're not very experienced and drive accordingly, then you shouldn't have a problem making the 44's last (others have done so).

Oh...and no vehicle is bulletproof. You WILL break SOMETHING. Accept it...so when you do, you'll laugh and not let it get you down. You got to pay to play. :)

Heh, thanks Jason...just trying to get second opinions. I usually take it pretty easy when I'm on the street, but try to amp it up a little off road when possible.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've seen JK's with 37's wheeled pretty hard on 44's with no issues, but some people will break stuff with 33's or 35's. It all depends on how much abuse you give the axles.

I'm not seeing a lot of 44's having problems, they are pretty strong and stronger than previous 44's, so I don't think it is major issue.

That said, if I were doing it all again, I'd likely buy the cheapest 2WD X I could find and throw in some 60's and an Atlas, and run 40's.

I was just thinking about this myself the other day...

Too late now.. too much money invested in this one

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Heh, thanks Jason...just trying to get second opinions. I usually take it pretty easy when I'm on the street, but try to amp it up a little off road when possible.
DO IT!!! Come on, Colin. I got a new hill for ya out at Wildomar!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Was a witness to that once and Colin you rocked!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Superiors

·
Banned
81 Posts
Does that mean you can run 37's day in and day out if its straight pavement pounding and no off roading. 37's just to get from place to place?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Lifted,
Yes you can run 37s day in and day out. My JK is on 37s and it's my daily driver. You'd definitely need to regear it if you plan on highway driving or live in an area with anything more than a moderate incline as the 37s will really slow you down (OD became pretty much useless on the highway when I still had the 4.10s).

Frankly I think you'd have to do LESS to your JK to use 37s for daily street use than if you were going to use it mainly offroad.

Edit and I just read your sig and you've got the 5.13s so you'd be just fine using them day in and day out I think. I've been really pleased with the 37s and their on road manners.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i run 37"s on mine its a dd that sees a few trails a month i havent had any problems yet other than not near enough power in the sand gears will fix that though when i get around to them.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I really like my 37's. I have a teraflex long arm lift with their "high steer" kit, 5.13 gears, hand spun drive shafts, and got an AEV procal. That combination gives me a pretty damn near stock feel compared to my rubicon prior to lift. I also have more offroad capability than I'm likely to need in the short term. I think the only other upgrade I'd like to make would be cromo shafts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts