JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Simple, open-ended question. What would you like to see from this place? Right now it's a small bulletin board only site. What would you like to see it become?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Hi Lance, I'd like to see some more vendors onboard so we could get some group buys going.....not that we couldn't do that with the existing ones.....

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Only thing I can think of, would there be a way to set up a section for each of the sponsors who pay? (not sure how the sponsorship works here). That way instead of having one section with tons of info from different vendors, the paying vendors would each have their own section so it is easier to find things they post. I know a few times I have tried to go back through the vendor section because I remember a thread with a link and a picture of a product and it took forever.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I think this site is great and is where I spend the majority of my time.

I would like to see more catogories to post in. For example, liek what was said above, would be nice if some of the vendors could have their own sections.

The photo section is nice but it is hard to post up trip reports. Woudl be nice to see the scrapbook opened back up and also add a trip report photo section section.

We need more tech as well. I know the tech threads will increase as the board grows but it would be nice to see a few more board or vendor created tech articles to drive that increase.

The only other thing I would like to see is more jkowners or vendor give aways, meet and greets and trips/101 to build a little more of a "community" here

Thanks for taking the time to ask our feedback Lance :beer::beer:

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
How about a map of the U.S. You click on a state and you're taken to a page that lists all of the places to go offroading in that state. Also, it could include links to the state's laws regarding vehicle modifications, laws about driving offroad in places other than an offroad park (on a power line trail for example). Let member's make comments...maybe long-time residents know of some nice camping spots or riding trails that most people wouldn't know about or that you couldn't find using a search engine. Word of mouth stuff like that.

Since most of us are "outdoors" type people, maybe this site could expand by going into other areas related to Jeeping. Not all of us are in to crawling over rocks or seeing how muddy we can get. Camping, fishing, hunting, sight seeing, etc. could be considered stuff related to a "JK Owner".

Just taking what's at the top of my head and throwing it out there. :D

·
Registered
913 Posts
I really enjoy the freedom of this site and it feels like a true community. I would say do not ever change that! I agree with WTF. I think expanding the sections on the board would be a great idea!! A section for Trails and Trips would be nice. There is a whole thread that discusses the need for a different way to post pictures about your JK. The photo album is great and should stay, however a threaded section for Show your Jeep, or something would be nice. Getting vendors more involved would be nice as well... I think having some merchandise or logo's would help increase awareness of your site as well...

Thanks for the site Lance!!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
nice idea on the trail maps and Stickers. I was thinking it would be nice to get a little more advertising

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hey Lance, thanks for asking. :)

I will echo entirely what WTF_LOL said above. Of those the things, the ones I care most about would be resurrection of the Scrapbook or creation of a Trip Report section, and then more things to build our community: Vendor giveaways, meet and greets, etc.

Oh, and one final thing...

To sink Eddie and his little corner of totalitarianism :devil: :laughing:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
more categories
scrapbook section to list trail ride picks and other type pics
Maybe a regional section for posting rides and meets
land usage section with regional containers for placing maps and land usage info
More pictures and video from Lance

More pictures and video from Lance

Did I mention more lance pics? :beer:

Anyway, I think you've got a great site here with a good bunch of people. We just need to continue to grow so the posting frequency will pick up more.

Thanks for asking for our opinions. :beer:

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I havent been around for too long, but i love this forum. I log in every day looking for new info, threads and write ups. There is a lot of great ideas suggested up in here that i would like to see in the future.

Giveaways are great, The Map idea and the meet and greet is fantastic. And the vendors really can get more involved with the forum. More sections to just post pics and build up a stronger community.m

Also a Jeep Of The Month section would be nice. Just to showcase the diferent tipes of jeep build up styles out there. Just for the pride of the owner having their jeep selected and a giveaway for it wont be bad neither you know. There should be 3 categories for Jeep Of The Month.

1. Stock Jeep Of The Month
2. Mild Mod Jeep Of The Month
3. Extreme Mod Jeep Of The Month

The parametters for this should be posted in the thread and im pretty sure there will be some good competition in all 3 categories.

Hope to see some or all of this ideas up and running soon.

Count with my support.:) And Thanks for leeting us voice our opinios Lance:beer:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
How about a map of the U.S. You click on a state and you're taken to a page that lists all of the places to go offroading in that state. Also, it could include links to the state's laws regarding vehicle modifications, laws about driving offroad in places other than an offroad park (on a power line trail for example). Let member's make comments...maybe long-time residents know of some nice camping spots or riding trails that most people wouldn't know about or that you couldn't find using a search engine. Word of mouth stuff like that.

Since most of us are "outdoors" type people, maybe this site could expand by going into other areas related to Jeeping. Not all of us are in to crawling over rocks or seeing how muddy we can get. Camping, fishing, hunting, sight seeing, etc. could be considered stuff related to a "JK Owner".

Just taking what's at the top of my head and throwing it out there. :D

X2:smokin:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks for asking Lance.

I think a trip reports section would be great. However, I think we need to reduce a couple of sections. Do we really need General, New Products and Modified Tech? A lot of the same things come up in all three. Why not just combine them all into General? The way it is now makes it a little difficult to find old threads when you don't know which of the three to look in (yeah, I know, SEARCH :thefinger:). I think it is also a little confusing for newbies to know just which section to post in. Finally, some of us don't have a lot of time to spend on forums, so one or two sections to check would make it a little quicker.

Thanks again,
peter

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
Thanks for asking Lance.

I think a trip reports section would be great. However, I think we need to reduce a couple of sections. Do we really need General, New Products and Modified Tech? A lot of the same things come up in all three. Why not just combine them all into General? The way it is now makes it a little difficult to find old threads when you don't know which of the three to look in (yeah, I know, SEARCH :thefinger:). I think it is also a little confusing for newbies to know just which section to post in. Finally, some of us don't have a lot of time to spend on forums, so one or two sections to check would make it a little quicker.

Thanks again,
peter

I think that it is a little more confusing right now while there is very few threads but, in the future, when there are hundreds of thousands of threads it will be best to have more catagories. I personnaly think there is not enough with the way it is set up now.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think that it is a little more confusing right now while there is very few threads but, in the future, when there are hundreds of thousands of threads it will be best to have more catagories. I personnaly think there is not enough with the way it is set up now.

Well, I had another response I was going to post but after checking out JK-Forum, I understand what you are talking about now. 4 pages in 24 hours in Modified JK Tech. That is a little hard to digest in one section! Most of the other forums I frequent including Pirate Gen4x4 and Colorado4x4 have just over a page of new threads or responses in one day!

I do think that having things too diversified with very few new posts hurts a site. One nice thing about forums is that questions are usually answered pretty quickly. If I go to a site and see that no one has posted to a section in few days, I tend to think the site is kind of dead and I don't come back very often. Even worse, I won't post a new thread there in fear that no one will look at it. How often do you check every section? I personally only check active sections that I am interested in on a regular basis. I will go to the slower sections occasionally when I am really bored at work or home.

Of course, I tend to be a lurker on most sites anyway :D

peter

·
Registered
184 Posts
BTW, while I'm whining (er suggesting :D), Colorado4x4 has a feature I really like. It does not reset read posts unless you actually read them for up to week I think. I know most site reset them after a set time (1/2 hour?).

And how about a suggestion box section? I know, it goes against my last post too :thefinger:

Thanks,

peter

·
Registered
184 Posts
I havent been around for too long, but i love this forum. I log in every day looking for new info, threads and write ups. There is a lot of great ideas suggested up in here that i would like to see in the future.

Giveaways are great, The Map idea and the meet and greet is fantastic. And the vendors really can get more involved with the forum. More sections to just post pics and build up a stronger community.m

Also a Jeep Of The Month section would be nice. Just to showcase the diferent tipes of jeep build up styles out there. Just for the pride of the owner having their jeep selected and a giveaway for it wont be bad neither you know. There should be 3 categories for Jeep Of The Month.

1. Stock Jeep Of The Month
2. Mild Mod Jeep Of The Month
3. Extreme Mod Jeep Of The Month

The parametters for this should be posted in the thread and im pretty sure there will be some good competition in all 3 categories.

Hope to see some or all of this ideas up and running soon.

Count with my support.:) And Thanks for leeting us voice our opinios Lance:beer:
x2! And I'd nominate myself as Mall Crawler of the Year :)

I think breaking down the Modified Tech and New Products in subcategories would definitely help (ie, Exterior, Interior, Engine, etc.).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
need to work on promotional giveaways to increase volumes.

Write-up could increase also as that would help. If folks could list out the writeups and then have a sticky with the write-ups broken by category that would help.

The community feeling is not really here. Would like to see the area leader concept started here and then a trail ride section. Northeast is a pretty big area to be coordinating trail rides.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
The community feeling is not really here. Would like to see the area leader concept started here and then a trail ride section. Northeast is a pretty big area to be coordinating trail rides.
Since NE Wrangling mentioned the area leader concept, I'll go ahead and expand on what I mentioned in my previous post regarding the map of the U.S. and having each state's offroading areas listed. I use to visit a firearms related site which had a similar setup. You select a state and all of the info you need regarding concealed carry and firearm laws could be found there. When that site was in its prime, it was THEE PLACE on the net to get that type of info until the owner decided to take on another venture and let the site go to crap. Each state had its own admin who was responsible for keeping his/her state's page up to date. Something similar could be done here. Trail ride organization, for instance, could be better targeted that way instead of having an "area". Make it state specific.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I do think that having things too diversified with very few new posts hurts a site. One nice thing about forums is that questions are usually answered pretty quickly. If I go to a site and see that no one has posted to a section in few days, I tend to think the site is kind of dead and I don't come back very often. Even worse, I won't post a new thread there in fear that no one will look at it. How often do you check every section? I personally only check active sections that I am interested in on a regular basis. I will go to the slower sections occasionally when I am really bored at work or home.
I totaly agree with you. I think when a forum is new it needs fewer sections or it will "appear" dead like you said and as it grows new sections need to be added or it gets too hard sometimes to search for certain things and just becomes jumbled. Seems to be a fine line for when to add new sections. Here is an example of a site I used to always be on when I had my Evo. I still think it is one of the best laid out and ran sites I have used.
http://forums.evolutionm.net/index.php
Look particularly at how they have their Market Place>Private for sale/wanted section and Vendor sections. Of course, it is a much bigger site. There is always 500-1000 people on at all hours of the day and their stats are: Threads: 331,699, Posts: 5,510,498, Members: 82,727

stewp97 said:
How often do you check every section? I personally only check active sections that I am interested in on a regular basis. I will go to the slower sections occasionally when I am really bored at work or home.

Of course, I tend to be a lurker on most sites anyway :D
lol, sadly enough I do as well. :D I actually only ever use the "new post" button and never go to the individual sections, I am on too much since there is only 5-10 new posts ech time I check lol

1 - 20 of 107 Posts